How come I have more energy the less I eat?

Options
KrazyKrissyy
KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
It doesn't matter what macronutrient my meal primarily consists of. And it doesn't matter how big or small the meal is. Once I eat, my energy goes downhill. I exercise best on an empty stomach/fasted. I can focus, study, test, and do homework better without eating. I can easily go 24 hours without any food (and have). The more "roughage" I have inside me, the worse I feel, and by roughage I mean food. When I do eat (even a small meal) my body becomes fatigued, crampy, upset, and my focus isn't as good. My appetite doesn't even peak until the evening. I already stopped eating gluten, peanuts, and lactose as I was tested allergic but have tried elimination methods and changing macros. At this point I've realized it's not the type of food but the fact that food is there in the first place. My question is...why does my system prefer to be empty for full functionality and daily performances?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ^ Agree with all the above.

You can get away with abusing your body like that for a while, but eventually you're going to crater.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Your posting history suggests that you have an eating disorder, and this post is concerning.

You have a history of starting posts asking about very low calorie intakes, then came back and said you had gastroparesis, and said that you were eating more and better and were over your restricting ways...

And now here you are with this.

You probably feel best without food because you have a long history of a disordered relationship with it and need help dealing with that. Please see a professional.

I have gastroparesis but I recently went on a forum for people with digestive issues and the others didn't have this with it (the higher energy on low-no food). And please stop assuming I still have an ED. There's a difference between starving yourself to lose weight and avoiding food because it causes digestive discomfort, chronic diahhrea/constipation and fatigue. Think of medication. It's needed for patients. But there are cases where the side effects are so extreme, it outweighs the benefits of the medicine. And sometimes those patients even start skipping doses to avoid the horrible side effects. Same concept.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited December 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ^ Agree with all the above.

You can get away with abusing your body like that for a while, but eventually you're going to crater.
    It's a double edge sword because I seem to "abuse" it after eating (read my post-meal complications). Any suggestions, doc?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    I can see how you might be associating a full digestive system with discomfort if you in fact have a digestive disorder. Our brains and psyche are pretty complicated and I know if I grab onto something and start believing it, I come up with all kinds of confirmation bias arguments.

What I'm saying is what you believe you make true.

You do need psychological help. This isn't a "thing" that is normal and the cognitive (thinking) problems you are having could very well be being caused by your malnutrition/under-eating AND it will get worse.

Please seek help other than a forum.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    I'm not assuming you have an ED, just sharing my experience having had one. When I was anorexic I always felt better without food. I felt better being hungry, in fact I thrived off that feeling. I used to get such mental clarity and energy from not eating for 24+ hours. I convinced myself that my extreme hunger was nausea, ergo I should avoid eating because it will worsen the nausea. Physically I was dying, but psychologically I was accomplishing my goals.

What did you end up doing about it? Like I mentioned earlier, when I do eat, I'm prone to cramps, fatigue, diarrhea, headaches, distended stomach, etc. even impaction (worst pain ever). It's a catch-22.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Your posting history suggests that you have an eating disorder, and this post is concerning.

You have a history of starting posts asking about very low calorie intakes, then came back and said you had gastroparesis, and said that you were eating more and better and were over your restricting ways...

You probably feel best without food because you have a long history of a disordered relationship with it and need help dealing with that. Please see a professional.

I have gastroparesis but I recently went on a forum for people with digestive issues and the others didn't have this with it (the higher energy on low-no food). And please stop assuming I still have an ED. There's a difference between starving yourself to lose weight and avoiding food because it causes digestive discomfort, chronic diahhrea/constipation and fatigue. Think of medication. It's needed for patients. But there are cases where the side effects are so extreme, it outweighs the benefits of the medicine. And sometimes those patients even start skipping doses to avoid the horrible side effects. Same concept.

You never get rid of an ED. You manage it. You live in recovery. You remain vigilant to it creeping back.

You certainly do not turn around from it in months.

So the solution is to trigger my severe digestive symptoms by eating regularly? I really don't understand how this is an ED when I'm just avoiding what is causing the problems. I'm not doing it to lose weight. If my stomach and colon weren't this crazy, I wouldn't have to avoid eating to feel comfortable.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options

You never get rid of an ED. You manage it. You live in recovery. You remain vigilant to it creeping back.

So the solution is to trigger my severe digestive symptoms by eating regularly? I really don't understand how this is an ED when I'm just avoiding what is causing the problems. I'm not doing it to lose weight. If my stomach and colon weren't this crazy, I wouldn't have to avoid eating to feel comfortable.

If you can't understand what's wrong with not eating and starving yourself, you definitely need help beyond the scope of this forum.

How do I eat without digestive complications? What would you personally do if you had no availability to your doctor for the next 3 weeks and every time you ate, you had a myriad of digestive problems, drop in energy, headaches etc. Put yourself in my shoes. What exactly would you do? Suggestions?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had a different breakfast this week that was a lot harder on my stomach. My performance dropped in all areas including running the stairs. If I had a do-over I'd eat something different or eat less.

Nevertheless once digested that meal still served me.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

If you can't understand what's wrong with not eating and starving yourself, you definitely need help beyond the scope of this forum.

How do I eat without digestive complications? What would you personally do if you had no availability to your doctor for the next 3 weeks and every time you ate, you had a myriad of digestive problems, drop in energy, headaches etc. Put yourself in my shoes. What exactly would you do? Suggestions?

Doctor, as soon as possible.
    Your GP will likely write a referral for a gastroenterologist.