Eating Bacon...good or bad on a diet

I am really having a hard time finding anything I like for breakfast so I have been eating eggs and bacon. Can I expect to loose weight with eating bacon or is the fat content in bacon such that I won't lose any fat from my body.
Thanks in advance...this is a great forum.
Bob

Replies

• glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    I love the party line that others have written but the truth is that it is very difficult to know precisely how much fat is in bacon. Personally I love it and eat bacon often but I now go for leaner bacon and I cut off obvious fat. Eating fat is fine if you can count it but it can be difficult. Fried eggs are great too but I love poached so why have fried
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    As everyone has said, calories matter most.

As a lower calorie suggestion, try turkey bacon.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    did you really expect people to say bacon is good diet food :D ? lol. Eat it just log it :p
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Neutral, makes no difference. I don't find bacon and eggs alone filling, but if you do, eat it and enjoy.

Total calories are what matter for weight loss.

Other things matter for health and I personally find it easier if I have some vegetables at breakfast too, but you can also meet nutritional goals if that's a concern for you with a bacon and egg breakfast, as total day is what matters.

Calories in bacon vary a lot depending on what kind you get, but for a slice or two it can be quite reasonable, I believe.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I think eggs and bacon makes for a great breakfast! A breakfast like that will keep me full and satisfied well into my day, allowing me to eat fewer calories later on. If I eat a "healthy" breakfast (say, a high fiber cereal and skim milk with fruit) I'm starving by 10 am and will have to snack to make it until lunch. With bacon and eggs even lunch is optional. So yeah... bacon and eggs for the win!

And bear in mind that a good portion of the fat in pork products is the monounsaturated variety that is the darling of the nutrition science world. I don't understand why bacon ever got a bad wrap... The sodium is quite high I suppose, but so long as you aren't eating processed meats and other heavily salted foods the rest of the day (and don't have a medical condition where sodium is restricted), it doesn't much matter.

Enjoy your breakfast.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Why are you "on a diet"?
    A diet is temporary.
    Once you stop "dieting", you'll go back to how you used to eat & that's what got you into the shape you're in that you don't like which led you to want to eat less, right?
    So make changes you can sustain, things that are realistic long-term.
    If you don't want to give up bacon, don't. If you do, you'll be miserable.
    If you're concerned that you're getting too much fat, can you cut back from every day to 4x a week?
    Or how about a lower-fat option, as others have pointed out? Or fewer strips per day?
    Or microwave it in paper towels to absorb the fat, or bake it on a wire rack in the oven, so the fat drips off?
    Find the balance of calories in & out that works to get you the results that you want, whether it's gaining, sustaining, or losing weight.
    The easiest way to affect that is by controlling what you eat, because exercise doesn't burn as much as most people think. "You can't out-exercise a bad diet" is true for most people who aren't Olympic competitors or similar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Why are you "on a diet"?
    A diet is temporary.
    Once you stop "dieting", you'll go back to how you used to eat & that's what got you into the shape you're in that you don't like which led you to want to eat less, right?

A diet (other than it meaning "way of eating" so we all have a diet) means eating at a calorie deficit. Presumably OP is eating at a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. When one stops dieting one stops eating at a calorie deficit, but that does NOT mean that one eats how one ate when gaining weight or at a calorie surplus.

It's simply not true that not calling it a diet means that you will have more success than if you do.

I do agree that if you want to include bacon in your diet (when losing weight and when maintaining) there is no reason to cut it out while losing weight.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    As long as your blood pressure isn't sodium sensitive, you don't have ethical qualms about eating cute little porkers, your religion doesn't forbid it, the calories fit into your daily budget, and you're not particularly concerned about the increased cancer risks associated with eating cured meats (nitrosamines), go for it.

I'm partial to a bacon, pepper jack cheese, avocado, tomato and onion omelet from time to time. I don't eat bacon every day and my blood pressure is under control, so I don't worry about the health risks associated with cured meats. Ditto with the occasional sausage. Everything in moderation is how I see it.