And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate

Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off

In all seriousness, many of you have experienced some hate when you started your journey. This is an amazing article which was posted in my strength training group. I figured I'd post it here as a little reminder to keep doing you and don't let the negativity get to you

https://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/action-offends-the-inactive

Replies

• leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    my main source of negativity is actually from both of my parents, I rarely talk about gym or food with them as I'm living 700miles away. Their source of negativity is either telling me I'm not doing enough and need to lose weight faster, I'm doing too much or I'm not doing something right.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    my main source of negativity is actually from both of my parents, I rarely talk about gym or food with them as I'm living 700miles away. Their source of negativity is either telling me I'm not doing enough and need to lose weight faster, I'm doing too much or I'm not doing something right.

Sounds like and issue with your parents then. My mom is like that. Nothing was ever good enough. I learned to do my own thing. It can certainly be difficult. Letting it go and accepting that I was doing my own thing for myself was the best moment. Best of luck to you.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    I've read about this but I've never ever experienced it. To a man everyone has been positive and encouraging. I think I've even inspired some people to make positive changes themselves. Maybe because I keep my circle small? Maybe because I don't give a kitten what most people think. Maybe because I don't expect other people to change in order to accomodate my needs.

I believe others when they say it happens to them. I'm just glad I seem to be immune.
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    I love this. I've experienced the exact situation before, the first time I started to lose weight, and now at least once per week for being vegan. I interpret that very much the same way - I've always wondered if they're giving me grief simply because I'm bettering myself, the environment, and the lives of animals, and they're not. Or maybe it's because my vegan diet requires a high degree of self-discipline - something maybe they're lacking themselves? "A little bacon every now and then won't kill you," they say... I usually follow with some sort of snarky comment, such as "I really appreciate your unsolicited advice, thanks!"
  • leooftheyear
    kzooyogi wrote: »
    I love this. I've experienced the exact situation before, the first time I started to lose weight, and now at least once per week for being vegan. I interpret that very much the same way - I've always wondered if they're giving me grief simply because I'm bettering myself, the environment, and the lives of animals, and they're not. Or maybe it's because my vegan diet requires a high degree of self-discipline - something maybe they're lacking themselves? "A little bacon every now and then won't kill you," they say... I usually follow with some sort of snarky comment, such as "I really appreciate your unsolicited advice, thanks!"

I felt that the 'negativity' I got from my parents was from their lack of self control. I was talking to my mom about me going to get brunch with my dad and aunt and she was all concerned that 'i'll eat unhealthy' and I said 'they order crap and I order eggs, toast and fruit and it doesn't both me' she was like 'but you know you want pancakes' actually no because Denny's pancakes are good for hangover food but that's about it XD

Even to the point where whenever I hurt myself, I'm super graceful XD, my mom said 'well if you hurt yourself you must be doing something wrong' and shes always super negative about me lifting, and I hardly every bring it up to her because of that. my most recent injury was my ankle, I rolled it after I had a little too much wine at girls night, and my response to her was 'yes, I had too much wine and tripped on the sidewalk XD'
  • leooftheyear
    Have vegan family and friends, the ones who don't talk about their diet get zero flack.

I've mentioned about 20 times or more in posts that I don't eat meat and not one single person has given me any negativity/shade on these forums.

Maybe think about what you might be saying to elicit shade? Idk

Problem is I have avoided the topic, almost all together, with my parents, because I get negativity, so its definitely not that. They bring it up on their own, like when I was home for thanksgiving I had tape on my ankle, because I twisted it, and out of nowhere, without being provoked my mom goes 'if you keep injuring yourself you must be doing something wrong'. I had not brought up strength training, diet or anything because I had just woken up.
  • leooftheyear
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I think if you are getting "hate" from enacting a new routine, it may be worth asking yourself how much you are talking about it. I don't generally share what I'm doing, people rarely ask. It's the overly excited, must tell everyone every little detail that seems to get the "hate" because they are annoyingly single point focused. Hate is in quotes, because the word is (IMO) strong and overused.

You don't always have to talk about your changes for people to notice. I used to get weird comments from my coworkers when they would see my "way too healthy" lunches. I didn't tell them I was dieting or lifting weights. They would just feel bad about themselves because they would see me eating fruit and veggies while they ate cake for lunch.

So comments = hate? I don't get that at all. When I was down 45lbs, it's obvious to those around me. They would make comments, but it was more about talking about what they were doing to try to lose weight. Your assumptions about their motives sounds really judgmental (I read a similar comment from you in another thread). I'm sorry you feel the need to put others down so much.

Not saying comments = hate, but negative comments (e.g. 'you must be doing something wrong') do equal 'hate'. at least in my book. especially when the comments are completely unprovoked and I did not bring up weight, strength training, or anything related.
  • leooftheyear

Don't get "hate" and parental concern mixed up. Parents seem to always "correct" their child no matter the age. My mom still says something about my dryer lint when she visits and I'm 50

well if its that then their parental concern only comes up when related to the gym, diet, etc and it's always negative (e.g. I ended up in tears on thanksgiving)
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    I don't understand all the posts I see about "hate" comments for losing weight or making lifestyle changes. Maybe I've just been incredibly fortunate in my family, friends, classmates, and workers, but people my life either have said nothing (most) or have made encouraging comments (few).
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Have vegan family and friends, the ones who don't talk about their diet get zero flack.

I've mentioned about 20 times or more in posts that I don't eat meat and not one single person has given me any negativity/shade on these forums.

Maybe think about what you might be saying to elicit shade? Idk

Problem is I have avoided the topic, almost all together, with my parents, because I get negativity, so its definitely not that. They bring it up on their own, like when I was home for thanksgiving I had tape on my ankle, because I twisted it, and out of nowhere, without being provoked my mom goes 'if you keep injuring yourself you must be doing something wrong'. I had not brought up strength training, diet or anything because I had just woken up.

lol. Yeah but parents get a pass because they are always concerned:) My poor kids:).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I think if you are getting "hate" from enacting a new routine, it may be worth asking yourself how much you are talking about it. I don't generally share what I'm doing, people rarely ask. It's the overly excited, must tell everyone every little detail that seems to get the "hate" because they are annoyingly single point focused. Hate is in quotes, because the word is (IMO) strong and overused.

You don't always have to talk about your changes for people to notice. I used to get weird comments from my coworkers when they would see my "way too healthy" lunches. I didn't tell them I was dieting or lifting weights. They would just feel bad about themselves because they would see me eating fruit and veggies while they ate cake for lunch.

So comments = hate? I don't get that at all. When I was down 45lbs, it's obvious to those around me. They would make comments, but it was more about talking about what they were doing to try to lose weight. Your assumptions about their motives sounds really judgmental (I read a similar comment from you in another thread). I'm sorry you feel the need to put others down so much.

Not saying comments = hate, but negative comments (e.g. 'you must be doing something wrong') do equal 'hate'. at least in my book. especially when the comments are completely unprovoked and I did not bring up weight, strength training, or anything related.

I wouldn't call it hate. It could be lack of knowledge. Relationships with parents can be challenging. I'm sorry that your parents feel the need to make these comments. Like I said previously, letting go of those things (with my mother) was the best thing I ever did.