What's your reason for trying to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Call it insecurity or conceited or whatever but the main reason i am choosing to lose weight is so i can feel beautiful. People like to put on a front and say im losing weight so i can be healthy blah blah blah but there are other reasons why people choose to lose weight .Whats your reason (real reason) for losing weight ?

I don't think that's putting on a front. My whole reason was because of a bunch of really nasty blood work. At the time I was 38 with a 1 y.o. and a 2.5 y.o. kid...with my blood work, my doctor pretty much told me I was well on my way to metabolic syndrome and being, at minimum, very ill by the time I was in my early 60s, if not dead.

That's not a front at all...it was a wake up call. My dad died of the same *kitten* when he was 62...I have two young boys to take care of, so I got my *kitten* together.

Four years later, and everything is pretty well corrected save for my hypertension. Due to heredity though, I have to be vigilant. Really, vanity didn't have anything to do with it at all...I always thought I looked pretty good, even when I was bigger. Admittedly, vanity played a bigger roll down the line, but that was when I was well past the point of taking care of my health issues...even then, I'm only willing to do so much. I'm 42 and married with a family...hardly underwear model material.
  • newblessings585
    newblessings585 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Health should be a main priority for losing weight but my point is that for some people it isnt they just want to feel better about themselves and being healthy for them is just a bonus .
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    1) So I can take my shirt off at the pool or river, or beach and not be ashamed
    2) Keep up with my teen aged boys, and they will never get the better of me
    3) To feel sexy and desirable,
    4) Its the one thing I can actually control in my life,
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    i wanna look like a god, and prevent myself from ever going to the ER again.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    combination reasons: I was always in shape, hunky and studly as a younger man of 180 pounds. Then in my 50s I let myself get soft and fat after a major car wreck. Head-on collision not my fault.. a heroin addict nodded off at the wheel, forgot to turn her lights on and slammed into me on a dark highway. I never saw her coming... anyway, I digress but lived to tell the tale. So now I found CICO and mfp. I have lost 40 pounds and on my way back to my ideal weight again. My objectives are to get off the high blood pressure and cholesterol drugs AND look good.. :)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Health should be a main priority for losing weight but my point is that for some people it isnt they just want to feel better about themselves and being healthy for them is just a bonus .
    That is definitely not me. I was flat as a board when I was skinny. I had enough of a bubble butt to pull off cute, but hot? Nope. Nobody ever called me hot. Now I get weird comments like "You gained weight in all the right places." My husband has never been able to keep his hands off me at any size. I might be strange, but I don't feel any less attractive at a heavier weight, I just like different things about my body. Being obese is unhealthy, inconvenient, and expensive though. All good enough reasons for me.
  • bboyd223
    bboyd223 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Had 3 knee surgeries and had the mentality that my athletic days were done. One day I woke up pissed off because I couldn't do the things I love. My original goal was to just build muscle around my knee and to not hurt every time it rained. Now I'm running 5ks, playing in a soccer league and keeping up with kids 15 years younger than me....girls like a 6 pack too
  • marifrie33
    marifrie33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Because every Sunday morning, after trying all my church clothes on twice, trying to find something that would make me look thinner than I was, I hated myself.
  • stasiaortiz95
    stasiaortiz95 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight for myself because I'm not confident anymore, I want to feel beautiful and be proud not be so insecure. I want to be how I used to be:) everyone misses the old me....
  • dervari
    dervari Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Health, and to attempt a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in a few years
  • LizXWP25
    LizXWP25 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Training to get into 2018 crossfit games.
  • ridin599
    ridin599 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Tired of what I see in the mirrior. Tired of the sidways looks from my wife. Tired of knowing how unattractive i feel inside and out.
  • catbeck20123
    catbeck20123 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wanna look good :D
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    Because I'm not good enough.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    Because I'm not good enough.

wanna bet?
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    For sure vanity. I love the health benefits too don't get me wrong. I want to get back to breaking necks. I want to do better than any of the past versions of myself.
  • Taylor076097
    Taylor076097 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Bc I think anyone who hits on me or wants to take me home is only doing it as a joke... And it's hard to want to go home with someone when your mortified to take your clothes off.
  • newblessings585
    newblessings585 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the honesty and how everyone has a different reason or motive for their journey.