Sweet potatoes broke my heart

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't mind sweet potatoes, but I prefer a regular potato. I eat them often.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Love sweet potatoes. I think they're a great bang for your caloric buck. Then again, I make them more caloric by putting peanut butter on top of them (don't knock it til you try it)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Cereal serving sizes piss me off. That's about it.

You know those extra large Cool Whip containers? One serving of cereal. At least when I was a kid, it was.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, now I want a baked sweet potato with dinner. Yum.

With dinner? I may have one FOR dinner. LOL
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

You know those extra large Cool Whip containers? One serving of cereal. At least when I was a kid, it was.

A friend of mine feeds his kids cereal in those. It's usually something like Fruit Loops. Then the parents seem confused when the kids are wired as hell and won't go to sleep afterward. All I can do is shake my head.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

A friend of mine feeds his kids cereal in those. It's usually something like Fruit Loops. Then the parents seem confused when the kids are wired as hell and won't go to sleep afterward. All I can do is shake my head.

I never had that problem. And I ate Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, whatever. Of course, this was typically early on a weekend morning, then I'd go outside and run around for hours.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Discovered the other day that a dollop of plain yoghurt is lovely on a sweet potato.

My friendly neighbourhood German discount supermarket sells sweet potatoes in two sizes: mini and humongous. This is what is left after the other supermarkets have bought up the reasonably sized ones.

I'm not complaining. They're really cheap.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Cereal pisses me off way more than sweet potatoes.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I replaced my sweet taters with Butternut squash and never looked back. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I use a large stainless steel bowl that I have been using for the last 30 years. It's my go to. A bit larger than a Cool Whip bowl I think and stays nice and cold :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Man, after reading through much of this thread, I am left wondering something. Am I the only person who's idea of dressing up a sweet potato is just cutting it in half after baking, before eating the whole thing with my hands?

I chop them up before cooking and add a little salt and olive oil, but that's it. Occasionally add something spicy.

That's also exactly how I like my potatoes.

We are sweet potato twins. I've done them sweet with maple syrup for Thanksgiving since it's a dish my husband is used to, but vastly prefer them plain and roasted.

There's also a lovely winter vegetable stew I make that they feature in, just boiled.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    I replaced my sweet taters with Butternut squash and never looked back. :)

Can you make butternut squash wedges?

BRB, Googling...
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    Love sweet potatoes. I think they're a great bang for your caloric buck. Then again, I make them more caloric by putting peanut butter on top of them (don't knock it til you try it)

Omg, if I am ever able to add peanut butter into my diet again, I will have to try that! I like sweet potatoes plain, but I just made baked fries with olive oil, sea salt, ground ginger, thyme and rosemary. So simple, yet so delicious!

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Normal potatoes are very high in vitamin C. And other things which escape me at the moment. And their skins go crispier when you bake them.

I believe you have yellow-fleshed sweet potatoes in the states. We don't get those, only the orange ones. And I can get the purple ones at the Chinese supermarket, which are lovely - a bit denser and less sweet, and such a gorgeous colour, which stays when you cook them (unlike regular purple potatoes, which turn white when you cook them :( )

Really? The reason I dislike sweet potatoes is because they are too sweet! Vegetable + sweet just doesn't mix for med. Maybe I need to keep an eye out for purple ones. I doubt we have them, but I will no longer avoid the sweet potato section because maybe, who knows! I really wanted to like them but ugh :disappointed:

I don't think they're any sweeter than carrots or butternut squash.

I don't like cooked carrots either, and I can only tolerate the orange squashes with lots and lots of salt and pepper (or other savoury spices). Vegetables are not meant to be sweet.

In my opinion. Yadda yadda. Disclaimer.

• CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Onions are sweet too. That's why they caramelise.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Healthy food does not necessarity mean low-calorie. Sweet potatoes are loaded with vitamins, fiber, and taste.

Eating a whole sweet potato will fill you up (nutritionally as well as satiation-wise) much more than the equivalent in something like potato chips.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Healthy food does not necessarity mean low-calorie. Sweet potatoes are loaded with vitamins, fiber, and taste.

Eating a whole sweet potato will fill you up (nutritionally as well as satiation-wise) much more than the equivalent in something like potato chips.

That is my experience (although just eating a sweet potato by itself has never appealed to me--I want meat and vegetables with it, or maybe some kale and black beans in a stew or some such--and I don't care about chips). However, it is worth noting that that has nothing to do with sweet potatoes vs. potatoes (you can find sweet potato chips and compare them to a whole roasted potato in the same way). It has to do with the fact that half the calories from chips are from the fat and for many people that combination of fat, salt, and carbs is hard to stop eating.

That said, others claim that fat plays an important role in filling them up (not me), so would presumably be more full with the carbs+fat than just carbs. You simply cannot generalize about satiety.
  • headtotoetherapy
    headtotoetherapy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato is higher in fiber and Beta C which makes you feel fuller longer vs. the regular potato. Fiber is the way to go
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Sauteed sweet potato leave is the best!

potato-greens-dish.png