How come I have more energy the less I eat?

Options

Replies

• KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Your posting history suggests that you have an eating disorder, and this post is concerning.

You have a history of starting posts asking about very low calorie intakes, then came back and said you had gastroparesis, and said that you were eating more and better and were over your restricting ways...

And now here you are with this.

You probably feel best without food because you have a long history of a disordered relationship with it and need help dealing with that. Please see a professional.

I have gastroparesis but I recently went on a forum for people with digestive issues and the others didn't have this with it (the higher energy on low-no food). And please stop assuming I still have an ED. There's a difference between starving yourself to lose weight and avoiding food because it causes digestive discomfort, chronic diahhrea/constipation and fatigue. Think of medication. It's needed for patients. But there are cases where the side effects are so extreme, it outweighs the benefits of the medicine. And sometimes those patients even start skipping doses to avoid the horrible side effects. Same concept.

You never get rid of an ED. You manage it. You live in recovery. You remain vigilant to it creeping back.

You certainly do not turn around from it in months.

So the solution is to trigger my severe digestive symptoms by eating regularly? I really don't understand how this is an ED when I'm just avoiding what is causing the problems. I'm not doing it to lose weight. If my stomach and colon weren't this crazy, I wouldn't have to avoid eating to feel comfortable.

If you can't understand what's wrong with not eating and starving yourself, you definitely need help beyond the scope of this forum.

How do I eat without digestive complications? What would you personally do if you had no availability to your doctor for the next 3 weeks and every time you ate, you had a myriad of digestive problems, drop in energy, headaches etc. Put yourself in my shoes. What exactly would you do? Suggestions?

Doctors with full schedules can always refer you to another doctor who can fit you in.

Does this count for doctors who are out of state? I'll be up north for 3 weeks.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It does sound like its possibly a medical issue AND your brain translating the feelings from food digestion incorrectly.

Another posted above shared this "Eat only very small amounts of food, and consume progressively more from day-to-day until you can finally eat a normal diet."

Have you tried eating small amounts maybe in 2 hour intervals to see how it goes? Maybe a liquid meal would help? A blender like blendtec sort of pre-chews the food for you. You can't have lactose but you can use a veggie protein powder, or liquid eggwhites, along with a low sugar fruit like blueberries and see how your system handles that.

When I eat an overlarge meal I get tired, when I eat foods that I have trouble digesting I can get constipated (red meat, too much cheese, too much pasta), constipation makes me fatigued and irritable.

I too am on the boat that its because you don't eat regularly enough, that when you do, your body overcompensates to digest, its actually a fair amount of work and energy to digest, if you have no fuel in you to begin with, your body has to take the energy from elsewhere to digest.

• KrazyKrissyy
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you cannot eat enough by mouth I would be discussing tube feeding or tpn with my doctor

This is actually a great idea/suggestion!
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    It does sound like its possibly a medical issue AND your brain translating the feelings from food digestion incorrectly.

Another posted above shared this "Eat only very small amounts of food, and consume progressively more from day-to-day until you can finally eat a normal diet."

Have you tried eating small amounts maybe in 2 hour intervals to see how it goes? Maybe a liquid meal would help? A blender like blendtec sort of pre-chews the food for you. You can't have lactose but you can use a veggie protein powder, or liquid eggwhites, along with a low sugar fruit like blueberries and see how your system handles that.

When I eat an overlarge meal I get tired, when I eat foods that I have trouble digesting I can get constipated (red meat, too much cheese, too much pasta), constipation makes me fatigued and irritable.

I too am on the boat that its because you don't eat regularly enough, that when you do, your body overcompensates to digest, its actually a fair amount of work and energy to digest, if you have no fuel in you to begin with, your body has to take the energy from elsewhere to digest.

Thanks for the suggestions and input. I've never tried meals as close as 2 hours apart. The closest I've gotten was 3 hours. I would eat raw stuff like nuts and fruit when doing that (my stomach didn't enjoy the raw snacks).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Can you handle supplements? As in liquid meal replacement, something high protein. You could take a shot glass of that every 15-30 minutes (depending on calorie counts).
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Can you handle supplements? As in liquid meal replacement, something high protein. You could take a shot glass of that every 15-30 minutes (depending on calorie counts).

I can as long as no-low lactose. You mean like a protein shake diet?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I can as long as no-low lactose. You mean like a protein shake diet?

Or like a boost or ensure, but high protein formulation. Anything that will give you essential nutrients.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Reiterating the need to see a doctor pronto. But in the meantime as Nutmegoreo suggested go for high nutrient liquids - make smoothies; protein shakes; ensure etc - small and often. It will take time for your digestive system to get used to doing what it's meant to again.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I can understand not wanting to eat because it leads to painful digestive symptoms. I suffer from a digestive disorder and often get the symptoms you describe after eating. But I don't not eat. I eat small amounts,more frequently (as suggested above) of foods I know my body can handle but it takes trial and error to work that out. And I've been professionally diagnosed,am receiving treatment and can talk to my medical team when symptoms flare up.
    I'd suggest eating bland foods little and often and seeing a doctor as soon as possible.
    I do know what you mean about having more energy when you don't eat, but it's temporary and eventually you'll hit a wall.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I disagree with those who have said that it isn't possible that all food is causing the OP stomach distress. Of course that is possible. It just doesn't seem likely.

BUT, no person thinking rationally about it would use that as an argument for simply not eating. Nor would they argue against seeing a doctor about it because it is inconvenient.

KrazyKrissyy, the way you talk about this does not sound healthy, it sounds disordered. I recommend you work with your doctor to get the medical and psychological support you need to deal with this problem. I do not think you can get the help you need on this forum.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm not assuming you have an ED, just sharing my experience having had one. When I was anorexic I always felt better without food. I felt better being hungry, in fact I thrived off that feeling. I used to get such mental clarity and energy from not eating for 24+ hours. I convinced myself that my extreme hunger was nausea, ergo I should avoid eating because it will worsen the nausea. Physically I was dying, but psychologically I was accomplishing my goals.

What did you end up doing about it? Like I mentioned earlier, when I do eat, I'm prone to cramps, fatigue, diarrhea, headaches, distended stomach, etc. even impaction (worst pain ever). It's a catch-22.

I addressed the underlying psychological issues. I recognized why I didn't feel the need to eat and why I felt sick whenever I did. I used to never finish meals because it made me sick. But it wasn't the food that made me sick, it was the guilt and anxiety that turned my stomach in knots. Psychologically I couldn't eat, but physically I was damn well capable of finishing more than half a packet of oatmeal.
  • Jem_Girl
    Jem_Girl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add a suggestion for getting calories/protein without the "roughage" since insoluble fiber can be a problem for those with gastroparesis. For anyone with GP, I would expect high fiber foods to be potentially uncomfortable (and the more major cases just wouldn't be able to digest it... but that usually ends up with a feeding tube). During my worst GP flares I used Unjury's Chicken Soup Flavor Protein powder. It's a good source of protein but not of fat or carbs. Solid protein is one of the hardest things for me to keep down when my GP is bad, along with oils and fibrous veggies. I also juiced (not smoothied) my veggies to get soluble fiber. Pretty much a liquid diet. Stuff like milk would come back up as separated liquid fat, so getting my fats was probably not done in the healthiest of ways.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If you cannot eat enough by mouth I would be discussing tube feeding or tpn with my doctor

This is actually a great idea/suggestion!

This is the idea you like?!? :o:#
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    mommasamfa wrote: »
    I wish more people knew about gastroparesis, the comments on this may seem to have "good intent" but it can actually be quite harmful to those who are genuinely trying to seek help. Gastroparesis is a rare condition from damage to the vagus nerve for a myriad of reasons. Its name states exactly what it is... "gastro" referring to the stomach, "paresis" referring to paralysis. With gastric paralysis, a person cannot digest food to retain enough nutrients. You can have weight gain, from your body being in starvation mode, or weight loss, from not getting food and nutrients like you should. For example, my last endoscopy showed food from over 13 hours prior still remaining in my stomach. I do not qualify for tube feeds yet because my body stays in starvation mode and my labs aren't that bad YET. A gastroparesis flare consists of incessant vomiting, pain, and many more symptoms. Some flares can last hours, some can last months. Some people have digestive tract paralysis and can't even absorb tube feeds or fluids. I've spent years throwing up being accused of an ED due to all the vomiting and not eating because it hurts too badly. A gastroparesis diet consists of not eating: whole grains; fruits and veggies, mostly those uncooked and with skins; nothing with too much acidity; nothing too high in fat; not too much meat; and keeping fiber to 5g or less. A lot of people develop fear of food, medical PTSD, etc. It's extremely difficult to explain and understand gastroparesis, but it isn't an eating disorder. I have to have fluids administered at a hospital with nausea meds throughout the week. I am hungry but I don't think my body can handle more food right now so I have to wait. I can't even drink protein shakes because they are too nutrient dense for my stomach to handle. I'm not sure that many of you could handle the constant vomiting, the fear of the radioactive eggs/oatmeal, the belly distention that comes with one bite of food and leaves you looking like you're 9 months pregnant with twins, the amount of doctors who are clueless in regards to DTP,and the hateful comments you get from others.
    The OP, I'm not sure what you've been through and what treatments you've tried. If you can inquire about nausea meds, Reglan or Domperidone, tube feeds or even TPN to get your weight up if necessary, a nutritionist, following the gastroparesis diet and with every flare go back to step one, protein shakes diluted with the milk of your choice (I love rice and coconut), follow the low FODMAP diet too, and call your doctors office for advice if they have nurses they can help or the doctor might have an afterhours number. Best of luck.

...oh...my...GOD. This sounds exactly like me! :open_mouth: 1 little high fiber granola bar = huge stomach distention 10 minutes later. High fat intake = cramps/pain. Moderate calories = too stuffed (and hesitant) to eat because I'm still full from earlier. And to add a few things, I've noticed I feel better when eating overcooked food like slow-cooking soups/stews. Or refined carbs. I can't handle medium to high protein diet either by the way. The less animal products, the better. And I can't handle raw veggies/fruits well, with the exception of melons. I really don't think I have an eating disorder. In fact, yesterday I got another body fat check since the last 3 to see how my fitness progress is going. Am down another 3% despite gaining 10 pounds of weight over the past several months which I'm pretty sure is from some "build up" left behind since the rest of my body looks leaner (except for my frequent bloated stomach). I probably have what you have. Just need to find a GI doctor in this area who takes my insurance :(
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest not working out until your body can get fed and absorb nutrients.