Beginning Again at Age 50 and 5'3"...

Options

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just a couple of months shy of being 73 and am trying to also lose 10 pounds. Like other posters have said, I lose weight but gain it back quickly ... so it's an up and down thing on almost a weekly basis. Right now I'm not cutting calories, and not eating in excess on purpose ... I'm just trying to eat sensibly for the last couple of weeks of the year and will go on another deficit in intake calories starting Jan 1. This coming year I will have a gym membership with the Silver Sneakers program and will be working on incorporating a regular, habitual, program of structured physical activity at the gym on most days of the week.

Eating sensibly? I just learned how :) That up and down with just a few lbs is irritating, but I'm getting the feeling it may be kind of normal at this point. Don't know really, just wanted to say hi and best fortunes going into the new year.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Don't let Age be your barrier, 69 year old lost 48lbs it might be slow but it's happening good luck to you all job
  • tracydr01
    tracydr01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    von66 wrote: »
    I was 50 in July and 5ft!!! Been struggling with losing weight for last 10 years. Menopause not a great help! Ive been going slimming club religiously for past two years initially I lost a stone and a half but have since put it back on despite weekly meetings. So decided give this a try again. Cutting calories and upping exercise.

I'm 51, 61". I have been struggling my weight for several years. Now it seems like I gain weight instead of losing. The harder I try the worse I do. But,I haven't been counting calories for awhile. Back into calorie counting and exercise starting today.
    I am also purchasing a treadmill from a co-working,picking it up this weekend.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Can I join this group? I'm 55 and have been on MFP for many years. After maintaining my weight for many years, I've been on an upward swing lately. Chalk it up to moving across country, hormone therapy, and hypothyroidism. I've gained 5 pounds in the last year which doesn't sound like a lot but at 5'3" it can be a whole size! I'm determined to get a handle on it before things get more out of control!
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'll be 58 next month. I started my weight loss journey in 2014 and lost over 50 lbs. I'm 5'0" and got down to 113.2 lbs. But I'm Powerlifter and started to lose a lot of strength so I'm now bulking and even at 1800-2000 calories I occasionally lose weight if I have a heavy day of weightlifting. I found what worked for me in finally losing weight and FAT was strength training. I gained a lot of muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. An interesting fact I recently read is as you age, your metabolism doesn't necessary change, it's that you become LESS active. I struggled trying to lose weight in my 20's/30's/40's but it was much easier for me as I got older. I don't do the "low carb", low fat diets either. You need carbs for energy and for your brain to properly function.
  • Heart_Fit
    Heart_Fit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just a couple of months shy of being 73 and am trying to also lose 10 pounds. Like other posters have said, I lose weight but gain it back quickly ... so it's an up and down thing on almost a weekly basis. Right now I'm not cutting calories, and not eating in excess on purpose ... I'm just trying to eat sensibly for the last couple of weeks of the year and will go on another deficit in intake calories starting Jan 1. This coming year I will have a gym membership with the Silver Sneakers program and will be working on incorporating a regular, habitual, program of structured physical activity at the gym on most days of the week.

You go girl, lol. You keep it up n never give up! Best wishes to you!
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    Can I join this group? I'm 55 and have been on MFP for many years. After maintaining my weight for many years, I've been on an upward swing lately. Chalk it up to moving across country, hormone therapy, and hypothyroidism. I've gained 5 pounds in the last year which doesn't sound like a lot but at 5'3" it can be a whole size! I'm determined to get a handle on it before things get more out of control!

@Fittocycle, of course you can join in...chime in anytime you have a concern or question. ..Its some great people on here with some awesome advice. Welcome!
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    I'll be 58 next month. I started my weight loss journey in 2014 and lost over 50 lbs. I'm 5'0" and got down to 113.2 lbs. But I'm Powerlifter and started to lose a lot of strength so I'm now bulking and even at 1800-2000 calories I occasionally lose weight if I have a heavy day of weightlifting. I found what worked for me in finally losing weight and FAT was strength training. I gained a lot of muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. An interesting fact I recently read is as you age, your metabolism doesn't necessary change, it's that you become LESS active. I struggled trying to lose weight in my 20's/30's/40's but it was much easier for me as I got older. I don't do the "low carb", low fat diets either. You need carbs for energy and for your brain to properly function.

@Powerliftingmom, You sound Amazing and quite Active. I agree that carbs are needed for proper brain function as i am not a low carb person, lol. I will begin strength training in January, i cant lift heavy, but i will give it my all. Thanks for checking in and sharing. Best wishes to you!
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Congrats for starting again! I'm 49 and 5"4' (and shrinking according to my last check up that said 5"3 3/4'). I've been successful on Atkins before- even last year when I lost 15. I gained it all back with 6 months, and now I have to lose it (and 15 more) again. I've been popping out of my "big" pants lately due to holiday eating, so I'm ready to give this a go again. I'll start by cutting out desserts, but not "healthy" carbs and see how much I can lose. I signed up for a challenge and urge others to do the same. I've been at the gym some, but not consistently. I think that's where it starts- making better health a priority and a habit. Good luck to all of us "resolutionists"!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome to the group! I look forward to celebrating our successes together!
    Sheila- where did you find the challenge? I definitely need one to stay motivated!
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    Thanks for the warm welcome to the group! I look forward to celebrating our successes together!
    Sheila- where did you find the challenge? I definitely need one to stay motivated!

You are more than welcome!
  • aly0123
    aly0123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I turned 50 10 days ago. I am 5'4" and 170ish. I am aiming to lose 40 lbs during my 50th year, making it a very, very good and healthy year. I am looking for as much support and motivation as I can get and welcome any suggestions you all wish to offer.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    50 was when I started gaining weight like mad--2 lbs a month--until I got on MFP 2 years ago. I lost 28 lbs, though I backslide a bit from time to time, like now, over the holidays...I have 7 lbs to take off again. CICO is what works, but exercising makes it so much easier because it gives you extra calories and also makes you healthier and more energized. The two together are really the winning combination. Going too low, below 1200 calories can really backfire, and honestly, I lost my weight eating closer to 1400 a day and eating every last, single exercise calorie back. I'm 5'6" but feel free to friend me, fellow middle-agers!
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    sprepej wrote: »
    50 was when I started gaining weight like mad--2 lbs a month--until I got on MFP 2 years ago. I lost 28 lbs, though I backslide a bit from time to time, like now, over the holidays...I have 7 lbs to take off again. CICO is what works, but exercising makes it so much easier because it gives you extra calories and also makes you healthier and more energized. The two together are really the winning combination. Going too low, below 1200 calories can really backfire, and honestly, I lost my weight eating closer to 1400 a day and eating every last, single exercise calorie back. I'm 5'6" but feel free to friend me, fellow middle-agers!

Same here. We can lose weight without exercising, but I'd be missing a lot without the exercise. Like I say to my wife all the time, it really feels like a whole new lease on life. :)
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    aly0123 wrote: »
    Hi all. I turned 50 10 days ago. I am 5'4" and 170ish. I am aiming to lose 40 lbs during my 50th year, making it a very, very good and healthy year. I am looking for as much support and motivation as I can get and welcome any suggestions you all wish to offer.

Happy birthday :) 50 is a great year to start - you got this! :)
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    aly0123 wrote: »

Welcome Aly0123, i would suggest making sure that you have a deficit, get a food scale and measure ALL your foods, dont forget to account for any drinks with calories. Try to get some exercise in so you can minimize some of the muscles that comes along with losing weight. Lastly, make sure that your Protein is up to Par.
    Feel free to continue to connect in the community for many answers to questions that you may have or someone else have ask. Keep striving and never give up. Feel free to add me on your friends list if you like. Take Care
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Heart_Fit wrote: »
    Hi All, i started this fitness journey when i was 47, lost some weight with exercise and cutting calories on mfp. I managed to lose some weight. Then when i turned 50 i seemed to have lost my mojo. I haven't been exercising like before and it seemed i gained a few pounds and now im at a stall. Being a shorty doesn't help any because i really want to lose another 10 lbs. Anyone else here is around my age and height and struggling to lose the last 10 lbs. I know weight lost is not all about exercise, but at my age it can only help to retain Some muscles as i lose, lol. When i first started on mfp, i honestly didn't have all the information that i have learned from this community which is Awesome, So this time im all in Trying to suck up as much information as possible to lose these last 10 lbs. Thanks.

I just turned 48. It is different when older, but really it's about understanding metabolism. I used to struggle, but lose the tug-of-war with it. But now I understand things and I don't struggle.

I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant. I'm logging my food now, and will continue to do so for the next 12 weeks or so while I finish up making this baby!

It's not about age so much as it is about metabolism, which is hormones.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    I too am starting again :) I'm 60, 5'4" and did really well with WW in the past. Since they changed the program I have been almost floating in nowhere land, so I am beginning again with MFP. I have 10 ish to lose. I had been active, and will return to exercise as soon as the holiday season is over. I own a men's clothing store here in Italy and it's open 7 days a week till Christmas. I am getting in the steps, but not formal exercise. Is there a 50+ group where anyone posts for a bit more accountability?

Two groups I know of here on MFP:

Mature Adults support, motivation and sharing 55 +

OVER 50 GROUP

Neither one is super active, the first-listed possibly slightly more active - but both will be more active if some of y'all get in there & stir things up. ;)
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I too am starting again :) I'm 60, 5'4" and did really well with WW in the past. Since they changed the program I have been almost floating in nowhere land, so I am beginning again with MFP. I have 10 ish to lose. I had been active, and will return to exercise as soon as the holiday season is over. I own a men's clothing store here in Italy and it's open 7 days a week till Christmas. I am getting in the steps, but not formal exercise. Is there a 50+ group where anyone posts for a bit more accountability?

OVER 50 GROUP

Neither one is super active, the first-listed possibly slightly more active - but both will be more active if some of y'all get in there & stir things up. ;)

@AnnPT77 - thank you for pointing those groups out. Joined the first :)
  • Heart_Fit
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

OVER 50 GROUP

Thanks for the groups....btw: the person who started the 50 plus group hasnt logged on in 2 months, But there still can be an impact by others getting in there chatting, lol