Is it possible to be positive all of the time?

Options
ClubSilencio
ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
Ever meet someone who is positive all of the time and think to yourself, "I wanna be like that, too."

Whenever I try to do it though I usually crap out after 2.5 days. I love talking *kitten* too much. :laugh:

Do you guys think being super positive 24/7 is something that can be conditioned or is it only reserved for those whom are genetically predisposed? I work with a guy who is like this and I swear he must be from another planet. Makes me wonder if I should just accept myself for who I am and work with that. :frowning:

Replies

• Hungry_Angler
    Hungry_Angler Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thinking positive 100% of the time, IMO would eventually lead to disillusion. For the most part I am a positive guy, but that's been forged through trial by fire and has led me to a point that I believe that all will work out eventually.
  • Hungry_Angler
    Hungry_Angler Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Those that are too vocal can be too much. Overly positive people prior to my coffee time can be hazardous to their health and bad for my ears. Those that are too "Eeyore'ish" can drain the life out of a person.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I try to be. Evidently I suck at it. :#
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    No, you'd be considered a robot at that point.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone that is positive like you describe 24/7. I know of people that are so outgoing (or so its seems that way) that it would make you want to throw up.. Sometimes people are hiding behind a mask per se.. It might also be that at work or the environment you are seeing them in is the happiest place for them and you have no idea what they go home to... etc..

Its just too much to figure out.. Be yourself.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Ever meet someone who is positive all of the time and think to yourself, "I wanna be like that, too."

Whenever I try to do it though I usually crap out after 2.5 days. I love talking *kitten* too much. :laugh:

Do you guys think being super positive 24/7 is something that can be conditioned or is it only reserved for those whom are genetically predisposed? I work with a guy who is like this and I swear he must be from another planet. Makes me wonder if I should just accept myself for who I am and work with that. :frowning:

You're not with that person 24/7...I don't think anyone is positive 100% of the time. There are certainly people who are more positive than others more of the time, but not all of the time.

I used to think that about my trainer's wife...we're pretty good friends with them and she's always so happy and bubbly and positive...we all took a trip together this past May and shared a condo...she had her moments just like we all do, though she is a pretty happy and positive person most of the time.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I don't know anyone that is positive like you describe 24/7. I know of people that are so outgoing (or so its seems that way) that it would make you want to throw up.. Sometimes people are hiding behind a mask per se.. It might also be that at work or the environment you are seeing them in is the happiest place for them and you have no idea what they go home to... etc..

Its just too much to figure out.. Be yourself.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I know someone who is cheerful all the time. Two someones. But even they can get bummed out. It just takes a bit more to get them to that point. Like their roof blowing off in a storm or a miscarriage :cry:

I go through phases. Never super de duper cheerful though. Complaining can be too good of entertainment.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I can see how being around someone that was super cheery all the time might get annoying, but to be honest, I'd rather that than be around someone who a dick all the time. It is soooo draining.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You're not with that person 24/7...I don't think anyone is positive 100% of the time. There are certainly people who are more positive than others more of the time, but not all of the time.

I used to think that about my trainer's wife...we're pretty good friends with them and she's always so happy and bubbly and positive...we all took a trip together this past May and shared a condo...she had her moments just like we all do, though she is a pretty happy and positive person most of the time.

Similar situation for me. My SIL always seems calm and happy and always appears to have her stuff together. Our families vacationed together a few years ago, and I finally saw her true colors. Not a criticism. Actually, it was kind of a relief to know she's not as perfect as she usually appears to be. Human just like the rest of us. If you want to really know someone, go on vacation with them.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm not bubbly or anything but I like to think I'm positive a lot. I try not to vocalize the negative stuff

This is me too. I'm the "everything will be ok" person even if I'm not quite sure it will.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I just killed your entire family. Are you happy?

But no seriously i hate those people its okay to be upset sometimes, healthy even. Bottling things up is bad.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Yes.