"Do Carbs make me fat"

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    no, cause I've been loosing weight & I eat alot of carbs

Hi there Evamutt! If you don't mind, how many do you eat on average per day?

I know you didn't ask me, but your question had me curious. I have been consuming between 150-300g in carbs per day without issue.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I know you didn't ask me, but your question had me curious. I have been consuming between 150-300g in carbs per day without issue.

I don't count carbs or calories but probably about the same as you. I've been maintaining bmi 20 for quite some time.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I don't count carbs or calories but probably about the same as you. I've been maintaining bmi 20 for quite some time.

I'm still trying to lose. I dream of the day I can stop counting.
  • IAmSagittarian82
    IAmSagittarian82 Posts: 97 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

It's cool. I am soaking up all answers as this is really intriguing to me.
  • IAmSagittarian82
    IAmSagittarian82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am so glad this thread was created. I know everyone's body is different.

I was reading an article that says, "Two people can have identical body compositions and activity levels, yet due to individual metabolic variations, one may be able to eat twice as many carbs as the other and still lose fat."

Source: http://www.builtlean.com/2013/10/30/carbs-lose-weight/
  • jafrando
    jafrando Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No it does not if you eat it at the right time and in right amounts. They are great for pre and post workouts
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    jafrando wrote: »
    No it does not if you eat it at the right time and in right amounts. They are great for pre and post workouts

Carb timing is not relevant just like meal timing is not relevant for weight loss itself, but yes....carbs pre and post workout are good.

Also, the amount of carbs one eats does not affect weight loss unless it equals eating more calories than you burn.

Same here...sometimes more. Carbs satiate me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Carb timing is not relevant just like meal timing is not relevant for weight loss itself, but yes....carbs pre and post workout are good.

Also, the amount of carbs one eats does not affect weight loss unless it equals eating more calories than you burn.

I'll take this a step further and say that carbs are crucial to my satiety, especially starchy carbs. Without them my hunger is insatiable. I can go one day without carbs (without food, really) but any more than that is diet suicide.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options

If there is a goal to stimulate muscle protein synthesis, timing of nutrients can be important (not as important as total calories, macronutrient or micronutrients). Ideally, you would work to spread protein out throughout the day, and some PRO + CHO, withing a 2 hr window pre or post workout. This may work, especially if your goal is to build a little muscle while cutting fat. But, and this is huge, the actual results will depend on many factors, such as: training programming, size of a deficit, protein level, level of fitness, and genetics.

But general fat loss, you are definitely correct... timing is complete irrelevant.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am so glad this thread was created. I know everyone's body is different.

I was reading an article that says, "Two people can have identical body compositions and activity levels, yet due to individual metabolic variations, one may be able to eat twice as many carbs as the other and still lose fat."

Source: http://www.builtlean.com/2013/10/30/carbs-lose-weight/

Individuals may have additional variables. Women tend to have great instances of autoimmune issues (it's something like 9:1 - don't quote me on the exact number, it heard it in a lecture on POTS). Based on this, the macronutrient composition and other factors can largely influence metabolic rate and/or EE. For a majority, it will probably have no impact.

Side note, when you reduce carbs, you deplete glycogen stores. So when looking at weight loss trends, throw out the first few weeks and look at the following 4 weeks. That really how you know if it's working. I am moderate to high on my carbs, and I bet if I went Keto, I could easily lose 5 lbs in two weeks, while maintain calorie levels at 3k.
  • EDs3000
    EDs3000 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No. It does not.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    billglitch wrote: »
    in my opinion carbs do not stay with you and leave you hungry sooner. So you tend to want to eat....thats the problem

Is this with all carbs? From veggies to starches? Because fat doesn't fill me up, but starches are my BFF.

If you want to get technical, fats convert to body fat the easiest, followed by carbs and protein. But it's all driven by energy balance.

According to my therapist that's particularly the case with active people. He said my body is quickly running out of stores which is why I'd feel tired and shaky. I just can't wait for my body to normalise as weight lifting has become a struggle for me.

Are you an endurance athlete or running low carb? Because if you aren't, it's highly unlikely that your glycogen stores are depleted, especially considering a body can store 400-500g of glycogen. If you are struggling with workouts, I would first look at calories, body fat% levels/weight, and then mineral deficiencies.

The problem is running on a deficit for most of the past 3 years I think and running on pretty much low carb and low fat. My body fat was at 10%, I assume it's been adaptive thermogenesis.

Low body fat + low fat can lead to hormonal issues. Did you incorporate any refeeds or anything throughout the time

You're right - which the doctor is unsure if it's what happened (I was on a high carb low fat diet).
    The doctor also believes that it could be a chromosomal issue. I didn't have refeeds, but I ended up having binges which is when I sought out help.

My body just eventually stopped producing hormones - the endocrinologist believes it was over training and under eating. I at the time started the whole low carb (with moderate fat) and I think it's where it all started going wrong :neutral:

A chromosomal issue? As in, you have an abnormal number or deletions or duplications? That's pretty easy to diagnose, has a test been submitted?
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Carbs make me want to eat and eat and eat. Fat and protein not so much. Did carbs make me fat? No excess calories made me fat, but carbs didn't help matters any.
  • Mariiag1
    Mariiag1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    theirs alot of contreversy on the subject! But the answer is yes and no! depends on the carbs for example everything processed and in boxes is no good for weightloss.. Good carbs like sweet potatoe, brown rice, quinoa, and veggies are acceptable but also in moderation because our body uses carbs as energy source and when u eat too many carbs ur body doesnt burn it all off as energy so it starts storing it and turning it into fat! So the best times to eat carbs are breakfast and lunch so ur body will burn it off usually at dinner were less active.. What has worked great for me is i eat carbs 4 days a week and 3 days a week i dont and I lose weight fast!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    bellom54 wrote: »
    theirs alot of contreversy on the subject! But the answer is yes and no! depends on the carbs for example everything processed and in boxes is no good for weightloss.. Good carbs like sweet potatoe, brown rice, quinoa, and veggies are acceptable but also in moderation because our body uses carbs as energy source and when u eat too many carbs ur body doesnt burn it all off as energy so it starts storing it and turning it into fat! So the best times to eat carbs are breakfast and lunch so ur body will burn it off usually at dinner were less active.. What has worked great for me is i eat carbs 4 days a week and 3 days a week i dont and I lose weight fast!!

Give me an example of a processed Carb in a box that is bad for weight loss and why specifically it is bad for weight loss?

Timing of carb consumption, just like meal timing, is irrelevant for weight loss.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    theirs alot of contreversy on the subject! But the answer is yes and no! depends on the carbs for example everything processed and in boxes is no good for weightloss..
    Why?
    Good carbs like sweet potatoe, brown rice, quinoa, and veggies are acceptable but also in moderation because our body uses carbs as energy source and when u eat too many carbs ur body doesnt burn it all off as energy so it starts storing it and turning it into fat!
    Can you give an example where the body couldn't burn off the energy from too many carbs?
    So the best times to eat carbs are breakfast and lunch so ur body will burn it off usually at dinner were less active..
    What if I maintain an energy deficit? Will my body not burn off calories from carbs?
    What has worked great for me is i eat carbs 4 days a week and 3 days a week i dont and I lose weight fast!!
    CICO...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This is really over-simplified and some parts are just plain wrong.

You can still lose weight while eating foods that are processed or come in a box -- I, as well as many other people, have. Nothing about a processed food or a food in a box is inherently bad for you or for weight loss.

Our body does use carbohydrates as energy. It also uses fat and protein. If you're in a deficit (which is essential for weight loss), your body isn't going to store the carbohydrates as fat even if you eat "too many." It doesn't matter when you eat them. If you're in a deficit, your body will use the calories you ate for dinner or a midnight snack in addition to the calories you eat for breakfast.

Three carbohydrate-free days a week aren't necessary for weight loss. For many people, avoiding all fruits and vegetables (which you'd have to do in order to not eat carbohydrates) three days a week would be really unpleasant (and it could make it really hard to meet goals for fiber and certain vitamins).

Some people find it easier to maintain a calorie deficit when they limit carbohydrates because they eat fewer foods they have trouble moderating or they feel satisfied for longer. But limiting carbohydrates is completely optional for weight loss. I got about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates the entire time I was losing weight and did just fine. It was a mixture of foods like beans, grains (both whole and refined), vegetables, fruits, and even processed sugars. As long as you're logging the calories accurately, you can lose weight while eating those foods.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Instant noodle cups have been godsent for my weight loss when I have no time to prepare food. Portion and calorie controlled, and they satiate me - plus they're cheap (no wonder many college students are 60% ramen). My weight loss has been doing just fine. They come in a cup, not in a box, so I guess that makes them different?

Jesting aside, I know you are trying to help, and what you are saying is understandable given what the media tends to parrot, but after being on this website for a while and seeing all the real people who are making real progress with real practical knowledge you will come to realize that many of the things you've heard are likely not true, especially about a topic as trendy and headline-grabbing as carbs. Stick around, it wonderful how many things are unnecessary beyond personal preference.