Is it okay to eat after 6pm

Options
Will i gain weight by eating before bed?

Replies

• rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    They say because you sleep soon.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    No. No. And no.

Just ate a Twix Ice Cream bar. And 3 brownies. And it's 11:22 pm. I will be drinking a carb loaded shake at 1 am. Then plan to go to bed 5 minutes after.

As far as my anecdotal experience, I do this almost daily. Last weigh in I lost .5 lbs and dropped body fat.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    120 lbs lost and I've eaten right before bed plenty. Your body doesn't have a clock and digestion doesn't change when you're asleep. If you want to eat after 6pm eat after 6pm. To gain weight you have to be in a calorie surplus. The clock had nothing to do with that.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That's an old dieting myth. It doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you stay within your calorie goal. It's just personal preference for some people to time their meals like that. I eat late at night all the time and I've been maintaining at my goal weight for over 5 years. Don't even worry about it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Only if puts you in a surplus on average.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This "myth" has to do with late night eating after already consuming the food you needed during the day. In other words if you already ate the calories you burned and then you eat more you will gain weight. This surplus typically takes place at the end of the day for fairly obvious reasons. If you are tracking what you eat and didn't eat all your calories yet when it is late then you can still eat them. The key is only to not go over. That's all. I personally prefer to save a lot of calories for nighttime. When I am busy it's easy not to eat. But when it quiets down at the end of the day I want food. I also like to sleep with a full tummy. Lost all my weight doing that.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes to the title.

No to the question.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't matter, I eat 90% of mine between 9-2 am! If you want more, there is a thread asking this pretty much every single day lol. Search it and you will find all the answers and personal stories and examples from members :).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Extremely rarely would I ever have dinner before 6pm - and often not till 8 or later.

has not stopped me reaching my weight loss goal.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat dairy free ice cream every single night ( I'm lactose intolerant). In bed. I'm still losing steadily. It's all about staying in a deficit, not what time you eat.

That said, there are lots of people on here who like intermittent fasting and find it helpful for their nutrition goals. This is what you are basically describing. I've done it but don't love it. I'd rather eat what I want when I want within my calorie limits.

You figure out what works for you and then do that. You have to decide if it's something you can live with for life because losing weight and keeping it off has to be a lifestyle change to stick. Good luck!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Who's they? :huh:

Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    This is a myth based on a myth.
    It is a myth that you will gain weight from eating before bed because it is also a myth that your metabolism slows down while you sleep.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/frequency is a preference thing. Eat however works best with your lifestyle/schedule and just make sure you're hitting your calorie targets.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The only time you shouldn't eat after 6pm is if you've already hoovered your calorie allotment for the day by then.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter one bit.