Nook vs. Kindle

Options

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    you can put nook on the kindle. we have a kindle and I love it for amazon prime videos as well. but it is the kindle fire.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have Nook tablets and we love them.
  • Amazonbella
    Amazonbella Posts: 338
    Options
    still love me a good old fashioned paperback, the feel, the smell of the pages, yep , I have a kindle and never used it but once.

ME TOO!!! I have a Nook, it's okay for when I am on the treadmill other than that I prefer a REAL BOOK :)
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I got a Nook touch and rooted it to install Android, so I now have a monochrome Android tablet with full PDF support for all the ebooks you could ever want :) it's fairly simple to do.. buy them secondhand so you're not out 100$ if you brick it!
  • joe_madre
    joe_madre Posts: 693
    Options

Did you read the entire article? They are moving towards producing a co-branded tablet while continuing to enhance its digital bookstore service (they add 4,000 titles a week) and reading app.

Couple that with the fact that in preparation for implementing these measures they have basically unlocked the Nook devices so that they function more as a true tablet while simultaneously reducing the price by up to $100 I would say that the Nook being discontinued is not necessarily as strong of an argument as you might think.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Kindle has WAY more free content available from Amazon.

For just reading, get the cheap eInk ones.

If you wanted a tablet (Kindle fire, etc) just get a Nexus 7.

The Nook "support" from B&N stores is a complete joke. They can show you how to use it, but any sort of support you might need/want they will just tell you to mail it in.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Nook HD has an SD card slot. Can load it up with as much as you possibly could wish for. That sold me more than anything.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    iPad! :)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Kindle by far. Nook(Barnes and Noble) are having lots of issues and may not be around much longer. Amazon(Kindle) will be here for decades.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have experience using both - that being said, for READING => the Nook is better - its the best e-reader. It also has the added benefit of a micro-SD slot which comes in handy since these devices typically don't have much internal space and cloud space is reserved for purchases (not for your own personal accumulated book catalog). I have lots of books in PDF and epub (standard e-book format) and with a 16 or 32gb SD - I can put as many books as I want on my device without worrying about space. Also, the SD slot (which Kindles don't have) allows you to root the device and use it like a regular Android tablet. Which means the regular Google Play store and not the scaled app selections offered to Nook and Kindle owners.

For Multimedia, the Kindle is better. I also feel like sound is better on the Kindle (again, media). I don't like that there are no buttons - you have to control volume on the Fire with touchscreen, annoying. In terms of reading on the Kindle - if you have Amazon Prime you get to loan books for reading, so it like having an unlimited library in your device.

IMHO to read ... the Nook is better. You can get the Nook app on the iPad or any other tablet but glare and glossy-ness (LOL) becomes an issue. For me, I couldn't read for extended periods on other devices because it bothered my eyes.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

Did you read the entire article? They are moving towards producing a co-branded tablet while continuing to enhance its digital bookstore service (they add 4,000 titles a week) and reading app.

Couple that with the fact that in preparation for implementing these measures they have basically unlocked the Nook devices so that they function more as a true tablet while simultaneously reducing the price by up to $100 I would say that the Nook being discontinued is not necessarily as strong of an argument as you might think.
    ]

Fair enough. But it's certainly something to consider.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Re: free content... Amazon is convenient, sure, but they sometimes charge for books that you can get for free here:

http://gutenberg.org/
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle Fire and a Kindle 3, which is a dedicated ereader. I love my Kindle 3. The Fire is great, but between my laptop and phone I have little use for it. Heck, my Kindle 3 got named I love it so much. Lol.
    I chose a Kindle over a Nook because I find customer service at Amazon above and beyond better than Barnes and Noble.
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning towards the paperwhite, but I was wondering. Does anyone have the Kobo? The little kobo is on sale this week for 39.99 and that is very tempting.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Re: free content... Amazon is convenient, sure, but they sometimes charge for books that you can get for free here:

http://gutenberg.org/

And you can always do that and import/convert stuff for either device.

But Amazon has a huge amount of non-gutenberg free (and cheap independent) stuff too.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a basic b&w Nook that my inlaws gave us. It serves it's purpose. The only thing I would change is getting one with "glow" so I can read at night without turning on a lamp.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I have Kindle Touch WiFi/3G, wife has Kindle Paperwhite (Touch) with backlight and WiFi only. They both generally only use our house WiFi, and we recharge them every month an a half or so. I use mine daily, she uses hers for about six hours a week.

They are awesome, and I recommend a touch based Kindle as an e-Reader any day of the week.

For "content consumption" movies, magazines, games, etc I recommend the Google Nexus 7. It can use the Kindle app, and is an amazing device. You'll just be charging it a whole lot more often.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I started out being heavily against e-readers. I like the smell, feel, and weight of a real book in my hands. But when I realized for travel and stuff how much more convenient a device would be vs bringing multiple books, I decided on the Kindle. I've had it for a little over two years now, and I LOVE it (Kindle Fire). I actually take it on trips with me and leave the laptop at home if it's not going to be a long trip. I haven't had much experience with the Nook, but they're both going pretty much down the same path as traditional tablets. Either way, just make sure you do your research (How many titles are available, etc) and decide what's best for you. Only thing I wish I could change about my Kindle is the fact that it does not have expandable memory, but I think they've changed that in updated models. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I started out being heavily against e-readers. I like the smell, feel, and weight of a real book in my hands. But when I realized for travel and stuff how much more convenient a device would be vs bringing multiple books, I decided on the Kindle. I've had it for a little over two years now, and I LOVE it (Kindle Fire). I actually take it on trips with me and leave the laptop at home if it's not going to be a long trip. I haven't had much experience with the Nook, but they're both going pretty much down the same path as traditional tablets. Either way, just make sure you do your research (How many titles are available, etc) and decide what's best for you. Only thing I wish I could change about my Kindle is the fact that it does not have expandable memory, but I think they've changed that in updated models. :)

You only have to get stuck in the subway for an hour once to stop hatin' on e-readers :)
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I love my basic Kindle reader. Works great outside which is so important this time of year. I've used both the Kindle and Nook apps on various devices and I definitely enjoyed the Kindle experience better. It synced much more smoothly than the Nook.