Why are the last pounds "slow"?

Options
I've read several times in different posts that it is very common that as an individual approaches his/her goal weight, the last pounds come off slowly?

Why is this? Is there research that documents this, or is it just anecdotal perceptions?

And, if there is research, what is the point at which weight loss slows? Is it at a certain body fat percentage, or BMI, or within a certain number of pounds of the goal?

Just curious--I'm not experiencing this as I approach my goal, so I wanted to know if it really is common / researched / anecdotal / or ????

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I've never understood this concept.

Although metabolic and hormonal adaptations caused by a lower bodyweight, long term dieting and a steady reasonable deficit are at play they aren't going to be drastic enough to suddenly grind things to a slow down as you approach some arbitrary number you have set yourself.

Also, if you just review and change your goal so you suddenly have more to lose does this slow down disappear? And then come back when you're near your new goal.

Yours

Equally confused.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    They're slow as it would be difficult to decrease the amount of calories consumed without going lower than recommended and eventually developing malnutrition.

But if your goal is a reasonable one, why would calories need to be dropped that far?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    They're slow as it would be difficult to decrease the amount of calories consumed without going lower than recommended and eventually developing malnutrition.

But if your goal is a reasonable one, why would calories need to be dropped that far?

What I meant was one near goal could sustain a .5lb or even a 1lb per week loss no problem for the last 10lbs depending on their TDEE, but if they are already on the lower end of calories, to drop calories any lower to lose faster may not work out as it could mean someone may go too low. Usually those who are close to goal may be at the lower end of reasonable calories, but not always (depending on activity level/TDEE).

Deficits are usually smaller towards goal (for most).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have no earthly clue, but... they just do.

Signed, the one who only whooshes every 5 weeks now that she only has 5 pounds to lose and is already pretty tiny.

To be serious, a lot of it I think is diet fatigue, you're not as compliant and some of it is metabolic adaptation (this is why I'm currently eating at maintenance for a while).

This all depends also on how long someone has been dieting, the size of the deficit, if they've taken diet breaks, yada yada.

Another factor is that deficits are smaller at the end. It's really easy for small errors in either logging or exercise calories to wipe them out. It's also easy, if you're training harder, for water fluctuations to hide fat losses.

One of the things I've noticed is that I've been steadily losing body fat while the scale has been seemingly standing still for periods. It's due to exercise.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    As we get lighter so does our total calories being burned also means less room for logging errors.

Since I've been in maintenance I've dropped a further 7lbs over the last 2 years and my TDEE has went from 2200 to 1950 even with being very active (and only 5 ft 2) So the lighter we get means less calories in.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Because they weigh less so they burn less calories in their exercise. And the calories cant be cut to low so its harder to make a big defecit
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Much smaller window. Of error, among other things.... and someone who isn't moments from bed will explain it much better. It just is. cheers.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty simple to me. The heavier you are, the more calories it takes to maintain your weight. Which means as you lose weight, your maintenance calories go down and as Christine 72 points out, small differences in logging will have a bigger effect than when you were heavier. Try putting your calories and info in the following calculator, and see what you get for maintenance; then put your info in with your target weight and you'll see that the number of maintenance calories is lower at your target weight.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I could lose these 6lbs quickly if i wanted to by creating a 1000 calorie deficit everyday, but I'd be incredibly hungry, lethargic and plain miserable.
    And from what I've read on these forums i couldn't be sure how much fat v muscle i would lose on such an extreme deficit.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I thought when I started out that I'd be able to continue my 5 lb/ mo weight loss all the way to my goal weight, because my goal was the top of my BMI range. Here's what I learned

1. My goal weight is quite a bit lighter than I anticipated because I lost several inches due to scoliosis. I'm already 15 lbs under the goal weight I originally set, which was based on my pre-scoliosis height.
    2. The lighter I get , the harder it is to live with fewer calories. While I managed just fine on 1500 / day while sedentary and 100 lbs overweight, now I get VERY cranky if I go under 1800 because I'm walking 3-4 miles a day and generally far more active. I think that the hunger signals have ramped up.
    3. As others said, the room for error is smaller when you decrease your deficit
    4. Obviously a small deficit means a slower loss.

Now I am losing at a rate of about 2.5 lbs / month. I am aiming for another 5 lbs, possibly another 10 at the most. I may never actually get there because I HATE BEING HUNGRY.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much it. Bodies have a tendency to "fight back" hormonally by making a person hungrier and hungrier as they get lighter (within a healthy range). This can make "vanity pounds" quite tricky to lose.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    For smaller or short people, it's harder to create a deficit. I am 6'5'. When I got down to around 190, I could still easily lose 2+ pounds a week eating around 1300-1400 calories with no exercise. I don't exercise now, and never have. I am very sedentary because I have MS and it's difficult enough to have enough energy to do basic tasks. I also do not work.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    2. The lighter I get , the harder it is to live with fewer calories. While I managed just fine on 1500 / day while sedentary and 100 lbs overweight, now I get VERY cranky if I go under 1800 because I'm walking 3-4 miles a day and generally far more active. I think that the hunger signals have ramped up.

Now I am losing at a rate of about 2.5 lbs / month. I am aiming for another 5 lbs, possibly another 10 at the most. I may never actually get there because I HATE BEING HUNGRY. [/quote]

Ok I was trying to quote tomteboda and have failed at using the quote function.

Anyway, this is super true for me too. I was losing a pound a week and had no trouble sticking to my calorie target, and now that I'm close, I'm so hungry! I recently read an article about bodies that have lost weight being 20% hungrier than bodies of the same weight that haven't lost weight. Or something like that. Sure feels true here.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The lighter I get , the harder it is to live with fewer calories. While I managed just fine on 1500 / day while sedentary and 100 lbs overweight, now I get VERY cranky if I go under 1800 because I'm walking 3-4 miles a day and generally far more active. I think that the hunger signals have ramped up.

Now I am losing at a rate of about 2.5 lbs / month. I am aiming for another 5 lbs, possibly another 10 at the most. I may never actually get there because I HATE BEING HUNGRY.

Ok I was trying to quote tomteboda and have failed at using the quote function.

Anyway, this is super true for me too. I was losing a pound a week and had no trouble sticking to my calorie target, and now that I'm close, I'm so hungry! I recently read an article about bodies that have lost weight being 20% hungrier than bodies of the same weight that haven't lost weight. Or something like that. Sure feels true here.

Same here. A month or two ago I was at 10-15 lbs from my goal weight (145) and losing happily at 1 lb a week. It's like as soon as I transitioned to .5 lb/wk, something switched off in my brain and I went from steady weight loss to wanting to lay around and eat everything in sight. Took a diet break at that point, but I'm struggling to get back into my groove. Have also regained a few pounds, so I get to tackle those as well.