Sitting rising test. I can't. Can you?

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
I am fitter and stronger than I've ever been but I still can't do this pigging thing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oQIbffQj2xM

Is there any truth in this being a good test of "fitness"

Replies

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I am not sure the truth behind it but it sure was funny to try to get back up the way she did. I failed.

Edit to say: I did score like an 8-9. On getting up I did need to use my hand to get myself started
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Hmmm sounds a little hokey.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I could back in my youth...now...not so much. I do good getting out of the floor using my hands and anything that I can grab on to...it isn't pretty.

I have torn muscles in my abdominal area which has left me with very little strength in my core which affects many moves that I try to do including being able to get out of the floor.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I can sit, but can't stand without a hand to push myself forward

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Oh I've seen this loads of places this was just the first YouTube video I found
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I am fitter and stronger than I've ever been but I still can't do this pigging thing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oQIbffQj2xM

Is there any truth in this being a good test of "fitness"

I hadn't done this exercise in the last 35 years, but yes I can :smiley:

Anyway, fitness is a spectrum, if you want to pick an objective test, I would look at this
    http://www.military.com/military-fitness/marine-corps-fitness-requirements/usmc-physical-fitness-test

• NoNameJustMe
    NoNameJustMe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Doing a little search I found this test was originally designed for the elderly, and it was published by one physician from one study. I've suffered with bursitis in my hips since my early 30's, which makes everything from walking, sleeping, and getting up and down, painful and difficult at times. This test, for me, is agony. Granted, the test may indicate ones flexibility but the life expectancy claim is unfounded.

This article breaks down the inconsistencies of the study:
    Does the Sitting-Rising Test Predict Your Risk for Dying?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if this test is intended for older individuals. When he said "how long you might live" and I see seniors completing this test my first thought is "Is he trying to test mobility, balance, proprioception, and basic strength in older individuals?".

in this case, i'd say yes performing this simple test could give a good indication as to how healthy and fit someone might be in their older age.

For someone younger? not so much.

It's still a good test for the above mentioned items. For reference I scored a 10.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Doing a little search I found this test was originally designed for the elderly, and it was published by one physician from one study. I've suffered with bursitis in my hips since my early 30's, which makes everything from walking, sleeping, and getting up and down, painful and difficult at times. This test, for me, is agony. Granted, the test may indicate ones flexibility but the life expectancy claim is unfounded.

This article breaks down the inconsistencies of the study:
    Does the Sitting-Rising Test Predict Your Risk for Dying?

Ah, okay... this is exactly what i thought.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I had to remove my socks to get a good grip on the floor and I definitely used some momentum to swing myself up, but I did it without using hands or forearms or the side of my leg. So, unless I have an unfortunate meeting with a semi, I should live another six years.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well, I can sit down, but no force in the world would have my 200 pound butt standing like that. I also think the scoring is silly, I basically score a "9" because I only need to use a hand once to get up, but I support a lot of my weight on it, I must be scoring lower than someone who wobbles to balance trying not to touch the ground and ends up touching it multiple times. What an odd scoring system, and what an odd measure of longevity.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I can sit down just fine. Getting my arthritic self up?

I'm dead already.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options

I'm dead already.

Naah, just a higher relative risk.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I'm dead already.

Nah, it's not that bad. I get a 7 by his scoring. I was being self-deprecating. I'm actually pleased with that. It's progress from where I used to be when my kids were young and I was obese and playing on the floor with them and struggled to get up.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options

I'm dead already.

Nah, it's not that bad. I get a 7 by his scoring. I was being self-deprecating. I'm actually pleased with that. It's progress from where I used to be when my kids were young and I was obese and playing on the floor with them and struggled to get up.

Way to go GBEA!
  • alyangel123
    alyangel123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can do this easy and I'm pretty sure I'm not as fit as some people here saying they can't do it. I couldn't run a marathon lol