Sweet potatoes broke my heart

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Man, after reading through much of this thread, I am left wondering something. Am I the only person who's idea of dressing up a sweet potato is just cutting it in half after baking, before eating the whole thing with my hands?

I just add a little butter.
  • columbus2015
    columbus2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A drizzle of olive oil, a dash or two of chipotle or cayenne pepper... roast em up... so much better than a bland old potato...
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    *waves sweet potato wedges banner*
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Man, after reading through much of this thread, I am left wondering something. Am I the only person who's idea of dressing up a sweet potato is just cutting it in half after baking, before eating the whole thing with my hands?

yum. I like to add garlic powder though. Just a sprinkle.

Also this thread made me crave potatoes yesterday so lunch is potato discs. yummmmm
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It was logging sweet potatoes by weight the first time that broke my heart. Let's just say that MFP and I have very different ideas about what qualifies as a "medium" sweet potato.

This right here.

In my neck of the woods, the typical sweet potato at the grocery store is bigger than a grapefruit. Oddly enough, half of that is still more than a "large". I've had to go to Trader Joe's and get the 'seconds' to find sweet potatoes that even fall in the USDA ranges.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Salt. Must have lots of salt, or sweet potatoes are not edible to me. Bonus points if it's Scorpion chili salt. Some butter is nice, too, but not required.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    bkbirge wrote: »
    I don't understand why my sweet potato meals are all high calorie, can anyone help me troubleshoot this?
    sx90sqd18ggm.jpg

I understand the sayings with "would kill for that" now...
  • chezinkflo
    chezinkflo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I changed to sweet potatoes because they release sugar more slowly than ordinary potatoes, which keeps you from feeling hungry for longer. That's the best reason to change to them.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    A drizzle of olive oil, a dash or two of chipotle or cayenne pepper... roast em up... so much better than a bland old potato...

Great idea! I would not have thought of those spices paired with a sweet potatoe!!!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I consider potatoes and sweet potatoes high calorie because they are not filling to me. Apparently they are supposed to be one of the top foods as far as satiety goes but it is just NOT true for me. Like to the point I get hangry after I eat them and pissed I wasted my calories on them. I love them but I need lower carb veg in high volume and a protein.

Do you like cauliflower? My husband will "rice" a bag of frozen cauliflower in the food processor and put Italian seasoning and Parmesan and eat the whole thing for under 150 calories. (4 cupsish) Might be an option! Good luck.

I find the smaller sweet potatoes in the bin, usually under 200 grams and that keeps it under 200 calories even with yogurt butter. That might fit better if you miss them.
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ha! haha Yep, having a sweet pot for dinner with skinless drumsticks and roasted cabbage steaks.
    I love baked sweet potatoes with nothing but salt. They already taste sweet and creamy to me.
    I feel like I get a big bang for my buck when I eat them because they are satisfying, and to me, lower calorie food choice that makes me feel full while packing a nutritious punch.

But the sweet potato mash and fries you speak of? Nope, those are most CERTAINLY not calorie friendly. Still yummy I'm sure. Would I eat them? YEP! I'd just have to tweak everything for day ;)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I go for a mix of olive oil, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, & cinnamon myself. Delicious.

I'll have to try out chipotle on them sometime.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Cereal serving sizes piss me off. That's about it.

THIS... ALL.DAY.LONG.

OMG, me too. I never touch cereal now, it would take three servings to fill me up.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I chop them up before cooking and add a little salt and olive oil, but that's it. Occasionally add something spicy.

That's also exactly how I like my potatoes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

And salt!

Nom nom nom.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Nut and peanut butter broke my heart :'(

So many calories for such a small amount...
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    i dont like sweet spuds, give me a nice white one any day

however I do secretly feed them to the kids, when i make them mash spud i put in a bit of white spud, bit of sweet spud and some parsnip