Am I always going to have to weigh, measure and log?

Options
2»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Some will and some won't. ... personally I don't have to log /weigh foods any more - almost 4 yrs at maintenance and lasting good eating/workout habits are formed. I will always step on the scales regularly though.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    Over the past year, I log for a week or two, and then not for a week or two, then back on for a week or two, and so on.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Generally I am able to maintain a consistent weight without measuring or counting calories. I know which foods make me gain weight and which don't. I exercise regularly (walking, hiking and running) so I burn a lot of calories. I cook most of our meals, with only an occasional meal out.

Where I get in trouble is when I travel. DH and I spend 2-3 months on the road every year, sometimes more. We eat out a lot more and usually exercise less than when at home. I'll also indulge in treats on a regular basis, either because it's easy (ice cream makes a great late lunch) or because "it's vacation". So I'll almost always gain weight on a long trip. Then I have to pay close attention to my diet for a while to lose the weight I gained. But I know it's temporary. As long as I eat mostly healthy, continue to exercise, and avoid over-indulgence in sweets, I'm fine. It helps if you weigh yourself regularly, so you know whether you are still on track, but for me at least, the constant calorie counting and hyper-focus on food will end soon.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I think i have learned enough to know the calories in most the meals i eat, And should be able to use that knowledge of portion sizes for life once i hit maintenance.
    I imagine id still log maybe if i have new recipes or every little bit if i notice weight creeping up to find the issues, But Id think ill personally be okay. I guess it depends on how much you've learned while you lost.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Something that worked for me in the past (before MFP) and I'm trying again right now, is adding a serving or two of fruit or vegetable to every meal and snack.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I identify with your post, OP. I take breaks from tracking. Sometimes really long breaks. Without changing food choices or exercise volume/intensity, loosening up on portion size and an extra glass of wine here and there invariably leads to weight gain. Maybe sooner, maybe later, but eventually. My secret, if you want to call it that, is to limit the damage by jumping right back on calorie counting when I'm up 5 lb.
  • realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As long as this app is available, logging is so quick and easy that I'd say "if in doubt, why not just do it?" I am also finding that the daily step on the scale is crucial. Disclosure - I'm not yet at goal weight.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Once you KNOW portion sizes and have an awareness of food you don't need to log, the ability to learn that is different for each person. If you pay attention to what you are logging you should be able to learn this over time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've only gained back a couple pounds in 2.5 years - but yes, I still weigh my food and log every day.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lost 120 without owning a scale, but I log daily. I've been maintaining and even losing a little for a few months. I will likely have to continue to log, for life. If I don't I gain. It's that simple.
  • sunny_d22
    sunny_d22 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try not logging once I reach my next mini goal weight which will be my start of maintenance. But, I will weigh everyday and if my weight starts to trend up I will go back to logging. I don't mind logging, but I'd like to be able to maintain without logging.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    In 2014 with the help of MFP I lost 78 pounds (actually it took 2 years). Slowly I have been putting the weight back on. This week I am at 183lbs. That is a 28 pound gain in 2 years. At this rate I'll be back to 200 by 2017.

I did not go back to my old habits of eating fast food or a lot of junk. I just ate more with a splurge on the weekend. I still go to the gym 5 days a week. I lift and do cardio.

Logging today made me realize how quickly the calories add up.

I am back to weighing, measuring and logging. Will I always have to do this? Is there a secret to maintaining after the loss?

I know that I will need to log everyday and keep track of what I eat. I have lost weight in the past and have always gained it back, each time I stopped logging and thought in my head, I was eating fine most days and only indulging every once in awhile . Very slowly my old habits came back. This time around being old and really wanting to remain healthy I will log everyday.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OP-I've now been in maintenance coming up on 4 years. With the absolute dismal success rate for long term weight loss adherence, I knew the odds were stacked against me going into this whole thing. I'm surrounded by friends and family members who are yo yo dieters and together have lost hundreds and hundreds of pounds, but not one of them has actually kept off the weight for any amount of time. So I've focused on the long term right from day one, and so far so good!

-I keep things simple and only focus on calorie intake
    -I continue to eat all the foods I like and haven't cut anything out
    -I weigh myself daily
    -I have a 5lb maintenance window. Once I creep above/below that range, and stay there for a few days, I adjust my calorie intake until I'm back in that window
    -I still spot check portion sizes with a food scale. Not every day now, but several times a week
    -I still track calorie intake-usually just jotted down on a piece of paper on my kitchen counter
    -I intentionally eat less calories during the week because I tend towards eating higher calories on the weekends (also when I consume alcohol)
    -I practice 18:6IF several days a week
    -I get blood work done twice a year. This gives me an idea of what's going on in the inside. Since I used to have high glucose numbers it's also important for me to have data on where my glucose levels are at
    -I don't do intentional exercise, since it's not something I enjoy doing, but I do aim to be more active in my daily routine. I park further out in parking lots. I shovel our driveway instead of using our snow blower. I get the mail and take out the trash instead of having my kids do these things. I moved my cat's food/litter box into the basement so I have to walk up and down our basement steps several times a day. It's all little stuff that adds up :)

What I do for maintenance will be much different than what someone else does-the important thing is to figure out what works for you and always keep focused on what you can do today, next week, next month, next year and still do 30 or 40 years from now!
  • gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd say no, but you didn't have to let it get so far before logging again. You gained 28lbs over 2 years. That's a long time. I know it's easier said then done but it would have made more sense to weigh yourself regularly and when you see you've gained 5lbs, go back to logging. Remind yourself how to eat sensible again. Familiarise yourself with good habits. Get yourself back to your happy weight and then keep an eye on it.

No need to gain 28lbs before you log again. So I guess my point is, you can just log for periods to maintain your weight and hopefully I'm the end you will get better at maintaining without mfp. Xx
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I haven't been very good at maintaining without logging. I'll also throw in the mix that when I stop weighing myself, the same bad things happen.
    I certainly take time off from time to time but as soon as I reach the upper limit to my 'window of acceptance' I buckle down again and get religious about the logging again.
    I am pretty sure this will be a lifelong thing.
  • HeyJude007
    HeyJude007 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well, I can only say this for me - but I am sure that I will need to log my food daily for the rest of my life. Well, if I want to stay at my goal weight. I had lost 340+ lbs after a lifetime of severe obesity. I am 6'2" tall and at my highest I weighed 562.3. I got down to 215 and kept it off for about 6 years. I was even in People Half their size. After several years, I thought - I got this. I stopped focusing on the things that made me successful. I gained back 200 of those 340 hard lost pounds before I woke up, put my ego aside and got back after it. I am logging daily - I am down 44 lbs. Someone told me one time, your body is a merciless deadly accurate calorie counting machine. :)

There was a study that looked at people that kept food logs. They found that across the board, they underestimated their actual calorie intake by between 250 and 1000 calories per day - with the average being 395 calories. Keep in mind, that is people like us TRYING to log accurately.

I am having to learn this hard lesson twice. I damn sure don't want to have to learn it a 3rd time. :smile:

I wish you the very best!

Charles

I hope you lose the rest of your weight. It's sad how it creeps back I was a gain weight in the winter lose in the summer ... then was hurt when I was 40 ... and put on weight. 275 I lost weight. .. to 220... but then I gained it all back and decided I was ment to be this way. Up to 275 again, and this time I will stay charting my food... for ever.!!!!!! I lost out on 22 years of my life being able to move, hold grandkids on my lap.. I will not do a yo yo diet again. I hope this site lasts forever. I won't get on scale because I worry that will make me laps or feel like I'm not making headway. I figure if its a life long journey. the weight should come off by its self... and when I feel comfortable add that many more calories to maintain. So This has been very low stress. So good luck once again. We can do this. I can do this.