DIET SODA!

Options

Replies

• GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is the last vice I have in this world and I refuse to give it up.

tumblr_lqxbgvc2GB1qzeraho1_500.jpg
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I drink one Pepsi Max a day, usually late afternoon or for dinner.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    There are no legitimate health reasons for consuming diet sodas, except for the teeth issue which actually is a serious concern when you drink it like water as many dieters do -- this is a function of the carbonation however and any fizzy drink will have a negative effect on your teeth in the long run.

That said I drink it daily. Ice cold diet soda? Dieter's saviour.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    The only issue with diet soda that I've noted is they are REALLY high in sodium, which could contribute to water retention and bloated feeling.

NO

I just checked labels on both. 8 oz of milk has 3x the sodium as a 12 oz can of diet soda. Neither is high (120 mg vs 40)
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero or Diet Dr Pepper when I'm really in the mood for pop. It's not about the sugar or the calories for me - it's about diabetes/insulin issues and I prefer not to drink my carbs! Everyone who sees me dieting and drinking this goes to tell me how that stuff "won't make you lose weight," yeah, it's not about that for me. I have to watch carbs over calories and if I'm dying for a soda, it's gonna be a diet.

**also, i've been doing it so long I just prefer the taste, just like how I prefer my tea (iced and hot) with no sugar, just lemon
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have read up on diet soda. More specifically aspartame. It's not good for you. It's linked to cancer. That being said I can't drink water all the time, juices are out for their carb content and I really don't like crystal light or anything. SO every once in a while I will have a diet pop. I like cherry flavored sodas, like diet cherry pepsi, or diet cherry 7up. I also like diet orange soda. The one diet pop I will not touch is coke. I think it tastes awful.

I only have a pop after I've achieved my 8 cups of water for the day.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options

Woops! I'd totally overlooked the search function and just guestimated that there wasn't another topic like this by going back a few pages in the threads. I'll definitely use that in the future. Thank you for pointing it out to me! ♥
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It has been four months since I have had soda and I feel so much better (and my teeth thank me). Stay away from diet soda, recent science tests have shown that it actually makes you eat more.

yeah, i don't buy that at all....
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    SURE!
    DIET SODA IS GREAT IF
    YOU ADD VODKA OR WHISKEY TO IT!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have them occassionally. I just really don't desire them very much any more. But sometimes there are days that if I don't get a diet Mtn Dew, someone might lose a limb.
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my one year without soda, including diet soda! :happy:

I gave it up because I had a problem sticking to consuming it in moderation. I was drinking 4-5 cans/day. I had stains on my teeth and constantly felt bloated. Plus, I wasn't drinking any water because I was using Diet Coke to "hydrate." I did also notice that I craved more sugary foods than I do now, but that could also be attributed to eating less sugar in general.

One year off of it, and I feel much better, my teeth are whiter, and I really don't miss it.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 Diet Dr. Pepper a day. I always drink water when I eat. It boosts my water intake, its free and i dont waste the taste of my bottle of deliciousness mixing it with food. I drink my soda in the middle of the day. It has become like a treat for me. I still have issues getting my 8 glasses of H2O in a day, but I am continually working on it!! I am just glad I dont drink 3-5 soda's a day like I used to. People say "just give up that one soda it wont be hard." I then say, "__________ you" :)

disclaimer!!! The fill in the blank option can be used with whatever word comes to mind, its not necessarily the F bomb :wink:
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    SURE!
    DIET SODA IS GREAT IF
    YOU ADD VODKA OR WHISKEY TO IT!

A new nummy here in this house is diet root beer and Captain. If you like a sweet drink, is good.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Stay away from diet soda, recent science tests have shown that it actually makes you eat more.

It doesn't MAKE you eat more. Some studies INDICATE that there might be an increase in food cravings, i.e. sweets, because of the artificial sweeteners. But it is merely a correlation - if I save the 160 calories and 40 grams of sugar I'd get in a pepsi throwback by having a diet pepsi instead, I may feel like I can eat two Oreos later, for about the same calories. Or maybe I want Oreos and I chose the diet soda so I have calories left. Both fit into the connection, but neither indicate that if I hadn't had the diet soda (if I'd had water instead, say), I wouldn't have been doomed to eat the Oreos.

Also, if you're tracking your calories, and keeping them within your limit, diet soda won't suddenly make that go up. It's your choice.

And now for the anecdotal: some people (I've seen it in this post) will admit that they crave sweets more after diet soda. Some may. But not everyone - for some it will satisfy that sweet craving, which is often more psychological than based on dietary need, so the body doesn't care if it got the calories and the emotional need is satisfied. That's what it does for me, anyway.

OP - diet soda in moderation is OK. It's probably not the best for your teeth, and you want to limit yourself (just like with regular soda). Don't use it as a substitute for water, but don't feel bad if you want some.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I drink it about once a month or so, when I get a craving. I find regular pop too sweet, so I prefer the taste of diet.

I also use it as a mixer very, very occasionally. If I'm piling on calories from alcohol, I try to save them elsewhere.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced that diet soda is better or worse than regular, but I do think that all soda in general is bad for you though. So I usually drink the "real" stuff so I'm better at watching it. (I watch the calories and therefore watch the soda)

In any case I don't drink it any more than once a week. Sometimes I can go a month or two without any of it.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Coke every day. WITH CAFFEINE! lol
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    The only issue with diet soda that I've noted is they are REALLY high in sodium, which could contribute to water retention and bloated feeling.

NO

I just checked labels on both. 8 oz of milk has 3x the sodium as a 12 oz can of diet soda. Neither is high (120 mg vs 40)

Thank you. :flowerforyou:
    I was about to say the same thing.

A 20oz bottle of Diet Coke has 70g of sodium. That's NOTHING.

Diet soda having lots of sodium is a myth. Check your labels, people.....

ETA: I drink it when I crave something sweet or want to eat something but have no calories. The diet soda is like a substitute without the calories and works perfectly.
    It doesn't increase my desire for sweets, it IS my sweet craving being fulfilled.
    It doesn't make me eat more, it's my zero calorie substitute for food when I have no extra calories left or am saving my calories for something else.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Rite Cherry because it uses Sucralose (Splenda) instead of Aspratame (Nutrasweet). I prefer the taste of Nutrasweet, but it is known to stall weight loss for those in ketosis.

I drink between five and seven cans a day, and at least a gallon of water.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is the last vice I have in this world and I refuse to give it up.

tumblr_lqxbgvc2GB1qzeraho1_500.jpg

This is how I feel about my diet Mt Dew and Diet Dr Pepper. Actually I like them best mixed together 1/2 and 1/2. I call it a diet Dr Dew. I have one nearly everyday.