Low Blood Pressure

Options
I have always had low blood pressure as it runs in my family, but lately I have noticed it has been lower and I have started to have symptoms (I have a tester at home). I went to my GP yesterday and it was 90/60. He said to eat more salt which I use a TON. He did some blood work to see if there was anything else going on so I am waiting on those results. He told me that he could put me on medication, but he rarely has anyone at my age (33) that is on low blood pressure medication.
Today after exercise I took it and it was 86/60. This freaked me out and a couple of times I have taken it this week it has been 86/53. I workout 5 times a week for about an hour a day, which I don't consider that too much. I do push myself pretty hard. Can my diet/exercise have a factor in my blood pressure? I have noticed this past week has been a struggle to get through my workouts and I have been more tired.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Were you tested for anemia? This can cause/contribute to low BP. What about testing for vitamin B deficiencies? Are you an omnivore?

I used to have low BP. I do have anemia, and cannot control it by diet alone. Between increased salt and treating anemia, I no longer have low BP.

When my anemia was untreated I had quite a bit of fatigue.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't eat red meat, but still eat tons of chicken, eggs, fish, and turkey. The doctor ordered a full work up so I would guess he would check for anemia.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    I don't eat red meat, but still eat tons of chicken, eggs, fish, and turkey. The doctor ordered a full work up so I would guess he would check for anemia.

Alas, you'd think a full workup would include iron levels, but despite having been anemic for decades I have learned I need to request this test specifically when getting routine bloodwork.

However, if you mentioned fatigue he may have indeed ordered a test to check for anemia.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    From what I've read there's no absolute number that is too low. How do you feel? Do you stand up and get dizzy?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes, anemia is a good thing to check. I tend to be anemic. I also have genetically low blood pressure and my normal is 85/53 ish. Other than blacking out when abruptly standing up it hasn't caused any issues.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Red meat has way more iron than the ones you listed. I'd ask to be checked for anemia. And maybe add in better sources of Iron to your diet.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    From what I've read there's no absolute number that is too low. How do you feel? Do you stand up and get dizzy?

This. If you are not symptomatic (ex. Fainting, light headed, dizzy) there shouldn't be too much reason for panic. I have lower than textbook BP also, it runs in my family too. I manage mine by pausing to sit up for about 10 seconds when getting out of bed in the morning (i.e. Not jumping right out of bed in the am) Good to check with your doc to rule out problems, but if your BP has been low all your life, this is unlikely.
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Exercise does cause lower blood pressure. It is not unusual for there to be a temporary drop after cardiovascular exercise in particular. How soon after exercise are you checking?

Eating more salt does help retain fluids which can help increase blood volume, however this only works if you are drinking adequate fluids through out the day. How much are you drinking to stay hydrated?

Lack of iron increases the effects of having low blood pressure (fatigue, dizziness) but doesn't cause low blood pressure on its own. It doesn't hurt to be tested if you haven't been already, but it is likely that resolving anemia alone will not completely fix your low blood pressure even if it would minimize some of the symptoms.

Doctors are often very reluctant to prescribe medication for low blood pressure with out first exhausting all non-pharmacological remedies because these medications do come with some serious side effects and benefits are frequently not worth it unless the symptoms of the low blood pressure are causing a severely negative impact on daily life.

Also remember that the number alone is not the concern when it comes to low blood pressure. The biggest concern with low blood pressure is fainting and falls. Unless you are also having symptoms - fatigue, dizziness, weakness, or fainting - the low blood pressure may not actually be a problem for you, and as such doesn't need treatment.
  • ChelzFit
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! The reason I went to the doctor is that over the past month I have been experiencing the fuzzy dizzy feeling, especially in the early afternoon. Today was the first time I checked my BP right after exercise because I was starting to feel dizzy. Usually I have no issues with feeling dizzy or lightheaded during my workouts. I feel like I am drinking enough, my pee is always clear, I will admit I have a hard time drinking plain water. I usually drink a ton of Propel Zero or PowerAde Zero, and I do have two Diet Cokes a day along with an Ice Tea on occasion. I wish now I would have specified to test for Iron, I will have to ask them when they call with my results.
    He had no problem with me going on medication, he just said he has never had a patient as young as me on low BP medication which makes me not want to have to resort that way. I have nothing against red meat, just not a huge fan of it. I eat a TON of broccoli and other green veggies...I might have to look up other good sources of iron.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Are you underweight or undereating? Mine gets even lower when I do either of those things. Mine is usually 90/60 and my doctor was never concerned.
  • ChelzFit
    Options
    I am 5'7 135 so I don't consider myself underweight, I eat around 2,300 a day and my workouts burn around 400-500 cals based off my polar HRM 5 days a week. I thought that might be a reason as well, but I feel as if I'm eating enough.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Actually having a MAP (mean arterial blood pressure) >60 is pretty important to end organ perfusion ... that is, blood flow to your brain kidneys etc.

MAP is calculated by (systolic blood pressure (the top number) + diastolic (the lower number) + diastolic again) divided by 3.

Keep in mind electronic sphygmomanometers (blood pressure machines) can be way out. With a low ready your doctor or nurse should be checking a manual (old pump up) reading and listening with a stethoscope. Use of the right size cuff can also affect reading.

Extremely low blood pressure is rarely normal, though if your baseline is known to be low a small deviation from this can be normal.

Anyway - please get your info from appropriately trained medical professionals not people on an app.

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Low blood pressure runs in my family, especially among the females. When I was younger a bottom reading above 60 was abnormal for me. My normal was around 95/55. But other than very occasional dizziness upon standing after sitting for a prolonged period of time I always felt fine. If the dizziness is an issue then you probably do need to pursue it with a doctor.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Agree that regular dizziness merits a MD consult.

Anecdotally, I didn't eat meat and was anemic in my early twenties. Have always had low, BP, too. Would pass out under certain rare circumstances (standing too long, while dehydrated, that kind of thing). Once I passed out after a long boring banquet dinner with a bunch of elderly women. Didn't fit the regular pattern, as I had been sitting and had just eaten. Embarrassing that these older women were swarming to put me, the twenty-something, in a wheelchair. Mentioned it to my GP the next time I went, and she said my regaining consciousness sounded just irregular enough to warrant further study. Long story short, vagal syncope & the cardiologist told me to eat more salt, too.

I'm a little concerned about lizery's end organ profusion criteria above. :# <--oops, didn't read closely enough, failed to double diastolic. All ok. :D

ETA: Don't supplement with iron unless a blood test indicates deficiency. Excess iron can be toxic.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I also have the same background and low BP as you, around that same area. Last time I went to the doc two weeks ago I was 95/54. I started adding more soup, its sodium I don't notice as much. I eat a ton of salt and my doctor told me the same thing to keep eating more. Mine was not usually this low but I am also working out 5 days a week. I wouldn't want to take medication either, I am only 23.
  • ChelzFit
    Options
    So my lab results all came back normal. When looking at them I did notice that all of my numbers for iron, potassium, calcium, wbc, and rbc were either 1 point or .5 above normal nothing in the mid to high range.The nurse said it is fine because it is still in the normal range. The past two days I have taken time off from exercise and have noticed improvement in my bp, not as dizzy. I'm still a little fatigued and my blood sugar has dropped low a couple times. I have a feeling I might just be overtraining. In the past when I have overworked myself I have noticed my blood sugars tend to get out of whack. I am a type A person and it is hard for me to take an extended break from exercise. My plan is to take a week off, eat a little above maintance and see how I feel.
  • gnu4liberty
    gnu4liberty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If my lower number gets in the 40s, I am too dizzy to get out of bed. I do arm exercises until I feel better. The less I weigh, the more problems I have with my pressure.
  • SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    I have always had low blood pressure as it runs in my family, but lately I have noticed it has been lower and I have started to have symptoms (I have a tester at home). I went to my GP yesterday and it was 90/60. He said to eat more salt which I use a TON. He did some blood work to see if there was anything else going on so I am waiting on those results. He told me that he could put me on medication, but he rarely has anyone at my age (33) that is on low blood pressure medication.
    Today after exercise I took it and it was 86/60. This freaked me out and a couple of times I have taken it this week it has been 86/53. I workout 5 times a week for about an hour a day, which I don't consider that too much. I do push myself pretty hard. Can my diet/exercise have a factor in my blood pressure? I have noticed this past week has been a struggle to get through my workouts and I have been more tired.

Holy crap! Sounds like me!!! My BP gets low like that too!
  • SapphireMoon23
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

Actually having a MAP (mean arterial blood pressure) >60 is pretty important to end organ perfusion ... that is, blood flow to your brain kidneys etc.

MAP is calculated by (systolic blood pressure (the top number) + diastolic (the lower number) + diastolic again) divided by 3.

Keep in mind electronic sphygmomanometers (blood pressure machines) can be way out. With a low ready your doctor or nurse should be checking a manual (old pump up) reading and listening with a stethoscope. Use of the right size cuff can also affect reading.

Extremely low blood pressure is rarely normal, though if your baseline is known to be low a small deviation from this can be normal.

Anyway - please get your info from appropriately trained medical professionals not people on an app.

So the diastolic should really not be lower than 60?

My Dr knows me for years. He is not surprised by my low bp.

I have not been pushing the exercise due to lower than usual blood pressure & heart rate, bp 88/48 hr 48 or less.
    Today it's looking better, bp 96/60 hr 60, & I had more energy. I still get lightheaded when I stand up too quickly.
    My treatment:
    120/80 Care supplement w/ Hawthorne, a.m. & p.m.
    B-complex in the a.m. & p.m.
    Vega proteins and greens.
    Electrolyte fizz tabs.
    Iodized sea salt & Himalayan salt on most foods & in my water. My Dr said to stop avoiding salt & add it to my water, since I drink 3 liters daily.
    Rest.
    Gentle exercises, no jumping jacks or burpees.
    Iron Floradix, I've been anemic since I was little.
    Visualization & self-talk that my BP will gradually return to what's normal for me, 95/65 to 100/70.

• SapphireMoon23
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Were you tested for anemia? This can cause/contribute to low BP. What about testing for vitamin B deficiencies? Are you an omnivore?

I used to have low BP. I do have anemia, and cannot control it by diet alone. Between increased salt and treating anemia, I no longer have low BP.

When my anemia was untreated I had quite a bit of fatigue.

OMG! Thank you!! Sounds like me!!