High-Protein Hot Breakfast Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheChesireCat
    TheChesireCat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Egg and fish

Egg wrap (although this one is also high carb)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Kodiak cakes! Protein pancake mix, I see it at my Target and Ralph's, so it's around. You can make it with water, or with eggs and milk and so on to bulk it up.

Oh yeah I like those too. I use the protein mix with savory toppings for more protein usually (ham, cheese and egg typically) and it's really tasty. I like the pancakes better with water only for some reason though.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I like to treat myself to a microwave mug-cupcake made with egg, preferably milled seeds instead of flour, and then chocolate, nuts or whatever else I fancy, 1-2 minutes in the microwave, then topped with Greek yoghurt to cool it enough to eat. I ate it a lot when I had Gestational Diabetes and had a moderate carb diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I made the aforementioned omelet and it was good, like pared down huevos rancheros with spam, so weird, but satisfying.
    Proats (whey & oats)
    I've heard of proats, but thought they were protein powder and oats and was a little skeptical. Whey and oats sounds better. Where do you buy whey these days? I do see the protein powder and oats getting love so I will have to give it a shot if I can't find whey.

I assumed he meant protein powder, as many of them (and the most popular kind) are whey. (For example, the natural flavored Biochem I mentioned above is organic whey protein concentrate plus organic soy lecithin (the latter prevents clumping, I think, and would be a small amount).)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    gatzke123 wrote: »
    Ditch the spam
    Lol, why? Spam, eggs and rice and a staple in lots of Asian families who don't suffer from being overweight and having high obesity levels.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    For protein pancakes, you don't necessarily have to buy a mix. I bookmarked this recipe years ago: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/991227/ultimate-protein-pancakes-omg/p1

I haven't tried it yet in all that time, but hey, it LOOKS good! ;)

ETA: Pasting from the above linked thread:

Makes 6 large pancakes. Nutritional information:

Calories: 314 | Carbs: 34g | Fat: 1g | Protein: 43g (!!!)
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    did see much bacon here...BACON!!!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Bacon and Eggs! I usually also add a piece of toast or a serving of hasbrowns/tater tots.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sweet potato with an easy egg baked in? I love this -- you can bake a whole batch of potatoes at the weekend, then during the week just cut one open, crack an egg in, and put it under the broiler for ~5 minutes. Fancy it up with cheese/hot sauce/onions/ham or just eat it as it is.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I made the aforementioned omelet and it was good, like pared down huevos rancheros with spam, so weird, but satisfying.
    Proats (whey & oats)
    I've heard of proats, but thought they were protein powder and oats and was a little skeptical. Whey and oats sounds better. Where do you buy whey these days? I do see the protein powder and oats getting love so I will have to give it a shot if I can't find whey.

I assumed he meant protein powder, as many of them (and the most popular kind) are whey. (For example, the natural flavored Biochem I mentioned above is organic whey protein concentrate plus organic soy lecithin (the latter prevents clumping, I think, and would be a small amount).)
    That makes sense. I usually buy the unflavored whey powder. I'll have to get more this week and experiment.
    For protein pancakes, you don't necessarily have to buy a mix. I bookmarked this recipe years ago: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/991227/ultimate-protein-pancakes-omg/p1

OMG! Yes! I will have to try this. I had not thought of adding Greek yogurt. I still have a huge tub in the fridge. I have a fave buttermilk pancake recipe. I bet the yogurt with a little water would be a good substitute for the buttermilk.
    Bacon and Eggs! I usually also add a piece of toast or a serving of hasbrowns/tater tots.
    Always a classic.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You could make cottage cheese pancakes
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Oh, so many options! Oatmeal with blueberries, protein powder and a spoonful of lemon pudding mix. Oatmeal with a tablespoon of PB and a few dark chocolate chips. Oatmeal with a tablespoon of brown sugar and raisins. Scrambled eggs, or scrambled egg omelet with turkey, spinach and peppers. The list is endless!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Protein oats
    Any kind of egg dish : frittatas, crustless quiche, omelettes, breakfast burritos/sandwiches etc

I'm kinda in the same boat as you though and haven't been in the mood for proats (those artificial sweeteners have been a big turn off lately) or eggs lately though so it's been a problem!

I have been using this rice protein powder for my oats because it does not have that awful sweet flavor that comes with most of the whey products I've tried. It's not good for shakes because it is gritty, but it disappears perfectly in oatmeal and IMO adds very little flavor.

I use whey powder for my post-workout shake. I just try to ignore the funky sweetener taste, but it dissolves well. Still looking for something better.

The Biochem whey non flavored one tastes completely neutral to me.

I haven't found a vegan one that dissolves well enough to use for oatmeal (haven't tried rice protein, though).

i use plant fusion vegan protein that dissolves well in overnight oats with some almond milk. i really like it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

It's a good recipe, was always just too dry for my taste without fruit though, and strawberries and blueberries are too expensive right now. I always use a whole egg though!

But it doesn't quite satisfy the pancake craving for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Protein oats
    Any kind of egg dish : frittatas, crustless quiche, omelettes, breakfast burritos/sandwiches etc

I'm kinda in the same boat as you though and haven't been in the mood for proats (those artificial sweeteners have been a big turn off lately) or eggs lately though so it's been a problem!

I have been using this rice protein powder for my oats because it does not have that awful sweet flavor that comes with most of the whey products I've tried. It's not good for shakes because it is gritty, but it disappears perfectly in oatmeal and IMO adds very little flavor.

I use whey powder for my post-workout shake. I just try to ignore the funky sweetener taste, but it dissolves well. Still looking for something better.

The Biochem whey non flavored one tastes completely neutral to me.

I haven't found a vegan one that dissolves well enough to use for oatmeal (haven't tried rice protein, though).

i use plant fusion vegan protein that dissolves well in overnight oats with some almond milk. i really like it.

Cool, I'll try it.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    A lot of good ideas here. I will have to try a frittata. My favorite is an egg, bacon and avocado scramble.
  • aussieketogal
    aussieketogal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can make a porridge type breakfast using flaxseed meal which is high in essential omega 3s, fiber and a decent source of protein too.

This is a yummy looking recipe
    http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2015/01/12/vegan-flaxseed-porridge/
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I make up a scrambled egg mix, then in muffin tins I pop a bit of feta / grated cheese (or a dollop of low-fat cream cheese if I'm low on calories) and a few pieces of bacon / ham / chicken / broccoli or whatever leftovers I have, top up the case with the scrambled egg mix and pop in the oven for approx 20 mins until they are all puffed up and brown on top. So easy and seriously yum!!