The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    If they are worried people won't be available ON THEIR DAY OFF, they shouldn't give Saturday or Sunday either. Sheesh! Some employers! This is the kind of stuff that makes retirement seem much farther away than it actually is.

On call is fine, but if you want people to be available at your beck and call, you have to PAY THEM during their time off. Not their full salary unless maybe it's just an occasional thing, but if you want people to stay within a 30 minute response and be READY TO REPORT (i.e., don't have a beer), pay them at least one hour for every five or ten that they are waiting by the phone.

I have been, with a few rare exceptions, fortunate to have good supervisors and managers. I don't respond well to bad management.... It's sad how many people seem to do really good at their jobs, and then get promoted to management but are not given adequate management training. Someone who is good at DOING isn't always that good at managing others. It's a whole different skill set, and when you move to management, you need to quit doing the work and empower your people to do their best. That's all.
  • mzdee1024
    mzdee1024 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Anybody out there near the 59 year old mark!!? Have lost 54 lbs since July, have left the medical practice diet (very stringent) now finding my way with sensible eating. Just meeting some people to chat would be fun.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    If they are worried people won't be available ON THEIR DAY OFF, they shouldn't give Saturday or Sunday either. Sheesh! Some employers! This is the kind of stuff that makes retirement seem much farther away than it actually is.

On call is fine, but if you want people to be available at your beck and call, you have to PAY THEM during their time off. Not their full salary unless maybe it's just an occasional thing, but if you want people to stay within a 30 minute response and be READY TO REPORT (i.e., don't have a beer), pay them at least one hour for every five or ten that they are waiting by the phone.

That's what I thought! I'm thinking "okay, so you are so worried that everyone will take Friday off and won't be available for the rare storm duty that you tell us we can't Fridays at all. But for the folks who are wanting the 3 day weekend, that means they all will take Monday instead. So now you don't have coverage for Monday, especially since the groups that had worked their schedules out so that half took Friday and half took Monday can't work that schedule now, so everyone is taking Monday. What then? Do we say that we can't take Mondays then? If everyone switches to Tuesday because of the stipulation of no Fridays or Mondays, will you take that away too, and keep cutting until you get us back to a regular 5 day a week work week?"

What gets me is that I work for a power company, and all this has already been dealt with and handles just fine by the lines department for the linemen in the union. I don't know why its so hard for the engineering department in the office to figure out how to make it work, especially since over-time availability for us is only needed on a rare occasion where there is a major storm.

Sadly, its the people at the top who are making the mandate; not my local supervision. And yet, the company has recently made it a goal to increase diversity and flexibility because of the results of several cultural surveys they've had their personnel fill out which indicated that one of the big areas that employees feel the company is lacking in is in work/life balance!
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I have been, with a few rare exceptions, fortunate to have good supervisors and managers. I don't respond well to bad management.... It's sad how many people seem to do really good at their jobs, and then get promoted to management but are not given adequate management training. Someone who is good at DOING isn't always that good at managing others. It's a whole different skill set, and when you move to management, you need to quit doing the work and empower your people to do their best. That's all.

^^This is exactly why I don't want a supervisor's job! :) I know I don't have the skill set to handle potential conflict. I'm not a leader type and I know it, and while I'll take lead in a situation if there is absolutely no one else to do it, I know I'm not good at it. I'm much better as a delegate or someone who gets direction from the leader and then is given the freedom to get the work done, or to work in a support role. Course, I'm coming from a generation that was taught that everyone had to be a leader......course, if everyone is leading, who are they leading if no one is following? *rolls eyes*

And I work for a company where training is very inadequate, so I really don't want another position where I'm tossed into the lake to figure it out on my with very little to no direction!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    So i stopped by to say hi to the seniors curlers I played with last year. I had asked the organizer last year when had to put me on a team with the nasty old pervy skip if I would play with him after as a reward . Well today he asked when I'll return unsaid maybe January. Well he's putting me on his team haha. I better be back in January.
  • srburmester
    srburmester Posts: 61 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    57 and doing well. I'd like to join to give you all a preview of what's to come 55+.

I'm a life long fitness practitioner, meaning its just part of my everyday, part of who I am. On the job I'm a 100% desk jockey. When I was in my 20s it was about ego and looking good. 30s, well, I guess the same and I started to pull away from my peers. 40s I became more an outlier, still a lot of ego, but also it was relaxing. 50s, ego much less so, but I'm definitely a 5% outlier at this point. At 55 I felt my CV ability dropping significantly AND for the first time in my life I couldn't eat as I wished, probably cuz my running miles were much less than in prior year. I also noticed my knees were a bit more sore and didn't respond to lateral motion too happily. ALSO flexibility is becoming more of an issue 55+, your body accumulates little tears, scars along the way that accumulate.

I still do what most 57yos would consider possible undoable -- a steady diet of beachbody workout (insanity, p90x, and the like). I am 6'0" 170lbs, heavier that I used to be but my body just won't let go of that middle section chub, again, most people would say SHUT UP you're cut -- but we all have our standards. I've never been more than 10lbs overweight because I self correct when I drift up to that...

I know at 57, I'm not going to turn heads any more, except maybe to note "what a freakish old man with a 25yo body!!? WTF!" LOL so its all about just feeling good in my skin and knowing I'll be around to watch my kids (and someday grand kids) grow up and thrive. I'd like to do something crazy like an ultra but I'm also just happy to feel my heart beat in my chest and run miles in the country at sunrise. I'm embarking on more mindfulness (meditation) and balance in my workouts. I don't want to blow out a knee or hip overdoing it so I keep workout with limits I know are safe. But I know I still have that gear if I feel like going for it on occasion.

Hope all you young'ns can learn from this short bio -- know your WHY and most of all ENJOY the journey of fitness as a lifestyle not an endpoint! Don't let yourself become crazy outta shape and overweight, because its gets tougher to undo that as you age. But if you're there, just set goals, progressive goals and hold tight to your WHY because its gotta be stronger than your favorite food after 10pm (a whole pepperoni pizza, a big chocolate bar, ice cream, etc). Feeling good and being around for your loved ones is way worth it IMHO. Good luck my friends.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    57 and doing well. I'd like to join to give you all a preview of what's to come 55+

So how does the future look????
  • srburmester
    srburmester Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    57 and doing well. I'd like to join to give you all a preview of what's to come 55+

I can't say for the world, but in what you can control (yourself), with discipline and mindfulness at least up to 60 looks pretty amazing (I never imagine 60 would be this awesome in terms of physical ability).
  • AliNouveau
    Options

I can't say for the world, but in what you can control (yourself), with discipline and mindfulness at least up to 60 looks pretty amazing (I never imagine 60 would be this awesome in terms of physical ability).

Hey I was just visiting my curling friends many of which play in an octogenarian league. I was chatting with an 80 year old skating friend the other day. So the future is bright for many many more years
  • caddiegiant
    caddiegiant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Introducing myself...add me if you’d like...I started using MFP when I saw a picture of me eating 3 entrees for lunch and another picture of me at South Lake Tahoe and I was astounded at how bad I looked. I was eating 6000 calories per day and not exercising. Almost took pride in how much I ate every day. Decided I had to make a change and didn’t tell anyone. Just started logging every food and drink I consumed and have been extremely disciplined in running and working out. Run, lift, run, lift, eat smart. Repeat. Well...here I am, 116 days later, and I’ve reached my first goal!!! I’ve dropped 50.5 to go from 241.6 to 191.5 and I’m starting to see the muscle definition in my body that I haven’t seen since the early 90s! I feel great, hoping I look great, and this journey has just begun for me! Add me as a friend if you like and let’s get healthy together! Have a great, healthy, and inspiring day!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I was at a conference last week. I get my coffee delivered mail order to the office. The upshot of this was that I ran out of coffee on Saturday (with a delivery at the office I had failed to collect). Sunday was a bit grim....

I have now picked up fresh supplies (350 grams Ethiopian filter and 350 grams Colombian espresso.) All is right with the world again.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    reggiedrum wrote: »
    Check 5k off bucket list !!! Had a great time. My main take away was seeing the finish line and pouring on the speed for a strong finish. Mind you that I have never ran a race of any type before. Even with an aching hip. Nothing ice, heat,and ibuprofen cant fix. Pictures to follow.

Hey well done congrats on an awesome achievement
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Check 5k off bucket list !!! Had a great time. My main take away was seeing the finish line and pouring on the speed for a strong finish. Mind you that I have never ran a race of any type before. Even with an aching hip. Nothing ice, heat,and ibuprofen cant fix. Pictures to follow.

Well done 👏
  • steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I still remember my first 5k in 2015 after 30 years of a mile attempt putting me halfway in a coffin!!! A terrific feeling for sure! Each step up or better effort had that same rush. Pulled off a Half Marathon this fall on short training... Felt perhaps even better! Congrats and if you enjoy running, keep pushing for bigger goals.... You might just surprise yourself and its a great feeling!
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Congratulations! So glad you got to do it.
  • Hharley1995
    Hharley1995 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on the upper end of this group as i am 57. I have always stayed fairly active and I boxed for 10 years. I just started training about 6 months ago. You can still build muscle and feel great about yourself at any age. It just gets a little tougher.
  • elaine4jesus2017
    elaine4jesus2017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Almost 50 years old , well really almost 48 dec 16 th lol but still close to 50 , glad there is group for middle Agers , ty
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    You know you're old when you trip going down your outside front stairs and land on your walk way skinning both your knees. At least my shoulder seems ok cgh5c04303il.jpg

Rest up hope you feel better soon!
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    annliz23 wrote: »
    You know you're old when you trip going down your outside front stairs and land on your walk way skinning both your knees. At least my shoulder seems ok cgh5c04303il.jpg

Rest up hope you feel better soon!

Thanks. The knees are so annoying but are healing. I like to kneel on the floor though doing the exercises for my shoulder rehab so ya that's not happening right now.