So I told my mom I'd like a food scale for Christmas and she says "I have one you can use!" ...

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    OK .. I don't get it .. Whenever a discussion of scales comes up in the forums, it seems that someone is very concerned about the scale measuring in grams. I see comments like freedom's above, and urgings to make sure it measures in grams!! Why?

Personally, measuring in grams is way easier. I use all the USDA 100 g entries for things, and if I measure in grams I can just log .42 (for 42 g) or whatever. Way more convenient than messing with oz.

I get why it is convenient .. I just never understood all the hullabaloo about it being required. Math is easy.

Lol. :grin:

To be fair, not everybody agrees that math is easy (or fun or intuitive...) I do but I think we're in the minority.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    OK .. I don't get it .. Whenever a discussion of scales comes up in the forums, it seems that someone is very concerned about the scale measuring in grams. I see comments like freedom's above, and urgings to make sure it measures in grams!! Why?

There's no reason for it other than people being overly picky. My scale measures ounces to the nearest .05, which is equivalent to 1.4 grams. Even if we're talking peanut butter that is 8.5 calories difference. Not enough to sweat over.

I don't mind using ounces. I do agree that it isn't so much of a huge difference that it'll break you . But I don't know about anyone else but a lot of things I tend to eat are weighed out more in grams over ounces. So for me, it's just easier to have a scale that does both, especially because I suck at math. :D
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

There's no reason for it other than people being overly picky. My scale measures ounces to the nearest .05, which is equivalent to 1.4 grams. Even if we're talking peanut butter that is 8.5 calories difference. Not enough to sweat over.

I don't mind using ounces. I do agree that it isn't so much of a huge difference that it'll break you . But I don't know about anyone else but a lot of things I tend to eat are weighed out more in grams over ounces. So for me, it's just easier to have a scale that does both, especially because I suck at math. :D

There are conversion apps, of course, but I'm "lazy." :lol:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    As soon as I saw the title, I knew what scale it would be. My only problem with those scales is recalibrating them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Personally, measuring in grams is way easier. I use all the USDA 100 g entries for things, and if I measure in grams I can just log .42 (for 42 g) or whatever. Way more convenient than messing with oz.

I get why it is convenient .. I just never understood all the hullabaloo about it being required. Math is easy.

Oh it's not required if your scale does two decimal ounce digits, or even one if you don't consume a lot of calorie dense food. Personally, I weight in grams because that's what I'm used to using. Ounces and pounds feel like arbitrary units of measurement to me.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Thats funny
  • KellyAnnMeegan
    KellyAnnMeegan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's awesome my Mom had the same scale years ago
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Smaller unit=More accuracy
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No. Theoretically better precision, but not more accuracy.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

No. Theoretically better precision, but not more accuracy.

tuKaGyM.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Why put yourself in a situation where you are converting grams to oz when you don't have to? I like math, but I don't need that in my life.

But I do agree that one certainly doesn't need a scale that weighs in grams. I would just prefer it.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Is it accurate :D
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Oh, gawd, I think I had that one, too!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    That is so old it's cool again, a hipster scale! Does it do grams?

Yes it does grams!! HOWEVER it only has a 1lb capacity :open_mouth:

My mom goes "you shouldn't be eating more than 1lb of something anyway!"

Good point, mom LOL

My smaller plates, by themselves, weigh almost 1 lb. Since this obviously doesn't have an automatic tare function, plate / container weight could be relevant to the 1 lb. limit.

Also, I common have more than 1 lb. on my scale.. sometimes more than 2 lbs. Once, when making a batch (used the recipe feature on MFP), I weighed the entire batch with the scale I use to weigh myself because it exceeded the weight limit for my digital food scale. When I make recipes, I put in the number of servings as the total ounces or grams so I can log the portions based on weight as well. This particular batch (chili) was more than 18 lbs.

So while it is better than nothing, don't pretend you aren't missing out on a few things.

Oh, I know, I still want a proper scale! I did a lot of research on the one I want- I do a ton of cooking that comes up to well over 5lbs for a recipe. The plate thing: well I weighed my breakfast on it on a piece of cling wrap haha She scoffed when I asked if it could tare the weight of a ziplock bag.

Let us know how you go when you want cereal and milk :lol:

Math is easy.

Surely you jest :noway:

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

Also, sometimes when you're logging something, the weight is only in grams or oz in the database. It's just nice to have both...
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    because no one measures coke in ounces.

Speak for yourself... #ImperialCokeFTW

• Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Is it accurate :D

Actually, it's seems pretty accurate! My mom used it from 1987-1992, she said she lost weight with WW back then. I feel like we should donate it to a museum or something haha a weight loss museum
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    because no one measures coke in ounces.

everyone does. 8-ball. 1/8 oz aka 3.5 g.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Because some of us are completely metric :D My country hasn't used ounces since the 1970s.