"Do Carbs make me fat"

Options

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    in my opinion carbs do not stay with you and leave you hungry sooner. So you tend to want to eat....thats the problem
  • billglitch
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    billglitch wrote: »
    in my opinion carbs do not stay with you and leave you hungry sooner. So you tend to want to eat....thats the problem

That's individual to you. Carbs help me feel full.

thats why i said "in my opinion"
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Thats the same thing a friend said...and it'd make sense with the fibre, wouldn't it?
  • billglitch
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

No, YOU tend to want to eat. Satiety is largely an individual factor, and is not consistent from person to person. Blanket statements/assumptions like this are rarely helpful to these sorts of discussions...

thats why i said in my opinion
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    in my opinion carbs do not stay with you and leave you hungry sooner. So you I tend to want to eat....thats the problem

Ok, then the rest of the sentence needs to be amended as well. No problem, FIFY.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options

Is this with all carbs? From veggies to starches? Because fat doesn't fill me up, but starches are my BFF.

If you want to get technical, fats convert to body fat the easiest, followed by carbs and protein. But it's all driven by energy balance.
  • andyluvv
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Is this with all carbs? From veggies to starches? Because fat doesn't fill me up, but starches are my BFF.

If you want to get technical, fats convert to body fat the easiest, followed by carbs and protein. But it's all driven by energy balance.

According to my therapist that's particularly the case with active people. He said my body is quickly running out of stores which is why I'd feel tired and shaky. I just can't wait for my body to normalise as weight lifting has become a struggle for me.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »

According to my therapist that's particularly the case with active people. He said my body is quickly running out of stores which is why I'd feel tired and shaky. I just can't wait for my body to normalise as weight lifting has become a struggle for me.

Are you an endurance athlete or running low carb? Because if you aren't, it's highly unlikely that your glycogen stores are depleted, especially considering a body can store 400-500g of glycogen. If you are struggling with workouts, I would first look at calories, body fat% levels/weight, and then mineral deficiencies.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm the opposite, carb heavy meals make me feel fuller longer.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

You said that in your opinion, carbs leave me/us hungry.

If you'd said
    in my experience carbs do not stay with me and leave me hungry sooner. So I tend to want to eat....
    that would be more accurate.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    They don't if you don't exceed your calories, unless you do this:

60299-2.jpg?1478605139
  • andyluvv
    edited December 2016
    Options

Are you an endurance athlete or running low carb? Because if you aren't, it's highly unlikely that your glycogen stores are depleted, especially considering a body can store 400-500g of glycogen. If you are struggling with workouts, I would first look at calories, body fat% levels/weight, and then mineral deficiencies.

The problem is running on a deficit for most of the past 3 years I think and running on pretty much low carb and low fat. My body fat was at 10%, I assume it's been adaptive thermogenesis.

I should also add - my issue was mostly identified as orthorexia and I've got hormone issues. I'm on Testosterone Replacement Therapy.
  • psuLemon
    Options

The problem is running on a deficit for most of the past 3 years I think and running on pretty much low carb and low fat. My body fat was at 10%, I assume it's been adaptive thermogenesis.

Low body fat + low fat can lead to hormonal issues. Did you incorporate any refeeds or anything throughout the time
  • andyluvv
    Options

Low body fat + low fat can lead to hormonal issues. Did you incorporate any refeeds or anything throughout the time

You're right - which the doctor is unsure if it's what happened (I was on a high carb low fat diet).
    The doctor also believes that it could be a chromosomal issue. I didn't have refeeds, but I ended up having binges which is when I sought out help.

My body just eventually stopped producing hormones - the endocrinologist believes it was over training and under eating. I at the time started the whole low carb (with moderate fat) and I think it's where it all started going wrong :neutral:
  • psuLemon
    Options

You're right - which the doctor is unsure if it's what happened (I was on a high carb low fat diet).
    The doctor also believes that it could be a chromosomal issue. I didn't have refeeds, but I ended up having binges which is when I sought out help.

My body just eventually stopped producing hormones - the endocrinologist believes it was over training and under eating. I at the time started the whole low carb (with moderate fat) and I think it's where it all started going wrong :neutral:

Unfortunately, it seems you incorporated several extremes causing a lot of hormonal issues. Good luck on fixing it.