Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why the calorie is broken.

Options
2»

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    n1terunner wrote: »
    It isn't perfect, but BMI is the first thing I think that should be gotten rid of.

Sure, if you're built like The Rock. For most of humanity, it's a pretty accurate indicator in life and death matters.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cool article. My one issue is that I didn't see any regulation of hormones and testing of it while in the boxes. I'm sure there's a difference in how people feel being couped up in a box versus being free out in the world. And this could easily change hormone balance which is directly tied to metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Spot on. This is an issue throughout science. Most of what we know has been gathered through isolation of variables, but this is not how organisms, structures, particles, etc. behave in the environment. The hormonal impact plays a tremendous factor, but not in the way many believe. Like anything you can either use this information for success or use it as an excuse for failure.

Syntrophy is a relative new concept being introduced, where investigators are conducting their isolation experiments as normal, but then running a cooperative study attempting to understand how the body reacts in the environment. The problem is that this requires a much greater investment - for diet studies this involves sending a monitor with the subject at all times to ensure they are adhering to the experiment parameters.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    oh boy I got fed up reading half way through that link :smiley:

Calorie counting worked for me and I am approaching 4 years at maintenance.... so it aint broke for me. While we can never be fully sure of the exact calories we can be fairly close and with trial and error, lose weight successfully. Just wish I'd thought about counting calories years ago....

Another one coming up on 4 years of maintenance and I agree completely with you :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Calorie counting worked for me and I am approaching 4 years at maintenance.... so it aint broke for me. While we can never be fully sure of the exact calories we can be fairly close and with trial and error, lose weight successfully. Just wish I'd thought about counting calories years ago....

Another one coming up on 4 years of maintenance and I agree completely with you :)

I have lost weight counting calories so I won't speculate if the calorie is broken or not. What I do know that there are other people that for whatever reason counting calories is not healthy so we need alternatives for those people.

Ex: My son has a tendency to be OCD. He has tried counting calories and logging food...it was a disaster for him. His OCD got completely out of control and had to give up trying to lose weight for a while. He is now back at it but is trying different methods other than counting calories...such as portion control...reducing carbs slightly...eliminating foods that are a problem source for him.