Is it okay to eat after 6pm

Options

Replies

• _BrewingAZ_
    _BrewingAZ_ Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If it were my recommendation, I wouldn't eat anything past 5:59PM.
  • tommytorpedo
    tommytorpedo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What shift do you work and what time do you sleep? Are you a night owl, or an early riser? It's hard to digest while you are sleeping. IMEHO, don't eat for at least two hours before bed.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    The only time you shouldn't eat after 6pm is if you've already hoovered your calorie allotment for the day by then.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter one bit.

"Hoover" as a verb is now being downloaded into my repository of vocabulistics.
  • tommytorpedo
    Options
    What shift do you work and what time do you sleep? Are you a night owl, or an early riser? It's hard to digest while you are sleeping. IMEHO, don't eat for at least two hours before bed.

This is not true.

OK. I'm not a Nutritionist or Medical Doctor, but from my experience as a diabetic, if I eat after 6pm my blood sugar is way higher in the am. Chef Barbell; I'm sure you are smarter than me, but I'd like to see your evidence. I'm innocent until proven guilty so the burden of proof is on you.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    The only time you shouldn't eat after 6pm is if you've already hoovered your calorie allotment for the day by then.

Used in a sentence... "Did you see Carlos Hoover that package of Oreos?"
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Used in a sentence... "Did you see Carlos Hoover that package of Oreos?"

"Nope. It happened too fast!"
  • tommytorpedo
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

This is not true.

OK. I'm not a Nutritionist or Medical Doctor, but from my experience as a diabetic, if I eat after 6pm my blood sugar is way higher in the am. Chef Barbell; I'm sure you are smarter than me, but I'd like to see your evidence. I'm innocent until proven guilty so the burden of proof is on you.

That would indicate that your body did, in fact, digest your food well.

That makes sense. and turned the food into pure sugar.
  • tommytorpedo
    Options
    Okay fine, you all win. eat whenever you want. I'm just saying, from experience. I worked the night shift for years. Eating after work and going directly to bed after eating. I went from 200 to 300 pounds. Since retiring I keep "normal hours" and am down to 250 and have my blood sugar in control. I know this thread isn't about losing weight or diabetes, but about digestion. It's not about a sense of humor either, but at least I have one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't call eating before 6 "normal hours." Most people have dinner, and for me it would mean no dinner.

I lost fine eating before 6 (mostly) Hawaii time, though. (Of course I live in Central.)
  • tommytorpedo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OMG! Let's pick on the old guy. Trump will make you all be "normal". "sarcasm"
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What about everyone with a normal work hours job? Think about it. Is everyone you see with a job fat? No. People with these ridiculous rules have too much time on their hands.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Okay fine, you all win. eat whenever you want. I'm just saying, from experience. I worked the night shift for years. Eating after work and going directly to bed after eating. I went from 200 to 300 pounds. Since retiring I keep "normal hours" and am down to 250 and have my blood sugar in control. I know this thread isn't about losing weight or diabetes, but about digestion. It's not about a sense of humor either, but at least I have one.

I've worked nights. It adds a few elements to the equation. There's going against the bodies natural sleep and wake patterns. Added stress from doing this as well as (depending on what the job was) job related stress can mess with the hormones. Plus you are diabetic, which makes your body more sensitive the meal timing and food sources. While I'm not questioning your experience, I am saying there are confounding variables in there. None of these were mentioned by OP, so your experience is less relevant for her situation. Congratulations on your losses.