Opinions on diet soda

Options

Replies

• fitlife07
    fitlife07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are twice as horrible as the regular ones. Full of synthetic stuff. I'd stay away from them.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    OK, it's not healthy - water is always the best thing to drink but diet soda's aren't bad for you per se - see the sensible comments from people above re the studies done.
    It is calorie free so it won't make you put on weight, but some people say it slows down their weightloss (for a variety of reasons both physical and psycological) so do drink it in moderation.

It's just as healthy as water. It's something like 98% water.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    fitlife07 wrote: »
    Diet sodas are twice as horrible as the regular ones. Full of synthetic stuff. I'd stay away from them.

No.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Diet soda tastes like death and sadness.

But it's not harmful and if you can get past the awful, awful taste, it can be a great replacement for higher calorie beverages.

It seriously depends on personal taste as well as which ones you've tried.

Diet Coke tastes like crap, yet Coke Zero tastes almost identical to the real thing. Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale was tops until they changed the formula, I find the generic stuff to be delicious. Diet Barq's Root Beer is superb.

Not all diet sodas have that "diet taste".

Funnily, my opinion is exactly the opposite. I despise Coke Zero, and I won't touch it even if there isn't any Coke Light, I'll just go without. I feel the same way about Diet Pepsi, too. Only Coke Light for me!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

But it's not harmful and if you can get past the awful, awful taste, it can be a great replacement for higher calorie beverages.

Diet Coke tastes like crap, yet Coke Zero tastes almost identical to the real thing. Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale was tops until they changed the formula, I find the generic stuff to be delicious. Diet Barq's Root Beer is superb.

Funnily, my opinion is exactly the opposite. I despise Coke Zero, and I won't touch it even if there isn't any Coke Light, I'll just go without. I feel the same way about Diet Pepsi, too. Only Coke Light for me!

And I can't tell the difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero. Did a quick blind taste test and they tasted the same to me. I don't like either, but drink either as a mixer.

The only diet drink that doesn't taste diet to me is diet tonic when mixed with gin. Tastes just like regular gin & tonic.

I drink mostly coffee black and water.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »

And I can't tell the difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero. Did a quick blind taste test and they tasted the same to me. I don't like either, but drink either as a mixer.

The only diet drink that doesn't taste diet to me is diet tonic when mixed with gin. Tastes just like regular gin & tonic.

I drink mostly coffee black and water.

To me, both Coke Zero and Diet Pepsi taste extremely sweet and have a weird aftertaste. I can definitely tell the difference between either of them and Coke Light, although I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Pepsi. :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Icrizz wrote: »
    Soda in general is bad for you because the acids in it wreck havoc on your teeth.
    No different than any acid on your teeth. But people have bad teeth in general more because of bad oral hygiene than diet soda.
    But if you really can't cut it out of your diet without feeling deprived then it's a great alternative to regular soda. Just be careful about how much you drink because too much artificial sugar is really bad for you
    How much are you speaking of? One can drink 2-3 diet sodas a day and be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I worked in a hospital for 15yrs & the docs tell me it increases your chances for brain annyrism
    So does skate boarding or any other sport.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    fitlife07 wrote: »
    Lol, medicine is synthetic. Tap water has flouride and chlorine in it. What synthetic stuff are you speaking of?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• AngieEz29
    AngieEz29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just wonder if it you stop drinking Diet Soda if you will lose more weight? That is my question.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    AngieEz29 wrote: »
    I just wonder if it you stop drinking Diet Soda if you will lose more weight? That is my question.

Why don't you try it for yourself and find out? I've gone through periods where I don't drink it. I've never seen a change to my weight loss when I stop or start back up again, personally.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Nothing in diet soda is harmful. As a chemist, I can confirm that aspartame is completely safe.

Disclaimer: I drink a gallon of diet soda a day. That said,

What about the bromide in lemon lime sodas? What about phosphoric acid?

Granted in the serving sizes the amount is negligible.

*Also, BVO is being removed slowly from diet sodas because of problems related, so.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    AngieEz29 wrote: »

Since Diet Sodas have 0 calories, the answer is no.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    We currently have Diet Cranberry Canada Dry, Diet Orange Crush, Diet Canada Dry, and Diet Birch Beer in our refrigerator.

That's my opinion of diet soda.