1200 calorie recommendation

Options
Is anyone actually able to do this? If so what are you eating and how do you manage to never slip up?!

Replies

• mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do the 1,200 and I do slip up, but they are few and far between. I plan my days ahead and go from there. For example if I know I'm going to have a 200cal breakfast and a 400cal lunch then I make sure I plan a 600cal dinner or a 500cal dinner and allow 100cal for a snack. It gets easier and easier as it goes on. The key is preparation for me. If I have dinners etc planned then I know what my days intake should be, however if I come in from work late and I'm STARVING I know I'll slip up, cook way to much and eat way to much and then who wants to work out when they are overfull?? I would definitely recommend preparation.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    I do the 1,200 and I do slip up, but they are few and far between. I plan my days ahead and go from there. For example if I know I'm going to have a 200cal breakfast and a 400cal lunch then I make sure I plan a 600cal dinner or a 500cal dinner and allow 100cal for a snack. It gets easier and easier as it goes on. The key is preparation for me. If I have dinners etc planned then I know what my days intake should be, however if I come in from work late and I'm STARVING I know I'll slip up, cook way to much and eat way to much and then who wants to work out when they are overfull?? I would definitely recommend preparation.

Yes I kinda figured in order to make it work I would need to plan my calories ahead of time, so your reply just proved that correct... dang! That is really impressive that you have been able to keep to that and prep so well. Do you mind if I ask how your able to not get bored of your meals? Do you prep for the whole week ? What kinds of foods do you eat? Sorry to be so nosy, I'm just really looking for a way to do this... as of right now if I vary my meals at all I go over and it's frustrating (especially because I actually eat very healthy clean foods). The only other option besides meal prep is basically exercise more, which is great however I want my exercise to be in addition to my calorie count... not to help fix my over indulgence!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    At first I tried, I was miserable! 1400 was easier in my opinion - I still lost weight, slightly slower but at least I was happy and able to be consistent. Then I realised if I moved more I got to eat more and still lose so I ended up being able to lose eating anywhere between 1650 - 1900 calories a day. (and I'm only 5ft 2")

How much do you have to lose ?

Hmm that's probably why the app said "maybe you are being way too ambitious" or something along those lines when I was first starting... haha ugh.

I am looking to lose ten pounds (I am also 5'2").
    It's probably best to be consistent, so I might have to edit my plans. How much exercise to do do every day? I walk my dogs but lately haven't been doing much more than that (probably because I'm starving to death on 1200 calls!! Jk I have not been under 1200 yet so it has nothing to do with that).

Thanks for your input, it gave me things to consider... either buck up or be smart and switch to a more achievable plan.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    With only having 10lbs to lose, you are better to aim for 0.5lb per week - that way you'll not lose as much muscle along with the fat.

I workout for 45-60 mins per day. I run most days/walk every day and lift x 3 days, I also am pretty active in general.

The thing is I got to my goal weight 4 years ago and have successfully kept the weight off - I had 25lbs to lose. I never felt deprived or as if I was 'on a diet'. Now in maintenance I average 2000 calories a day in winter, more in summer as I'm out and about more when the days are longer and the weather is better :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    You'll find if you allow yourself a few hundred more calories you will not feel 'starving' :smile: think of the extra calories as fuel for your body - it will run more efficiently and you'll feel energised :smiley:
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    With only having 10lbs to lose, you are better to aim for 0.5lb per week - that way you'll not lose as much muscle along with the fat.

I workout for 45-60 mins per day. I run most days/walk every day and lift x 3 days, I also am pretty active in general.

The thing is I got to my goal weight 4 years ago and have successfully kept the weight off - I had 25lbs to lose. I never felt deprived or as if I was 'on a diet'. Now in maintenance I average 2000 calories a day in winter, more in summer as I'm out and about more when the days are longer and the weather is better :smile:

Wow congratulations! That is amazing, great work. You are very active! Did you start weightlifting after you started your weight loss program or was it something you always did?

You have very good advice, it obviously worked for you. I think I am going to see if I can stick to 1200 for 2 weeks and if I can I'll keep it and if I can't then I'm going to increase it to 1400 instead. I have not gone over 1400 ever (other than if I ate fast food) so either way I will be on the right track.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    ahh thanks :smile:
    I was almost at goal weight before I started lifting, I actually was down to the last 7 pounds so started resistance training with programmes like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. After reading so much on MFP about the benefits of strength training I decided I needed to do that regularly. Although I prefer cardio I love how my body now has great muscle tone. It really has worked wonders for my arms (no more bingo wings yayy) and my abs/glutes/thighs.

If you are working out/even walking lots and trying to stick to 1200, eat some exercise calories back - 50% even and that'll keep hunger at bay. Plenty of protein/fat/fibre will keep you feeling full in general.

All the best.
    Ruth
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    ahh thanks :smile:
    I was almost at goal weight before I started lifting, I actually was down to the last 7 pounds so started resistance training with programmes like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. After reading so much on MFP about the benefits of strength training I decided I needed to do that regularly. Although I prefer cardio I love how my body now has great muscle tone. It really has worked wonders for my arms (no more bingo wings yayy) and my abs/glutes/thighs.

If you are working out/even walking lots and trying to stick to 1200, eat some exercise calories back - 50% even and that'll keep hunger at bay. Plenty of protein/fat/fibre will keep you feeling full in general.

All the best.
    Ruth

Thanks Ruth!
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I do slip up from time to time. Right now I'm kind of in the middle of binging alot.. well I was the past week I plan on getting it together
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    for the 1200 cal plan - are you eating back any of the calories that you burn working out - that is one of the foundations of how MFP calcuates required calories?

personally, I have my TDEE calculated and just eat under that and don't eat my calories back (5'2", 155lbs, focusing on recomp rather than weight loss)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1250. I don't slip up, but I do plan for treats (I had a Dove ice cream bar the other day). I prelog and usually don't eat my exercise calories back (they are pretty minimal anyway). I don't specifically bank calories, but I do try to leave myself around a 50 calorie buffer (and rarely eat exercise calories back), so if there is a spontaneous food thing or I REALLY want a treat, I can work it in. My life is crazy busy with kids and activities and a job and stuff, so eating out and fast food is a part of that. We probably eat at Chick Fil A once a week and one other fast casual type place every 1-2 weeks. I've figured out how to work that in, too (plan, prelog, plan, and plan some more).

I've also mentally worked on what I REALLY want vs what I kinda want. If I really, really, really want something, I will make room for it. If I only kind of want it and there is a risk it would make me over eat, I find something else I enjoy and kind of ride the wave of that craving. Eventually it passes (and I swore it wouldn't and I would just eat a whole bag of chips or something).

I estimate that I am around 6-8 weeks from "onederland" at which time I plan on recalculating everything in MFP and adjusting my rate of loss from 2lbs to 1.5lbs per week, which should give me a few more calories to work with (I'm hoping for around 1350 per day).

As I lose more, I feel like exercising more and will definitely take advantage of eating some of those calories once I feel like I can accomplish some more intense workouts. We'll see. That's a future thing and just some musings and ideas I've tossed around to look forward to.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Is anyone actually able to do this? If so what are you eating and how do you manage to never slip up?!

My goal is 1200 without exercise. With exercise it is more like between 1200-1500.
    I find prelogging my food for the whole day to be helpful to meeting and sticking to my goals.
    Use a digital food scale.
    I eat lots of different foods. Focus on calorie goal, protein and several servings of vegetables and fruits a day.
    I don't have a mentality that I can never go over my goal, that I need to be a perfect dieter. I have maintenance calorie days sometimes. Look at your weekly calories instead of just daily.

This is how I typically eat:
    Breakfast- things like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

My goal is 1200 without exercise. With exercise it is more like between 1200-1500.
    I find prelogging my food for the whole day to be helpful to meeting and sticking to my goals.
    I eat lots of different foods. Focus on calorie goal, protein and several servings of vegetables and fruits a day.
    I don't have a mentality that I can never go over my goal, that I need to be a perfect dieter. I have maintenance calorie days sometimes. Look at your weekly calories instead of just daily.

Breakfast- things like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)

Wow thank you! This was so helpful. Do you manage to reach your protein goal each day? That's the only thing I seem to lack many of the days.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

I used to. Snacked throughout the day, no alcohol, lots of protein and coffee. I was hungry all the time and too skinny.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    I'm at 1250. I don't slip up, but I do plan for treats (I had a Dove ice cream bar the other day). I prelog and usually don't eat my exercise calories back (they are pretty minimal anyway). I don't specifically bank calories, but I do try to leave myself around a 50 calorie buffer (and rarely eat exercise calories back), so if there is a spontaneous food thing or I REALLY want a treat, I can work it in. My life is crazy busy with kids and activities and a job and stuff, so eating out and fast food is a part of that. We probably eat at Chick Fil A once a week and one other fast casual type place every 1-2 weeks. I've figured out how to work that in, too (plan, prelog, plan, and plan some more).

I've also mentally worked on what I REALLY want vs what I kinda want. If I really, really, really want something, I will make room for it. If I only kind of want it and there is a risk it would make me over eat, I find something else I enjoy and kind of ride the wave of that craving. Eventually it passes (and I swore it wouldn't and I would just eat a whole bag of chips or something).

I estimate that I am around 6-8 weeks from "onederland" at which time I plan on recalculating everything in MFP and adjusting my rate of loss from 2lbs to 1.5lbs per week, which should give me a few more calories to work with (I'm hoping for around 1350 per day).

As I lose more, I feel like exercising more and will definitely take advantage of eating some of those calories once I feel like I can accomplish some more intense workouts. We'll see. That's a future thing and just some musings and ideas I've tossed around to look forward to.

Any tips for riding the wave? I am a notorious binger with no self control. I'm okay if it's just me home alone but if my fiancé throws out the idea to go to fast food I accept every time and eat three peoples shares worth of food... I love fast food for some reason even though I shop and cook extremely healthy. It's so frustrating!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    I do slip up from time to time. Right now I'm kind of in the middle of binging alot.. well I was the past week I plan on getting it together

Good luck!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    for the 1200 cal plan - are you eating back any of the calories that you burn working out - that is one of the foundations of how MFP calcuates required calories?

personally, I have my TDEE calculated and just eat under that and don't eat my calories back (5'2", 155lbs, focusing on recomp rather than weight loss)

Yes I have been eating them back every time and then some. I don't exercise a ton, but usually about 2-4 miles in walking a day. I would like to increase it but have been not feeling motivated.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options

I used to. Snacked throughout the day, no alcohol, lots of protein and coffee. I was hungry all the time and too skinny.

What's your calorie limit now? Are you working on weight loss, gain, or maintenance? I can't even imagine the calories if I drank :smiley: !! That would be impossible to reach this goal!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Wow thank you! This was so helpful. Do you manage to reach your protein goal each day? That's the only thing I seem to lack many of the days.

My MFP protein goal is 20%. Looking at my report I usually get 45-70 g of protein daily. Most of the time it is in that range.
    Calories is most important for weight loss though so you can lose even if you get more or less than the reccomended macros.