Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How much have you changed from high school until now?

Cerealsensei
Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
Not so much in a physical sense, but what about your personality/hobbies if anything at all has changed since you were younger?

For me I was extremely quiet and my social skills were pretty much nonexistent. Since then I've somewhat broken out of my shell and my social skills have grown leaps and bounds, though I still have a tendency to shut down sometimes because I'm not too good at holding conversations.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    He said not in a physical sense, man, come on.
    Damn I lose again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited December 2016
    I was one of those hippie, artsy-fartsy types. Pothead, drinker, too smart for my own good, yeah I was a typical jerk of a kid.

Now I'm sober aside from occasional drinking, an art teacher, but still a jerk.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    I was shy but I decided when I finished I wouldn't be shy anymore because it was silly and I am no longer shy although if I'm not careful I can easily slip into that.

Really not much else has changed...I skated back then and I still skate now.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    kitten then......

kitten now

*shrug
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I am the same person.. but back then I rebelled against any rule or law that existed and refused to listen to any authority..
  • Cerealsensei
    newmeadow wrote: »
    In high school, I used to be embarrassed if anyone spotted me eating Hostess snack cakes and pies or candy bars. Not anymore.

no one should ever have shame in their food game.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Well, it has been 24 years since high school for me. I'm not exactly the same as I was then.
    I watched much more tv back then. No computer at home when I was in high school so no internet. Internet has kind of replaced tv.
    I was shyer and more concerned about other people's opinions. I'm still quiet and an introvert but not so shy. I'm less willing to put up with *kitten* people. I don't feel the need to try to fit in much anymore.
    I joked around more perhaps back then and am more serious now. I still have a weird sense of humor.
    I've always been curious and loved learning. I pay more attention to world events now.
    I liked to make art, cook and read and I still do those things.
    I'm much more organized and plan more.
    I think I am more patient and understanding now of others and better at communicating.
    I've always liked helping others.
    I've never been trendy or followed fads. That hasn't changed much.
    I was semi-religious then and am now an atheist.
    I grew up in a city but prefer small town or rural life now.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    I was a straight arrow, prude, rule follower, very goody goody. Now, I am that same person I used to lecture like a parent. I have been experiencing life backwards where I was an adult as a child and a child as an adult. I guess I'm completely different as far as principals go but my core personality (quirky introvert) is still intact. Just way more relaxed; pulled that stick out of my @ss.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    When I was 12, I was lost in the town fair and my parents got really freaked out. They thought I got kidnapped or something. They found me three days later and I was amidst a group of Sanskrit scholars discussing Sanskrit and such.

When I was 17, I made my first end table from scratch and my parents were extremely happy and they really thought I'd be the best tablemaker in town. I still have the pics, I gotta go check my Flickr.

Then many years later.... we attended a wedding and they ran out of booze. Fortunately I was around and the bride's parents were so freaked out that my mom asked me if I could help. And I did and everybody had booze that night and they thank me to this day.

I haven't changed much today. I am the same person and I keep helping everyone every day.

10 Our Father's .... 10 Hail Mary's ... 10 Glory be's for you!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    ... your personality/hobbies if anything at all has changed since you were younger?

For me I was extremely quiet and my social skills were pretty much nonexistent. Since then I've somewhat broken out of my shell and my social skills have grown leaps and bounds, though I still have a tendency to shut down sometimes because I'm not too good at holding conversations.

You're not doing too badly@being conversational.

For me - I was more agreeable in my youth - amongst the student corps (leadership role mainly and strangely popular, despite keeping to myself, watched closely too, without a chance for a misstep); A faculty/admin pet ... I'm now more reserved (guarded); Am rather cautious and am determined to maintain my privacy, keeping my circle of friends/associates extremely tight.

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Changes less physical? Personality wise? No change. My friends have changed though. Realities of married life has been cruel. Conversations with them are rough.

Socially? Was always considered "the party girl" ... Hosted the best parties and dated the hottest guys >:) ... Today, I am more reserved, appreciate my privacy, only party if it's work related and I do not want to be a serial dater .

Faith? Was an ardent worshipper ... Atypically the younger sister to the School Sacristan 4 years in a row. Today, am a private worshipper.

Fitness/sports? Was heavily involved in a lot of team sports as well as individual sports. Highly competitive. Today? Exercising/Fitness is my therapy ... Prefer to do it alone or with my sister. Not too into team sports anymore. More for self.

ETA: I was the school loan shark[ food and cash would have deathly high interests] Students and faculty/admin would borrow money from me. Today? I am a Scrooge. I will "teach them to fish"
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    I was shy and a wallflower then
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Next year it'll be 10 years since high school. Some days I feel like nothing has changed. When I was in high school I had very low self esteem. I hated the way I looked and over compensated by getting insanely good grades and *kitten* up the bell curve. I ended up graduating a year early, which now I kinda regret because I missed my whole senior year with my friends. I was very quiet, didn't really talk to many people. Then I discovered the Internet. It kinda toughened me up lol. I miss high school sometimes. I wish I had the same idgaf attitude I have now back then.

ljg52w80szz3.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I was very social at the time. Had a few close friends (I'm still a FB friend with some of them) and lots of casual friends. I was in a girl only class (with one guy, who of course I was the closest to), which actually resulted in almost NO drama (which is weird, I know). Surprisingly I'm pretty much in the same situation again now (including that one guy I'm close to), but if you had asked me 6 months ago, it was completely different (pretty much no friends at all). Crazy what a difference 6 months can make.

I didn't have a stable relationship then though, and I'm married now, and I have kids, so I guess that's a pretty big difference though.

Weight-wise (even though you didn't ask), I'm actually pretty close (end of high school was my one of my lowest weight actually).
  • PoeticGamer
    PoeticGamer Posts: 31 Member
    I was extremely mentally unstable. I had a lot of problems going on, would self injure, in and out of psychiatric hospitals, suicidal.
    I still have a lot of work to do with my mental health but I don't self injure or try to attempt suicide anymore. Oh please don't judge or preach to me that would suck.
    I have my own place now, 2 cats, and I'm engaged. I'm attempting to improve my life and help out my family.
  • Cerealsensei
    km8907 wrote: »
    Next year it'll be 10 years since high school. Some days I feel like nothing has changed. When I was in high school I had very low self esteem. I hated the way I looked and over compensated by getting insanely good grades and *kitten* up the bell curve. I ended up graduating a year early, which now I kinda regret because I missed my whole senior year with my friends. I was very quiet, didn't really talk to many people. Then I discovered the Internet. It kinda toughened me up lol. I miss high school sometimes. I wish I had the same idgaf attitude I have now back then.

ljg52w80szz3.jpg

Agreed on the bold. having that attitude back then could have saved me from a lot of emotional nonsense i was putting myself through.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    I am twice the person I was. I was 122# in high school (was up to 226, but down to 202 now). I have 10X the self confidence and self worth as I did then. (Now just to get the body back).
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    I was painfully shy growing up, but now I'm very outgoing and a total extrovert.

I graduated in 1991 and had that 'big jersey hair' and now, thankfully, it's much more tame B)
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Always been the same, some say I have matured but they're just big poopy heads