WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options
1858687888991»

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    new-year-pram-smiley-emoticon.gif

Started a post then decided I didn't like it so will start over later. Anyone going to Times Square for the countdown? If I don't get back on before some of you go to bed in the New Year - Happy Happy to you and see you in the New Year!
    Love you all

Gloria in WA
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies -

So glad to have a quiet evening with cat Shirley in my lap. Hubby doesn't get home til about 9. I'll have one of his favorite dinners ready. After he eats it will be straight to bed for him. I may be up at midnight reading my way into 2017.

WELCOME Newbies! The more the merrier. This is a great group of friends who will help you along on your journey. Be sure to sign your post with a "name" for us to call you. It's great to know where you are from, too.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

Toni
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Happy New Year !

Kindness
    and logging are my resolutions for 2017

I was already thinking about kindness when I saw on the news that at Times square they are going to be dropping notes about being kind.

The mantra is don't be mean in17.

Thanks for the reminder on how to change colors. I put it in my word documents.

:heart: Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Ladies~ we got home a little after 7 pm, I am bushed .. fed the dogs and already in my pajama's... see you all next year ;)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Just in case I don't make it to midnight, I want to say Happy New Year to all my friends. You've made me laugh and cry this year. I've seen your before and after pictures, your travels, your pets, your families and I thank you for sharing your journey with this group of wonderful women.
    SueBDew in TX.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gif We go to bed extra early so I've posted the new thread for January 2017.

Here is the link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10493965/women-ages-50-for-january-2017/p1?new=1

yoga-exercise-smiley-emoticon.gif Barbie
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Had a wonderful tome today with my family. So many wonderful things. Matt, the one who was a heroin addict looks so healthy. He is engaged and she is such a lovely girl. She loves his children so much and they love her. In the past years when the kids were here their mom kept them with her and were so quiet and didn't play. This year they all played together, all 6 little ones. 3 young girls from one nephew and 2 young girls and 1 boy from another nephew. My grand daughter who is 10 becomes a young child when there are other kids around. So we all enjoyed the kids. All the food was good, people decided to do gifts before I had got any desert so I guess that was good. My girls got me the Aleve tens unit. I am still discovering whether it is good. I do know I could comfortably get up to the bathroom after using it.

Sitting next to this humidifier makes me cold so I am all wrapped up. Speaking of wrapped up, both the grand daughters got those blankets that are shaped like a mermaid.

Joyce, contented in Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    [color-red]Donna – Welcome. When you have a good bit of weight to lose; you are much more likely to succeed if you break it down in smaller goals and not the total (which can be daunting). Measuring and/or weighing everything that passes your lips (even tasting while cooking) is also very important. We don’t always realize that the 3 teaspoons we eat to taste our food cooking; quickly adds up to a Tbsp., then before you know it you are dishing up a small cup to get a really good taste. I know I was pretty guilty of that, especially with chili to make sure it was salty and/or ‘spicy’ enough. Also, exercising daily, even if it is 15 – 20 minutes. Walking is some of the best exercise and even 'if' the weather is bad, you can walk around the inside of your house. A lot of the ladies here get pedometers and keep up with the steps as well. Great for the weight loss especially over the holiday season. Losing weight will definitely make a difference with your BP. We’re here to encourage, support and even listen if you need to ‘vent, rant, or rave’. This is an open thread; but, the few men that have gotten on here from time-to-time, don’t normally stay long when they realize it is primarily women. I think some just 'get on to see what it is all about'. The only subjects we ‘try’ not to talk about are ‘politics’ and ‘religious ideologies since there are so many around the globe on her.

Beth – Thank you – now to work on the ‘tire rim’ or ‘love handles’ … I’d love to get them tired so they’d just ‘fall off’. But, that means to step my exercise up a notch.

Louis is Catholic (I was not until after we married) and their tradition was to leave their decorations up until "The Epiphany" (but, they also waited to the last minute to put them up). It was up maybe 12 days. We had a ‘discussion’ about this our very first Christmas when I wanted a ‘tree’ the first weekend in December. Also, growing up with tradition of getting them take down and out of the house before the New Year comes. Totally throwing out the 'old year'; before starting a 'new one'. We’ve done that my way since. For the past 2 years I have used the macramé tree that my Mother made as our ‘tree’ poking lights through it. It doesn’t take up any floor space and we don’t have to shove furniture around to get to a tree. Easy enough to pull aside to get inside the door it hangs in front of (especially if the presents are out of the way).

I think a lot of people get sick around the holidays because we go out to shop, even when we know we shouldn’t; but, need to pick up something at the last moment. Kids are home from school and might have been exposed to something the last few days in class. Our DOGD came home from college and was ill the entire time. She said that everybody down there (home) were very cranky the entire time and she just finally had to get 'away' from it. Came down and spent 2 hours with us right before supper was going to be served.

Michele – My DDnL#1 says that Sam’s has some of the best meat. They’ll buy big packages and bring them home and put them up in smaller amounts using one of those vacuum seal machines. They have a ‘new’ one; after the one they borrowed from me lost (broke) the seal. Now, I don’t have one. Maybe that can be on my “List” of something I want in the New Year.

I like “Halos” far more than the “Cuties”; easier to peel and more like a Tangerine (I guess they really ARE Tangerines); while “Cuties” are more like a Mandarin orange. I don’t like their taste, not really bitter, just different. Both are small enough to eat 2 at a time.

Does Loki have ‘seizures’? Phenobarbital is what I gave to Will from infancy through 7-years, when he finally seemed to have outgrown the ‘febrile seizures’. I had them, too. Mother said she never had to take my temperature; because as soon as it hit 101.3° I had a seizure. A parent or parents seeing a baby/child going through a seizure the first time is the most 'terrifying' thing that most of them will see. I know when Will had his first one, I was really terrified - more because of the 'type' of seizure he had and the fact that he was not breathing and was turning blue when I picked him up. Just hoping that as he gets older he won’t be like me and have them again, with the diagnosis of ‘epilepsy’. Thankfully, medications help control them; and, so far I have not had a bad grand mal seizure (except when I was Lithium Toxic) and in ICU for 3 weeks. I guess it is a good thing that I don’t remember that time. Louis doesn’t like medical shows because they seem to ‘always’ have at least one person having seizures. He gets up and walks out of the room.

Carol and Michele – We usually have collard greens, black-eyed peas, rice, and country ham or that bacon that is really salty that some cook with the collard greens, I think my Daddy used to call it ‘hog jowls’. I prefer to just buy a nice slice of country (salty) ham and call that the ‘meat’ of the day. We called it 'red-eye' ham (center cut with only one round piece of bone in it; and, mother would make 'red-eye' gray by pouring strong coffee into the pan drippings after frying it. Also good ole corn bread made with real corn meal and not “Jiffy” cornbread which tastes like a cake to me. They have a “Martha White” cornbread package that is made with ‘corn meal’ that I buy since we don’t need a lot for just the 2 of us.

Besides having ‘extra’ biscuits made by Nannie-L; Daddy would get her to make a large batch of corn bread to put in buttermilk. Mother's biscuits were ALWAYS flat and hard as a 'hockey puck'. Nannie-L said it was because she 'handled' it (flour and milk) too much. I don’t like buttermilk, so I would just crumble it in my milk and eat it with a spoon. Lordy Mercy, I cannot think of when I did that last. I hated it when he had her put ‘chitterlings’ in the cornbread. I’d pick them out before I’d eat the cornbread. Another thing my Dad used to do that I thought was ‘gross’ was smash butter up in cane syrup. I did not like the taste of cane syrup in the first place and putting butter in it just made it worse. Fatback and ‘hog jowls’ are one in the same. I don’t like it at all. My DMnL used to buy it and cut and fry it like bacon on occasion. Way too salty; and she’d leave the rind on, I could not stand that, but I'd eat a 'bite' just to honor the 'tradition'. I don’t even like the rind left on bacon. There’re are 4 types of ‘greens’. Collard Greens (mildest); Turnip Greens, the Mustard Greens (bitter); and some people call “Spinach” – greens. Mustard Greens are my least favorite of all.

Michele – When DDnL#1 went to turn on the cellphone that had the music for Will and Tami’s wedding, the interference of other cellphones must have knocked it out. That is the ‘only’ reason we came up with why it worked perfectly the night before; but, not at the wedding. The music would fade in and out and then totally just ‘go off’. ????? Someone’s carrier must have had a stronger signal

Becca – Thank you! I’m finding it harder to lose the closer I get to my goal; and, that I put it on and then take it off. Like I am finding and losing the same 4 or 5 pounds. At one point I was down to 154lbs. Nutritionists says that my body has gotten used to the way I am eating; need to ‘change it up’ and do more exercise and drink more water. I think tonight, I will have gotten in 17.1 cups of water – I find it hard to get much above 14 … without feeling like I am ‘choking’ on it.

Only my oldest granddaughter and my step-granddaughter write hand-written ‘thank you’ notes; it started when they were very young. My boys did the same. It was expected! Even though she is my ‘ex-DnL’ … Taylor’s mama did some things right; teaching her ‘manners’ and giving her the ‘love of reading’ … because she read to her nightly. Only granddaughter that doesn’t like to read is the ‘older middle’ one; but, she is in the Honors' Society … so she is doing something right … whether she ever reads for pleasure might come, like it did for me, later on in life. I came from a family of readers, Mother, Daddy, and 2 sisters … I would rather draw. “A picture is worth a 1000 words.” I like to ‘talk a lot’ because I want others to ‘see’ my visions. So typing is a part of that. Typing is actually extremely relaxing to me. Good thing since I did it 8 hours or more a day most all my adult life. Was better to take ‘typing’ than TRIG. Unlike my ‘unemployed engineer-turned-teacher’ … “I could ALWAYS get a secretarial job.” That’s what I told the class when I walked out the first day. It was a class of AP students. Nobody made above a “C” and the Principal said that he’d have to ‘grade on a curve’ or ‘be gone’. Even when students who were making all “A’s” in all others classes were not making “A’s” in his … he knew something was wrong. Two of the students would be called at home for ‘help’. One turned out to be a MD; then other was the Math Director for one of the Greater Atlanta Area school districts after they went to college and graduated.

We gets all types of ‘cards’ during the year from our sons and their families; all of them have been chosen carefully … not just a box card … something with meaning.

Oooooo, Eggs Benedict for breakfast … love it!

Margaret – first you type the “[“; then, without any spaces you type in the “color=color” (example: color=red); then you type in the “]”. I usually do this ‘after’ I have ‘bolded’ the name, word, or phrase/sentence. Usually after the [/b] (end of the bolding), I will type in “[“ color=black, then the “]”. I hope that types out without actually changing colors (which I don’t really want it to do, if I am trying to explain it). I see that someone has already posted that for you. Oh well, maybe it will help someone else.

Sue - Thanks! It’s taken a while; but, coming off slowly, I hope that it will stay off. I did not gain it overnight; and, I have not expected it to come off overnight. But, I will admit the closer I get to my goal, the harder it is and the more ‘yo-yo-ing’ I do. I’ve been losing and finding the same 3-5lbs for more than 6 weeks. GGrrrr

You had a ‘space’ between your bracket and the color=red … no spaces.

Barbiecat – As an artist … I can ‘think’ of more colors that most people who see just the colors of the rainbow; but, some colors do not show up. Some are so close to ‘black’ that it is hard to distinguish. Blue and aqua are different, orange and gold – a little, and magenta and pink are different. Pastel colors such as lavender, even ‘if’ it is bold won’t show up.

Katla – After losing 40lbs, I tried to pick up a 40lb bag of potting soil and could NOT do it for the life of me. Little wonder why I felt so bad and fell often. Now, even though not for a long time, I can wear heels without being afraid of ‘face-planting’ myself. Chunky heels like were on the boots are an example. Just like much lower heels. I had to laugh at Louis trying to take the picture, I was trying to stand still, he was trying to keep his arms straight and still. He had to take it about 6 times before it was even in focus, then I had him pick out the one he thought was best. I don’t normally wear my hair … curly like in the picture; … he doesn’t like it that way. I haven’t really been able to blow dry it out ‘flat’ like anyone who is standing over me can … but, getting a little better at it. I’m learning to lean over to day it first and then it is easier to use the curling iron. My DDnL#2 (Tami) has one she uses in her shop that is a flat iron with a brush that still puts that swing in the bottom, not totally flat; but, it costs ‘her’ nearly $150 (wholesale – shop prices). Lady that cut it here, told me to get a 'different' style of brush and to blow it a different way - I can't remember at this point; but, I am sure it will come back to me, once I try it.

Love the quote: “Normally I’m quite normal …”The Gods Must be Crazy” … that your ‘quote’????

Rori – I feel the same way about the ladies online here … even the ones who have ‘tried to put me in my place’ about things we did not see eye-to-eye about. 2017 – I will try to ‘think’ first … I do not ‘try’ to be mean-spirited on here. I realize we all have different points of view. Just think that what is written in a PM, should be just that – “private.”

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lenora- send a personal message to Tiffany and she can help you get the team information. You should have a list of your groups under community and that is one of your groups. Open up the group and scroll down and you will see the team chat lines.
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Mary - I followed these links; but, I am not seeing anything that lets me know that I am 'in'. Sent a PM to Tiffany, so maybe she'll answer in the morning.