Opinions on diet soda

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Icrizz wrote: »
    Soda in general is bad for you because the acids in it wreck havoc on your teeth. But if you really can't cut it out of your diet without feeling deprived then it's a great alternative to regular soda. Just be careful about how much you drink because too much artificial sugar is really bad for you

You have been misinformed, there is nothing wrong with sweeteners.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Carbonated water is also bad for teeth as it contains carbon dioxide which is corrosive.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Personally i prefer thr taste of artificial sweeteners but then ive never really drank soda regularly. My biggest gripe with artificial sweeteners is that they fuel my sweet tooth and make it more likely that ill crave (and eat) sweets. I gave up sweeteners and my sweet consumption dropped significantly- which helped my diet as they never filled me up and i over ate them.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Soda in general is bad for you because the acids in it wreck havoc on your teeth. But if you really can't cut it out of your diet without feeling deprived then it's a great alternative to regular soda. Just be careful about how much you drink because too much artificial sugar is really bad for you

Nope!

The acid eats away the enamel on your teeth which can never be replaced. Technically speaking, anything with a lot of acid is bad for you.

Ever hear of a toothbrush?

I drink with a straw so the diet soda doesn't touch my teeth (which are already rotting because of bad teeth. Thanks Mom!).
  • zyxst
    Options

Nope!

The acid eats away the enamel on your teeth which can never be replaced. Technically speaking, anything with a lot of acid is bad for you.

You don't eat much citric fruit, do you?
  • zyxst
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OT: If you like diet soda, drink it. If you don't, then don't. If it has calories or other macros/micros you want to track, log it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    Carbonated water is also bad for teeth as it contains carbon dioxide which is corrosive.

Humans excrete carbon dioxide as a byproduct of respiration and is excreted through the mouth/nose.
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I limit sodas because carbonation feels totally funny to me, and I do suggest using a straw because the only person that's been annoyed by my soda use (and coffee/tea use) is my dentist. (Coffee/tea because of staining and no one wants to take an extra 5 to have to polish your teeth more because you drink coffee like water... which I do.) However, the dentist did suggest using a straw specifically because my teeth are weak and gums are messed up. It's more of a "precaution" than a necessity.

I absolutely HATE non-diet sodas because they feel like a meal to me, and I am on a 1200-1500 intake. They're calories that I personally cannot afford. Coke Zero stays stocked in my fridge at home even though I made it more of a "treat" situation. Bubbly water, however, is my bread and butter. If you want carbonation without the soda part, for whatever reason, try bubbly water.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »

Again, it's called a toothbrush.

I drink tons of diet sodas and my dentist loves my teeth.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Nope!

The same acids in soda are present in plenty of the foods we eat. Are we supposed to stop eating food too?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    SydneyA89 wrote: »
    Curious what people have to say about diet soda. I have heard its great for people trying to lower their sugar, but I have also heard its really bad for you. Anyone have any information on this?

Nope, not going to get sucked into this again :p

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    You can have my Fresca when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.
  • dottiestlottiest2015
    Options
    OK, it's not healthy - water is always the best thing to drink but diet soda's aren't bad for you per se - see the sensible comments from people above re the studies done.
    It is calorie free so it won't make you put on weight, but some people say it slows down their weightloss (for a variety of reasons both physical and psycological) so do drink it in moderation.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    OK, it's not healthy - water is always the best thing to drink but diet soda's aren't bad for you per se - see the sensible comments from people above re the studies done.
    It is calorie free so it won't make you put on weight, but some people say it slows down their weightloss (for a variety of reasons both physical and psycological) so do drink it in moderation.

Diet soda contains water. Lots of it. Does something magical happen to it?

Why is it "not healthy"?
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    For years I have been drinking diet soda, on one of my very first weight loss regimes I cut out regular soda and developed a "taste" for diet coke. It was a mainstay of mine and not unusually after mowing the lawn to down 2 to 4 cans a day. Normally just 1-2. Now though that I am drinking water I have no taste for it at all. When I'm thirsty I drink more water. I think in moderation, much like anything else in life there is no problem with it.