High-Protein Hot Breakfast Ideas?

Options
With it being below freezing every morning I've completely lost interest in my usual Greek yogurt with PB and berries. I have plenty of time to cook, but what?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I had to google frittata. It's quiche without the crust! I love quiche, but hate making pie crusts. On the list. I do like omelettes, but I've never made them myself. I have two eggs, leftover spam, cheese, and salsa. I think I have a project for tomorrow. There is always bacon in the freezer.
  • gatzke123
    gatzke123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ditch the spam
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Sausages.
  • jennybearlv
    Options
    gatzke123 wrote: »
    Ditch the spam
    It's an acquired taste
    cityruss wrote: »
    Sausages.
    Mmm. Almost as good as bacon.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @jennybearlv love Spam! Have fun experimenting with different combos!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've started eating oatmeal again, and love it!
    I make it with Fairlife brand milk, which has been filtered and has a higher protein content. I add some protein powder to round it out for protein, frozen blueberries, and chia seeds, sometimes a handful of nuts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do a vegetable omelet with 2 eggs, greens plus another vegetable (broccoli, zucchini, whatever), maybe mushrooms, maybe a bit of feta, and then some other source of protein on the side -- either smoked salmon or low fat cottage cheese, mainly. Sometimes I add the salmon to the omelet.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    love frittata

i make one that has a combo of eggs and egg whites to up the protein and then its basically spinach, feta cheese, onions/peppers and whatever kind of meat i have in the house - yummy
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Proats (whey & oats)
  • CorneliusPhoton
    Options
    Frittatas are also great because you can get several breakfasts out of them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Protein oats
    Any kind of egg dish : frittatas, crustless quiche, omelettes, breakfast burritos/sandwiches etc

I'm kinda in the same boat as you though and haven't been in the mood for proats (those artificial sweeteners have been a big turn off lately) or eggs lately though so it's been a problem!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Protein oats
    Any kind of egg dish : frittatas, crustless quiche, omelettes, breakfast burritos/sandwiches etc

I'm kinda in the same boat as you though and haven't been in the mood for proats (those artificial sweeteners have been a big turn off lately) or eggs lately though so it's been a problem!

I have been using this rice protein powder for my oats because it does not have that awful sweet flavor that comes with most of the whey products I've tried. It's not good for shakes because it is gritty, but it disappears perfectly in oatmeal and IMO adds very little flavor.

I use whey powder for my post-workout shake. I just try to ignore the funky sweetener taste, but it dissolves well. Still looking for something better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Protein oats

I have been using this rice protein powder for my oats because it does not have that awful sweet flavor that comes with most of the whey products I've tried. It's not good for shakes because it is gritty, but it disappears perfectly in oatmeal and IMO adds very little flavor.

I use whey powder for my post-workout shake. I just try to ignore the funky sweetener taste, but it dissolves well. Still looking for something better.

The Biochem whey non flavored one tastes completely neutral to me.

I haven't found a vegan one that dissolves well enough to use for oatmeal (haven't tried rice protein, though).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well Quest powder is awesome in oatmeal, and that way I can avoid another sweetener, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for that taste. I seriously have issues with most artificial sweeteners, it sucks!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    EVOL makes a delicious 150 calorie egg Sammie on flatbread with kale and goat cheese schmear. Get them at Target. Goes great with a quest cookies & cream shake made with 2% milk. Sweet, savory & good protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Savory oatmeal.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Kodiak cakes! Protein pancake mix, I see it at my Target and Ralph's, so it's around. You can make it with water, or with eggs and milk and so on to bulk it up.
  • jennybearlv
    Options
    I made the aforementioned omelet and it was good, like pared down huevos rancheros with spam, so weird, but satisfying.
    Proats (whey & oats)
    I've heard of proats, but thought they were protein powder and oats and was a little skeptical. Whey and oats sounds better. Where do you buy whey these days? I do see the protein powder and oats getting love so I will have to give it a shot if I can't find whey.
    Kodiak cakes! Protein pancake mix, I see it at my Target and Ralph's, so it's around. You can make it with water, or with eggs and milk and so on to bulk it up.
    I adore pancakes but think of them as a treat since they lean so carb heavy. I am way to cheap to buy fancy pancake mix though. Can I just throw some protein powder in homemade pancake mix or do you think it would screw up the texture?