Could you date/befriend a smelly person?

Options
MsAmandaNJ
MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
Let's say you meet online and totally hit it off, then you meet up and are shocked at how they smell (smell-o-vision still isn't a thing). What would you do?

I personally find certain smells unbearable, they turn my stomach. For example, if the person was a barista and smelled of coffee all the time, I'd have to keep it online. One woman I met just smelled unclean, I couldn't be around her.

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    Options
    Smelly where?
    In your nose.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Smelly is a deal breaker.. I will wait for smell-a-vision before I meet up in person.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hmm..that's a tough one for me...Depends on the smell I guess....if it's just a perfume or food thing, I don't mind much....BUT unclean is different...I'll literally leave a store if the BO on someone get's into my nose....I could not date a stinky person, would probably even call off the date before the evening was started...And I abhor the smell of smoke, but hubs is a 1.5 pack a day smoker, so I "suck it up" pretty literally.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    If you own a dog, you already know the answer to this question.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Had a friend who was very clean and hygienic but I could always smell when she was having her time of month. Sicked me out and I wondered why if I could smell it she couldn't. But I didn't treat her any differently, she was still my friend. But being in the car with her was a bit rough.
    This puts so much context to my original question B)

Smelly persons don't know they are smelly. Do them a favour and inform them.

The amount of my Indian brothers I bought cologne for with a kind post-it note is countless. Friendship lost but I did them a favour.

They remember me as a rude, ego-centric prick but they started using cologne ;)

You just keep it up, you're doing a favour for the rest of us! xo
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    Let's say you meet online and totally hit it off, then you meet up and are shocked at how they smell (smell-o-vision still isn't a thing). What would you do?

I personally find certain smells unbearable, they turn my stomach. For example, if the person was a barista and smelled of coffee all the time, I'd have to keep it online. One woman I met just smelled unclean, I couldn't be around her.

Date- no
    Befriend- yes
    But also depends on the smell and why.
    If someone drowned themselves in perfume or cologne it'd be a migraine trigger for me so I probably wouldn't want to be around them much.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    Options

I don't have a dog, but I think I get what you're saying.

I know, for me, I couldn't befriend someone who offends my nose - thought I made that clear in my original post. I was asking for the opinions of people in the community.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    Options
    Had a friend who was very clean and hygienic but I could always smell when she was having her time of month. Sicked me out and I wondered why if I could smell it she couldn't. But I didn't treat her any differently, she was still my friend. But being in the car with her was a bit rough.

The amount of my Indian brothers I bought cologne for with a kind post-it note is countless. Friendship lost but I did them a favour.

Depends on how much of said cologne they use. Also, if they're not addressing the root of the smell and wearing cologne, they're just combining smells.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

Depends on how much of said cologne they use. Also, if they're not addressing the root of the smell and wearing cologne, they're just combining smells.

Truth there. I've also left the room because of too much Polo, Axe, etc...
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I'm an advocate of Cutaway's approach, tell them, when they address it then sure we can spend more time together. I once had a guy I had to "tell off" as his manager for smelling, that was a hard one.
  • JustMissTracy
    edited December 2016
    Options

Offtopic, sorry! I have a new old dog...a lady up the street was talking to me while walking Harley the other day, and he started howling at her...she put her hand out, and he freaked, reared and started barking, wouldn't stop barking till we were far from her...I was gonna offer to walk with her, and thought "Maybe he knows something I don't"...added...that was pretty much the first bark we've heard in the two weeks we've had him
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If it was someone I just met I probably wouldn't say anything and wouldn't date them. That being said, if my BF stinks, which he usually does not, I will tell him with no problem.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    No way, it'll make me sick to my stomach and we won't be able to hang out much so what's the point
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Smelly is kind of a deal breaker for me. I mean you don't have to wear cologne all the time but if you flat out stink, then I just can't.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options

Smelly with someone new would be a deal-breaker for me.I think you'd be doing her a favor by telling her. My sister has no sense of smell, so I'm sure this is true for others, as well. If she gets angry with you and never speaks to you again, at least it might inspire her to make a change before she pursues other relationships.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    Smelly is kind of a deal breaker for me. I mean you don't have to wear cologne all the time but if you flat out stink, then I just can't.

WTF would someone flag this??? Gheezus people. I answered the question.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    Options

It's ridiculous, happens to me too.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

Lots of flags today