Am I always going to have to weigh, measure and log?

Options
In 2014 with the help of MFP I lost 78 pounds (actually it took 2 years). Slowly I have been putting the weight back on. This week I am at 183lbs. That is a 28 pound gain in 2 years. At this rate I'll be back to 200 by 2017.

I did not go back to my old habits of eating fast food or a lot of junk. I just ate more with a splurge on the weekend. I still go to the gym 5 days a week. I lift and do cardio.

Logging today made me realize how quickly the calories add up.

I am back to weighing, measuring and logging. Will I always have to do this? Is there a secret to maintaining after the loss?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping I don't have too but I'm ok if I do.

I eat the same foods pretty much over and over so I'm hoping I can maintain by eating the same foods as when losing.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've come to terms with the fact that I will have to log. The problem with not logging is you'll (me) tend to slip.
    ....it's better than buying fat clothes again.

I am at the point where I need bigger clothes. That is what got me logging again.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I probably will have to log for a long time... maybe the rest of my life.
    Did you continue to log after reaching your goal and monitor your weight for awhile or just stop right then?

• not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for most of my adult life. I am 47. The times I have succeeded have been the ones where I logged. I've come to terms with the idea that I will need to log my caloric intake for the rest of my life if I ever want to lose this weight and eventually to maintain a healthy weight. But that's me.

You know you best.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping I won't have to, but I will if I have to. I'm a former yo-yo dieter.

One of the problems with me in the past was when I would go into maintenance I would loosen up.

I have a good ways to go before I hit maintenance again, but I don't plan to continue to log religiously.

I do plan to eat consciously, be mindful of my portions and what I'm putting in my mouth, and continue to weigh myself at least once a week if not daily.

I probably will log the odd day where I'm eating out or feel I'm eating something different than usual or having a treat.

However, if the above plan doesn't work I'm willing to log and weigh for the rest of my life if I have to.

But I really think before it wasn't that I wasn't logging it was that I wasn't being mindful of my eating, I wasn't weighing frequently to know what was going on with my weight, and I was having far, far too many treats and cheat meals / days.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Check this site out: http://nwcr.ws/

This is the National Weight Control Registry and they have detailed accounts of those who have lost and maintained. There are multiple common factors for those who have successfully maintained their goal weight:

98% of Registry participants report that they modified their food intake in some way to lose weight.

94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.

There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity:

78% eat breakfast every day.
    75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
    90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It's too easy to fall back into bad habits and unhealthy portions if I don't log, so for me it is permanent. Besides, if you start gaining weight again, and you haven't been logging, there is no data to analyze, so you won't really know what changed. I'm working too hard to lose the weight to risk gaining again just because I don't want want to weigh, measure & log. It's just what I do now, like combing my hair or brushing my teeth. It's part of my routine, so I plan on doing it forever.

Also, you've tried maintained without tracking, and you started gaining again, so my guess is that you will have to always do it. The good news is you know what you need to do, and you have the tools to do it *_*

Edited to fix typing errors.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Weighing and logging is a great tool for accurate portion control and learning food awareness. Whether you have to keep doing it, depends on how much you get out of it. Some people can't stop, won't stop, and are happy to keep weighing and logging. (I got bored from it in summer -15 and have just been meal planning/logging loosely in a spreadsheet.)

I don't know if maintaining without logging qualifies as a secret, but it's a skill one can aquire. From what I have seen on these boards, there are a few common traits for successful long time non-logging maintainers:
    They recognize and respect their hunger and satiety signals, or at least know how much food is appropriate for their needs.
    Their diet is predominantly home cooked and based on real whole foods. Eating patterns tend to lean more towards regular meals than nibbling through the day.
    Their diet (including portion sizes) is pretty consistent from day to day, but often allowing for seasonal cut/bulk cycles.
    They weigh themselves regularly, or use some other kind of measurement (clothing, mirror, tape measure etc) to monitor their weight, and take action if their weight goes beyond a set range.
    They are at least lightly active and enjoy their chosen exercise.
    They seem to not worry about their weight or have hangups around food choices, but enjoy good food and eat in a relaxed manner.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    In 2014 with the help of MFP I lost 78 pounds (actually it took 2 years). Slowly I have been putting the weight back on. This week I am at 183lbs. That is a 28 pound gain in 2 years. At this rate I'll be back to 200 by 2017.

I did not go back to my old habits of eating fast food or a lot of junk. I just ate more with a splurge on the weekend. I still go to the gym 5 days a week. I lift and do cardio.

Logging today made me realize how quickly the calories add up.

I am back to weighing, measuring and logging. Will I always have to do this? Is there a secret to maintaining after the loss?

Eventually you should be able to get the hang of it. I've been logging what I ate far before using MFP (back in third grade I started counting calories, terrible!) and it became a habit. As I grew up, I measured everything, got accustomed enough to it that I could eye things out, and now I can basically guesstimate my days instead of logging. I pre-log and then if I have X amount of calories left at the end of the day, I have macros memorized to the point that I know what will fit. It gets easier, and you get to the point of maintenance where it's okay to be a little off - especially when working out.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Yep.

Short - sweet and to the point. :smile: