First Powerlifting Meet Questions

2»

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that it's not worth the recovery deficit to pull true 1rm lifts in that scenario -- basically you should save that for the platform in my opinion.

I also am of the opinion that if your training is set up properly you should be able to use training data to estimate where you set attempt selections.

I'm certainly open to other methods though -- but for now I don't see it as being optimal.

Edited to add: I do think there's a difference between pulling a true 1rm like you would in competition vs something like working up to a heavy single at RPE 9-9.5 and using that to acquire information.

Quite a bit depends upon your level of experience. I wouldn't go near a 1 rep max on deadlift for months before a meet as much as 6 weeks before a meet for squat. I typically only train as high as a planned opener on squat and deadlift during a prep cycle. However, that is after years of experience and a solid knowledge of where I'm at and what I can expect. I don't need the reassurance going into a meet.

Early on, when I was still getting a feel for things and really still building my strength, I'd test more frequently and closer to a meet.

With respect to singlets, Inzer singlets are made by Matman and are shorter in the leg. Titan are longer in the leg. The one in my profile picture is an Inzer but I wear a titan now. I made the change when I got a rear video of me deadlifting in the inzer singlet and half my backside was hanging out. None of them are particularly flattering.

I know I'm going to look like an overstuffed sausage in a singlet and that's one of the main reasons why I haven't competed yet. Sounds like the Titan would be a safer bet for me too!

Get this one

s2nwuh9oyfla.jpg
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited December 2016
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that it's not worth the recovery deficit to pull true 1rm lifts in that scenario -- basically you should save that for the platform in my opinion.

I also am of the opinion that if your training is set up properly you should be able to use training data to estimate where you set attempt selections.

I'm certainly open to other methods though -- but for now I don't see it as being optimal.

Edited to add: I do think there's a difference between pulling a true 1rm like you would in competition vs something like working up to a heavy single at RPE 9-9.5 and using that to acquire information.

Quite a bit depends upon your level of experience. I wouldn't go near a 1 rep max on deadlift for months before a meet as much as 6 weeks before a meet for squat. I typically only train as high as a planned opener on squat and deadlift during a prep cycle. However, that is after years of experience and a solid knowledge of where I'm at and what I can expect. I don't need the reassurance going into a meet.

Early on, when I was still getting a feel for things and really still building my strength, I'd test more frequently and closer to a meet.

With respect to singlets, Inzer singlets are made by Matman and are shorter in the leg. Titan are longer in the leg. The one in my profile picture is an Inzer but I wear a titan now. I made the change when I got a rear video of me deadlifting in the inzer singlet and half my backside was hanging out. None of them are particularly flattering.

I know I'm going to look like an overstuffed sausage in a singlet and that's one of the main reasons why I haven't competed yet. Sounds like the Titan would be a safer bet for me too!

take sweatpants to wear between lifts, over your singlet to cover your sexy exposed legs and it will help you to stay warm too.

testing 1rm: I frequently go for single "max efforts" in training , up to about 2 weeks before a meet.
    Also, you mention you are pulling sets of 3 or 5, Just curious why are you pulling in that range? Do you ever pull singles? I almost always train deadlifts in the single rep range, the only time i pull more than one is if its some lower weight hypertrophy exercise, or when i'm warming up. As soon as i get to about 60%, i'm in the single rep range. I think its hard to get to, or estimate a true 1rm when you are exhausting yourself with big sets.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    To make the next class up, OP would only need to be over 220 lbs though (220 is max weight cap for current class, 242 class is just anything above that - so 220.1-242.0), which is only 4 lbs more than current. That could be eating big the previous day and a large breakfast before weigh ins.
    If 216 is fasted weight, likely you'd be close to hitting 220+ later in the day anyway after getting some meals in.
    Normally I would agree not to worry about your weight at all for your first meet, but being this close you could easily bump up to the next class if you wanted to. Just don't let it get to your head and pick outrageous attempts or go crazy with food and eat to the point you get sick. Be smart about your attempts regardless and have fun.
    (Honestly if it were me I would probably bump up and see if I could get the record.)

Thanks for the advice! The current deadlift record in my division in the 242 class in RPS is 605 lbs. I pulled 530x5 today after 3x2 and I am going to test my 1RM 3 weeks out from the meet. If I can pull 585+ on a stiff bar in the gym at that point, then I hopefully will try to break the record on a deadlift bar on my 3rd attempt at the meet (if everything goes well!).

Don't change anything. Don't try new things- don't try to set new records- just go lift- your first meet isn't about breaking records- it's about learning.

If you can "just go lift" AND set records though, that's fine too. OP would only have to eat heavy enough to gain 4-5 lbs to make the next weight class and potentially set a record. I'm of the opinion that since it's a Push/Pull meet, he's got one less discipline to be concerned with. If you're comfortable eating at a slightly higher surplus for the next 6 weeks to make the 242 weight class, go for it and get the record.

I have the Titan Triumph singlet. I compete at a body weight of 252-255 and wear a 2XL. I'm 5'11" and the legs come just slightly above half-way down my thigh. I ordered based on the sizing chart from Titan and think it fits just right.

I'm 5'11" as well and will order a XL based on the sizing chart. I have been eating over 4000 cals/day for the last 3 months and put on 10 lbs in that time so I'm fine with the surplus. Hopefully the extra holiday treats will help with the last 5 lbs!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I've competed in RPS competitions. I haven't competed in any of the ones Alex runs - Gene ran the ones I've competed in. If you really want to weigh in to the next weight class - you could (at least, there's no rule that I'm aware of) wear full clothes to weigh in. That'll add 3-4 lb easily. They might look at you weird, thinking you'd want to be in the lower weight class, but I can't imagine they'd "make" you strip down at all.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I've competed in RPS competitions. I haven't competed in any of the ones Alex runs - Gene ran the ones I've competed in. If you really want to weigh in to the next weight class - you could (at least, there's no rule that I'm aware of) wear full clothes to weigh in. That'll add 3-4 lb easily. They might look at you weird, thinking you'd want to be in the lower weight class, but I can't imagine they'd "make" you strip down at all.

Haha, I've never thought of that. Maybe add some rocks to my pockets too?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    To make the next class up, OP would only need to be over 220 lbs though (220 is max weight cap for current class, 242 class is just anything above that - so 220.1-242.0), which is only 4 lbs more than current. That could be eating big the previous day and a large breakfast before weigh ins.
    If 216 is fasted weight, likely you'd be close to hitting 220+ later in the day anyway after getting some meals in.
    Normally I would agree not to worry about your weight at all for your first meet, but being this close you could easily bump up to the next class if you wanted to. Just don't let it get to your head and pick outrageous attempts or go crazy with food and eat to the point you get sick. Be smart about your attempts regardless and have fun.
    (Honestly if it were me I would probably bump up and see if I could get the record.)

Thanks for the advice! The current deadlift record in my division in the 242 class in RPS is 605 lbs. I pulled 530x5 today after 3x2 and I am going to test my 1RM 3 weeks out from the meet. If I can pull 585+ on a stiff bar in the gym at that point, then I hopefully will try to break the record on a deadlift bar on my 3rd attempt at the meet (if everything goes well!).

Don't change anything. Don't try new things- don't try to set new records- just go lift- your first meet isn't about breaking records- it's about learning.

If you can "just go lift" AND set records though, that's fine too. OP would only have to eat heavy enough to gain 4-5 lbs to make the next weight class and potentially set a record. I'm of the opinion that since it's a Push/Pull meet, he's got one less discipline to be concerned with. If you're comfortable eating at a slightly higher surplus for the next 6 weeks to make the 242 weight class, go for it and get the record.

I have the Titan Triumph singlet. I compete at a body weight of 252-255 and wear a 2XL. I'm 5'11" and the legs come just slightly above half-way down my thigh. I ordered based on the sizing chart from Titan and think it fits just right.

cosgin on that- I don't think my brain realized he was so close to a weight class- reading comprehension was not my strong suit this morning.

As far as pulling big numbers pre lift- Sheiko has me pulling 100-105% of my 1RMP I think 3-4 weeks out from a comp? sometimes it helps- sometimes not.