"Do Carbs make me fat"

Options

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Elephants only eat carbs and they're pretty big, so I'd say yes.

I kid, I kid :)
  • IAmSagittarian82
    IAmSagittarian82 Posts: 97 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is always in debate. But yes, at least it's true with me and my Mom. We can't eat a lot of carbs without gaining weight easily, no matter the calories. I know for a fact that carbs matter in my case. I have tested it time and time again. To be fair, I gain and lose weight pretty easily.

Year 2010: went on a diet that was pretty much high protein, moderate fat, and low-ish carbs (60-90g a day) - lost 110 lbs in about a year and some months.Kept that off 3 yrs. This was a food delivery program. So I was just robotically eating whatever I ordered with no real education on *why*

Year 2013-2016: I re-gained some weight due to grief and messing up my metabolism from not eating.

August 2016: Decided to do something, but this time was watching pennies so didn't go back to food delivery. I became dedicated. I put together a diet based on the nutrients MFP recommended. I weighed and logged all foods. Was not eating over my calories, but my carb intake was something like 110g a day (mostly from complex carbs). I gained and stalled terribly from August to early November, which was weird.

November 14, 2016: Took a new approach. I went back to those same macros from the food delivery. I cut out wheat bread and re-examined my refined sugar content. Changed my diet BACK to high protein, moderate fat, and low carb (60-90g/day). I have lost right at 14 lbs in 3 weeks (mostly water in week 1, I'm sure).

Again, the way my body works might NOT be normal, but it's true. And I figured out, if I want to eat something high carb, I also need to eat adequate protein with it. I have been tested for diabetes, thyroid health, etc. and all was good. It's just the way my body metabolizes breads and other carbs. Not only do I gain fat but I bloat terribly with too many carbs.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    asgentr wrote: »
    If you are insulin resistant carbs make you fat. Look up Gary Taubes.

Incorrect...
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is always in debate. But yes, at least it's true with me and my Mom. We can't eat a lot of carbs without gaining weight easily, no matter the calories. I know for a fact that carbs matter in my case. I have tested it time and time again. To be fair, I gain and lose weight pretty easily.

Year 2010: went on a diet that was pretty much high protein, moderate fat, and low-ish carbs (60-90g a day) - lost 110 lbs in about a year and some months.Kept that off 3 yrs. This was a food delivery program. So I was just robotically eating whatever I ordered with no real education on *why*

Year 2013-2016: I re-gained some weight due to grief and messing up my metabolism from not eating.

August 2016: Decided to do something, but this time was watching pennies so didn't go back to food delivery. I became dedicated. I put together a diet based on the nutrients MFP recommended. I weighed and logged all foods. Was not eating over my calories, but my carb intake was something like 110g a day (mostly from complex carbs). I gained and stalled terribly from August to early November, which was weird.

November 14, 2016: Took a new approach. I went back to those same macros from the food delivery. I cut out wheat bread and re-examined my refined sugar content. Changed my diet BACK to high protein, moderate fat, and low carb (60-90g/day). I have lost right at 14 lbs in 3 weeks (mostly water in week 1, I'm sure).

Again, the way my body works might NOT be normal, but it's true. I have been tested for diabetes, thyroid health, etc. and all was good. It's just the way my body metabolizes breads and other carbs. Not only do I gain fat but I bloat terribly with too many carbs.

I'm someone who tends to overeat starchy and sugary carbs, so I feel you, but I don't think I metabolize them any differently than everyone else, and I'd be surprised if you did either. You mentioned water weight, and that's clearly established with carb vs low carb, but is it not also possible that this lower carb version of your diet is more satiating and you are actually eating fewer calories now?

PS: Congrats on rediscovering something that's working for you again, regardless of the reason.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    in my opinion carbs do not stay with you and leave you hungry sooner. So you tend to want to eat....thats the problem

I've made similar statements here and been corrected. Based on my personal experiences, the relationship between quickly digested carbs (sugary being the prime example, but also low fibre starchy) and lack of lasting satiety are undeniable. It's hard for me to understand why other people's experiences could be so different.

Does anyone want to offer up a theory on WHY our experiences are so different?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jlemoore wrote: »
    I would love to find out we're it came from "Carbs make you fat"

Check out Food Matters on Netflix.

Most food "documentaries" are highly biased crackpot propaganda pieces which use lots of junk science and selective cherry-picking of portions of studies to fit whatever their agenda happens to be. You may as well just watch Dr. Oz, the information is just as (un)reliable.
  • IAmSagittarian82
    Options

I'm someone who tends to overeat starchy and sugary carbs, so I feel you, but I don't think I metabolize them any differently than everyone else, and I'd be surprised if you did either. You mentioned water weight, and that's clearly established with carb vs low carb, but is it not also possible that this lower carb version of your diet is more satiating and you are actually eating fewer calories now?

PS: Congrats on rediscovering something that's working for you again, regardless of the reason.

I feels liberating. Thanks! I might not be articulating what I mean when I say I metabolize differently. I just mean that...if I get over 100g of carbs a day on any diet, I stall or even gain.

Here is what I mean:

My diet when I stalled: 1200 calories. I was eating stuff that was healthy but would be too dense in carbs for me. Some wheat breads, oatmeal, and certain fruits like a large apple (23g of sugar). I was eating all this and still would not be over 1200 calories.

My new diet: 1200 calories. Per meal, I take in more protein than carbs. In other words, baked chicken breast and a salad rather than eating turkey on wheat bread.

I don't disagree with CICO. I definitely follow my meal plan and stay at 1200 cals as recommended. I just make sure the majority of it is not from carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    For me? Yeah. Carbs make me fat.

When carbs go up, my fat intake goes down and my hunger goes up. I am hungrier when I eat more carbs.

I'm also more fatigued when I eat more carbs and experience large blood glucose swings (reactive hypoglycemia) which also drives my appetite.

I can't ignore hunger and cravings that are present so much when I eat higher carbs. I can't really ignore the shakes and cold sweats from plummeting BG every 2 hours after I ate. I ate more for those reasons. I gained weight.

Plus I gained about 20lbs in the year after I became insulin resistant (most likely due to steroids to treat autoimmune issues). I was not aware that I was eating 200 kcal more per day but I must have. Nothing else in my life changed but my higher levels of insulin. I ate moderate to high carb so I'm guessing my insulin was pretty high. Did it help me store fat more effectively? Make me hungrier and eat more? Coincidence? Who knows. I'll never eat that way again so I can't test it.

If I eat very few carbs, I am less hungry, more energetic, and healthier. All of that leads to weight loss. I also seem to have the CO of CICO slightly raised when I avoid many carbs, and drop when I eat a lot of carbs.

Carbs lead to weight gain for me. YMMV.

I would have to ask tho how many calories are you taking in? When you compare a low carb diet to a high carbs diet and both have the same amount of calories matched then there shouldn't be a difference.

When I was losing 2-3 lbs per week (from about 190-155lbs) I was eating a 1500kcal average. To lose 2-3lbs per week I would need a 1000-1500kcal deficit which means my maintenance would be 2500-3000kcal per day (sedentary middle aged woman here).

My carbs have been creeping up to 50g per day. Sometimes over. I gained some weight on that eating around 2500 kcal per day. I dropped carbs back down and started losing again.

I just lose faster with low carbs. It's a combination of insulin resistance, autoimmune issues, and lowered appetite. It isn't a huge difference but it works out to a few pounds extra gone.

One may not expect a difference, but for me there is one.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    in my opinion carbs do not stay with you and leave you hungry sooner. So you tend to want to eat....thats the problem

I've made similar statements here and been corrected. Based on my personal experiences, the relationship between quickly digested carbs (sugary being the prime example, but also low fibre starchy) and lack of lasting satiety are undeniable. It's hard for me to understand why other people's experiences could be so different.

From what I understand, preliminary research has suggested there's a genetic component at play here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I would say that the vast majority of people do not find quickly digested carbs satiating. I eat a fairly high carbohydrate diet as I eat vegetarian a few days per week...complex carbohydrates keep me satiated...things like legumes, lentils, oats, potatoes, etc...these things all contain quite a bit of fiber and other nutrients.
  • IAmSagittarian82
    Options

When I was losing 2-3 lbs per week (from about 190-155lbs) I was eating a 1500kcal average. To lose 2-3lbs per week I would need a 1000-1500kcal deficit which means my maintenance would be 2500-3000kcal per day (sedentary middle aged woman here).

My carbs have been creeping up to 50g per day. Sometimes over. I gained some weight on that eating around 2500 kcal per day. I dropped carbs back down and started losing again.

I just lose faster with low carbs. It's a combination of insulin resistance, autoimmune issues, and lowered appetite. It isn't a huge difference but it works out to a few pounds extra gone.

I am in the same boat. Now that I have tweaked my diet by lowering my carbs...I am losing a steady 2 lbs a week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Potatoes don't have much fiber (2 g for 100 g, raw, flesh and skin), and yet I find them more satiating than a whole grain bread (I really don't find any bread filling on its own, although as part of a meal with protein and veg it's fine). So for me, although I think fiber is generally a positive (and is probably why I find legumes so filling), there's more to it. Similarly, I am with those who find fried potatoes (despite the extra fat) not satiating particularly. There definitely seems to be a natural difference between those who find fat helps with satiety and those who find it does not. (That said, whether I tend to overeat foods is less about satiety and more about whether I am hedonically eating. I actually think that has more to do with why people tend to overeat sweets than how filling they are -- of course they aren't generally filling, but that happens even after a filling meal, as one sees when people were too "stuffed" to finish dinner but still manage dessert.)

For me, a huge variety of breakfasts (for example) will keep me satisfied until I late lunch. I am more likely to want to eat sooner (although I can always hold out) with a meal based on quick carbs OR a meal that is heavily fat, and in both cases low fiber. On the other hand, I see to be fine with high carbs if they are from fruit and veg or oats (or probably potatoes).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I am in the same boat. Now that I have tweaked my diet by lowering my carbs...I am losing a steady 2 lbs a week.

Do you have IR or PCOS?

And out of curiosity, when you said you would gain or maintain at 1200 calories when carbs were over 100g, how long where you tracking the trends and did you change any other variables when you switched your carb levels?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Excellent. :)
  • IAmSagittarian82
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Do you have IR or PCOS?

And out of curiosity, when you said you would gain or maintain at 1200 calories when carbs were over 100g, how long where you tracking the trends and did you change any other variables when you switched your carb levels?

I went to 2 doctors thinking I was IR, had thyroid/hormonal problems, or allergic to something (bloated). After hours of poking and prodding and several tests, I never got diagnosed with anything. The last doc told me to lower my carbs after we went over my diet this summer. I didn't actually lower my carbs until a couple wks ago though and it's been downhill (in a good way) ever since.

I have been trying different approaches (about 2 mths each time) since January this year. I did play with different calorie levels just in case MFP had it wrong. I can eat as many as 1400-ish cal a day and still lose. I just couldn't do it if my carbs were over 100g a day.

I had just assumed that I had a carb overage and my body was converting the extra into glucose and so on...eventually turning into fat. And breads will stall me every single time. I don't like bread a whole lot, so I just cut it out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Do you have IR or PCOS?

I went to 2 doctors thinking I was IR, had thyroid/hormonal problems, or allergic to something (bloated). After hours of poking and prodding and several tests, I never got diagnosed with anything. The last doc told me to lower my carbs after we went over my diet this summer. I didn't actually lower my carbs until a couple wks ago though and it's been downhill (in a good way) ever since.

I have been trying different approaches (about 2 mths each time) since January this year. I did play with different calorie levels just in case MFP had it wrong. I can eat as many as 1400-ish cal a day and still lose. I just couldn't do it if my carbs were over 100g a day.

I had just assumed that I had a carb overage and my body was converting the extra into glucose and so on...eventually turning into fat. And breads will stall me every single time. I don't like bread a whole lot, so I just cut it out.

I can definitely understand the frustrations. It took my wife quite some time to figure out all her medical conditions and still working on the diet aspect.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    no, cause I've been loosing weight & I eat alot of carbs
  • IAmSagittarian82
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    no, cause I've been loosing weight & I eat alot of carbs

Hi there Evamutt! If you don't mind, how many do you eat on average per day?