So I told my mom I'd like a food scale for Christmas and she says "I have one you can use!" ...

Options
gamzfaeqkpnr.jpg

Hahahahaha! I actually used it this morning, too! Better than nothing, eh? LOL

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, that's awesome :#
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    OK .. I don't get it .. Whenever a discussion of scales comes up in the forums, it seems that someone is very concerned about the scale measuring in grams. I see comments like freedom's above, and urgings to make sure it measures in grams!! Why?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! That's awesome. :p
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    That is really cool.
  • sullus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Awesome scale!!
    sullus wrote: »
    OK .. I don't get it .. Whenever a discussion of scales comes up in the forums, it seems that someone is very concerned about the scale measuring in grams. I see comments like freedom's above, and urgings to make sure it measures in grams!! Why?

Because grams are more accurate, especially for calorie dense items.

More accurate than what? My scale goes to 2 decimal places with ounces (yeah it does grams too) .. but 3.27 ounces is no less accurate than 92.4 grams. (in fact its a touch more accurate)

The key to accuracy is digital and not analog. With an analog scale, you have to interpolate.

ETA: Awesome scale by the way. Classic Weight Watchers stuff. I think my mom has one of these kicking around too.
  • Cedura
    Cedura Posts: 184 Member
    Options

My mom goes "you shouldn't be eating more than 1lb of something anyway!"

Good point, mom LOL

Hahaha, that sounds like something my mom would say. I guess even the whole pound of lettuce or carrots would be a lot.

(Although I am totally guilty of binge eating a whole 1lb bag of baby carrots in the course of a day.)
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    electrnic food scales are fairly cheap on amazon. You should get one of those.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    HA! I think my mom had one of those, too!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    That is so old it's cool again, a hipster scale! Does it do grams?

Yes it does grams!! HOWEVER it only has a 1lb capacity :open_mouth:

Good point, mom LOL

My smaller plates, by themselves, weigh almost 1 lb. Since this obviously doesn't have an automatic tare function, plate / container weight could be relevant to the 1 lb. limit.

Also, I common have more than 1 lb. on my scale.. sometimes more than 2 lbs. Once, when making a batch (used the recipe feature on MFP), I weighed the entire batch with the scale I use to weigh myself because it exceeded the weight limit for my digital food scale. When I make recipes, I put in the number of servings as the total ounces or grams so I can log the portions based on weight as well. This particular batch (chili) was more than 18 lbs.

So while it is better than nothing, don't pretend you aren't missing out on a few things.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

There's no reason for it other than people being overly picky. My scale measures ounces to the nearest .05, which is equivalent to 1.4 grams. Even if we're talking peanut butter that is 8.5 calories difference. Not enough to sweat over.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would pass on that. Thanks but no thanks, digital is going to be so much easier. I second the look on Amazon. I have 3 scales, just in case one, or two break. I am sure they were all under $20
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    At some point, you'll probably want a scale that goes higher than one pound. I weigh entire pots of soup to determine how many grams one serving will be. A friend gave me my first digital scale for Christmas. It was one of the best gifts I've ever received.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Good point, mom LOL

My smaller plates, by themselves, weigh almost 1 lb. Since this obviously doesn't have an automatic tare function, plate / container weight could be relevant to the 1 lb. limit.

Also, I common have more than 1 lb. on my scale.. sometimes more than 2 lbs. Once, when making a batch (used the recipe feature on MFP), I weighed the entire batch with the scale I use to weigh myself because it exceeded the weight limit for my digital food scale. When I make recipes, I put in the number of servings as the total ounces or grams so I can log the portions based on weight as well. This particular batch (chili) was more than 18 lbs.

So while it is better than nothing, don't pretend you aren't missing out on a few things.

Oh, I know, I still want a proper scale! I did a lot of research on the one I want- I do a ton of cooking that comes up to well over 5lbs for a recipe. The plate thing: well I weighed my breakfast on it on a piece of cling wrap haha She scoffed when I asked if it could tare the weight of a ziplock bag.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Good point, mom LOL

Oh, I know, I still want a proper scale! I did a lot of research on the one I want- I do a ton of cooking that comes up to well over 5lbs for a recipe. The plate thing: well I weighed my breakfast on it on a piece of cling wrap haha She scoffed when I asked if it could tare the weight of a ziplock bag.

Yes - you do want a newer one.

I have one of these old school scales too. The tare function on newer scales is incredibly useful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Personally, measuring in grams is way easier. I use all the USDA 100 g entries for things, and if I measure in grams I can just log .42 (for 42 g) or whatever. Way more convenient than messing with oz.
  • sullus
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Personally, measuring in grams is way easier. I use all the USDA 100 g entries for things, and if I measure in grams I can just log .42 (for 42 g) or whatever. Way more convenient than messing with oz.

I get why it is convenient .. I just never understood all the hullabaloo about it being required. Math is easy.