The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    54 here. Started MFP at about 300 lbs several years ago but am down to 225 now with a goal of 200, so I'm making progress. Having fun as a beginner triathlete (who needs to work on his running).
  • WhalenJR
    WhalenJR Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    54 here. Started MFP at about 300 lbs several years ago but am down to 225 now with a goal of 200, so I'm making progress. Having fun as a beginner triathlete (who needs to work on his running).

I am planning to start with triathlon training in spring. I have a few running goals I am focusing on first. Particularly my first half marathon in March. I would like to hear about your experiences with getting started.
  • Moncsik79
    Moncsik79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm 38 and I would like to loose weight once at all. I would like to change my lifestyle, to be fit and healthy. This isn't my first attempt, but a good community can help me...
  • karijo475
    karijo475 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    CajunTess wrote: »
    @karijo475 I nominate you to be this group's official welcomer :smile:

Thanks CajunTess, hopefully it's not bothering anyone.
  • karijo475
    Options
    Jessyd76 wrote: »
    Hi there! 41, been absent from MFP for a while, but trying to get going again!

Welcome! I find being consistent is a daily struggle!! At least for me it is.
  • karijo475
    Options
    36 here, feel free to addme

Welcome!
  • karijo475
    Options
    Hi All! 48 here. I did MFP for a few years but took a break. Life changes have me working from home and around food too much. I need to get back on track. I’m a runner, do yoga and Pilates, strength training and HIIT. I also use FitBit as part of my healthy living. I don’t use special diets, just practice moderation. If you’d like to add me, that would be great!

Welcome!! Wow, you have a great workout!! I haven't done yoga or pilates... maybe one day. :)
  • karijo475
    Options
    tim201200 wrote: »
    Hi there..trying to recommit to losing pounds. From Calgary, AB. Feel free to add me. Good luck to all!

Welcome!!
  • karijo475
    Options
    Hi! So glad I'm not the only one here today

Sorry, was a busy weekend. Hope yours was good!!
  • hargiebargie
    hargiebargie Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Wow, Im a middle-ager. ;)
    Im 41. Back on MFP. Trying to slim down.
    My profile gives all the details but essentially I'm a cyclist and want to get faster, and live longer.
    Im vegan too, but that doesn't necessarily mean lean or healthy.
    Fortunately Im pretty healthy, but not all that lean.
    Feel free to add me!
  • rae1721
    rae1721 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I thought this would be a good place to post this question....

Now that I'm in a new age bracket I find it harder to get back to running when I take a few days off. I haven't ran in three days and this morning after my jog I can already feel my legs cramping up a bit and I noticed I wasn't able to go as far?? I can remember years ago when I started running I could take a week off and it would be no problem getting back into it.....

Cheers to the midlife crisis ;-)
  • hargiebargie
    Options
    rae1721 wrote: »

Now that I'm in a new age bracket I find it harder to get back to running when I take a few days off. I haven't ran in three days and this morning after my jog I can already feel my legs cramping up a bit and I noticed I wasn't able to go as far?? I can remember years ago when I started running I could take a week off and it would be no problem getting back into it.....

Yep. I just got back into playing basketball after...I dunno, six or seven years off? I ride bikes pretty much daily but playing hook is a whole other thing and my game is coming back but damn is it sloooowwwww......
  • karijo475
    Options
    I'm just about to hit 40. I've lost about 50 pounds over the last two years, and looking to add friends for support/motivation to lose 20-30 more. Please feel free to send me a friend request!

Good job losing 50#. That's a great accomplishment!! I'm down 72 and I have about 65ish to go.
  • karijo475
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I'm 44, and have lost 138 lbs in 10 months eating a plant-based diet.

Way to go!!! That's awesome!!!!
    48 here, and oh where did the years go? kids are grown and i'm just trying to get a bit healthier. Started c25k app this week. legs are sore but happy.

Right!? I feel like the last 10 years went by overnight!! Are you liking the C25K? One of my good friends did it and she loved it.
  • rae1721
    rae1721 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Yep. I just got back into playing basketball after...I dunno, six or seven years off? I ride bikes pretty much daily but playing hook is a whole other thing and my game is coming back but damn is it sloooowwwww......

Yes exactly ....it's frustrating and I feel like I need to run in the dark so no one sees me double over lol ;-)

Congrats to you for getting back at it though

• hargiebargie
    Options

Yes exactly ....it's frustrating and I feel like I need to run in the dark so no one sees me double over lol ;-)

Congrats to you for getting back at it though

[/quote]

haha thanks. I just needed to do something to shake it up a bit and not only ride bikes.
  • tamieavise1975
    tamieavise1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 42, I have suffered from chronic health problems and pain since my 20's. I just keep putting on more and more weight because I can't be physically active like I was. I am praying that this program will help. Also would like to find others who are battling the same difficulties and be buddies and help each other with encouragement and accountability. Anyone interested please add me, thank you
  • heather4life4
    heather4life4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Soon to be 37, looking for encouraging friends as well. Learning the ropes with food choices and exercise.
  • karijo475
    Options
    Hi I'm 42, I have suffered from chronic health problems and pain since my 20's. I just keep putting on more and more weight because I can't be physically active like I was. I am praying that this program will help. Also would like to find others who are battling the same difficulties and be buddies and help each other with encouragement and accountability. Anyone interested please add me, thank you

Sorry to hear about your health problems. What kinds of exercises can you do?
    Soon to be 37, looking for encouraging friends as well. Learning the ropes with food choices and exercise.

Welcome! Shout out with questions, I'm sure someone on this thread can help!! :)
  • karijo475
    Options
    KolleenS wrote: »
    @ karijo475 Thank you for the welcome!

I'm sure I'm at at impasse now. Had a severe life altering upset one month ago tomorrow and that caused me to lose my appetite. I was already doing well losing weight and liking myself, but then this happened. When I stopped eating I dropped pounds but we all know that's temporary because starvation is not a way to lose weight. Plus all the nervous energy I had, I couldn't stop walking and moving around, losing even more calories.

Now I'm back on forcing at least 1200 calories a day and my weight is stalled. I guess that's better than going up!

I'm sticking to it and hopefully the scale will move sooner than later.

Kolleen I am sure once your body figures out that you aren't starving yourself and that you are eating right again, things will start moving in the right direction again!!