Does alcohol play an important part in your life?

Options
13»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    For me no it does not. Alcohol really has never been my thang except socially for example with my girl friends.. I have an occasional glass of wine..

I talked about this with my husband about this a week ago, how I seemed to not like to drink any more or how that bottle of wine I bought at Thanksgiving is still in the fridge.. he said, "cause you do not need that any more"

Oh yeah and I have terrible and sometimes horrid sleep patterns.. I attribute that to my age and being female..
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I drink now usually once on the weekends, I stay away from beer because I feel bloated, I usually like to have a margarita or vodka w/ water. I don't want to extra calories and I don't drink sodas. However I am experimenting and trying to lessen my weekend consumption to few and far between hoping it helps my weight loss!
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    I love the taste of beer, yes it's empty calories but it tastes great after a hard days work and the kids are yelling and screaming for stuff that can wait. As for sleeping, I have sleep apnea so I have to wear a mask to bed and it gives me a full sound nights sleep. there are also natural sleeping pills out there that will get you tired before bed but not knock you out to the world.

Camomile tea is also good.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. Drank beer and made a lot of bad decisions while drunk. After a lifetime I quit 12/31/04 at age 56.
    Have not missed it.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I guess probably yes since most of my social gatherings include it. Many of the things I participate in sporting wise end up with social drinks after. Play dates if it's in the afternoon and the other mom is home include drinks. I'm a housewife it's what we do
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I don't know if "important" is the word I'd use as it relates to me. I drink almost everyday. It helps me unwind and takes my mind off the stress that consumes me. I do realize I shouldn't use stress as an excuse to drink but drinks help.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I can take it or leave it, but I need it to get through a first date lololol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Important isn't a word I would use, but I do rather enjoy a glass of wine while prepping dinner and sometimes a second while eating dinner. I used to enjoy beer, but pretty much gave that up when I was losing weight. Don't really drink liquor except for special occasions.

At 51, and menopausal, wine has....umm... made the transition smoother. :D
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I used to drink .. a lot . Then I became saved under the grace of Jesus Christ and I lost interest in drinking which was amazing because I would drink a whole 5th to myself in one night and sought alcohol when stressed to relax. I have not had alcohol for almost 2 years :) My skin is better , my weight is better, and ultimately i have a glow I did not have before..

I have great respect for you and others like you. While I love sampling and crafting, I have the greatest respect for those who have the self awareness to realize that this is not something for you. Bless you.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    Drinking less which just means I want to drink better quality stuff. If I'm having a beer, it can't be the swill (Bud light) my buddies drink. Give me a Guinness or the like. Scotch, I like Belvenies. Local distillery makes a good gin that goes well with diet tonic. And wine. My dad makes more than he drinks (he just likes making it) and I get enough to keep me going.

All logged and within my calorie limits. But I'm not going without alcohol.

I see this as event oriented - if I'm on a float trip or in a hot humid climate I'm going for the light stuff that won't weigh me down. Cooler climates demand a heartier brew like a solid porter, stout, or a seasonal spiced drink.

My grandfather used to make moonshine back in the day and had a still running in the boiler room of the USS Missouri (interesting story when the skipper found this out). When he passed on he gave me a cigar box with all his still designs and mash recipes, so to me this is legacy and he lives on through me.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my bourbon. Usually have a couple shots every evening when I get home from work. I have a full bar in my home. Wine Refrigerator. Another refrigerator for mixers. Keg Tap. Sink. At any one time there are probably 40 bottles of alcohol behind my bar. Stocked for friends, because I only drink Bourbon. So, there are probably a dozen different types of bourbon on the bar counter.

Is it a problem? Nope. I've never missed work due to alcohol. I don't do stupid things when drinking. I don't drink and drive. A relaxing evening for me is BBQing, smoking a cigar and enjoying a single barrel bourbon.
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Important? No. Enjoyable? Yes.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    It doesn't play an important part of my life....now. I had a few party years and if I'm going to have a drink it's a gin and coke or vodka cranberry. I like to keep it simple. Never enjoyed the taste of beer and yes, I've tried quite a few varieties. It just isn't my thing. Non of it is my thing any more. I don't enjoy the hangovers and it just isn't that fun. Now I did have a tiny little beer on Thanksgiving and I am officially a lightweight now. Even got a slight hangover from one half sized beer if you can believe it, My body rejects it.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Its not important. but i do partake, It takes for ever for me to get buzzed, so I just have a few on the week end, with dinner. or some shots... or beer and shots... lol
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    No, I don't know anyone with a first or last name of 'alcohol'
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I think good craft beer in particular is more about feeding the soul than about numbing the mind. It can truly be an exquisite culinary art form.

I love this time of year too when the winter brews come out...it's my favorite time of year.

Also, a good craft beer must be pored into a proper glass so that you can relish in the color.

ETA: I also enjoy a nice bourbon on the rocks with a cigar.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would say a pretty significant part of my life. I grew up loving wine and alcohol in general. Our family functions have wine and spirits flowing, my husband, father and father-in-law all belong to a wine club. Nothing like a beautiful Italian dinner and a good wine to go along with it.. ahhh ;)

Ahh yes Italian food and good BOTTLE of wine!! I'm in heaven!
  • elephant_eater
    elephant_eater Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Used to work at a craft brewery, so it used to play a very important role in my professional life. I have since left and it still plays a pretty important part of my social life since a lot of my friends are into the craft been scene. Ironically enough, I stopped drinking nearly as much after I left that job and gain a bunch of weight. Mostly from 1-3 times a week working on the bottling line for 10 hours.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think good craft beer in particular is more about feeding the soul than about numbing the mind. It can truly be an exquisite culinary art form.

I love this time of year too when the winter brews come out...it's my favorite time of year.

Also, a good craft beer must be pored into a proper glass so that you can relish in the color.

ETA: I also enjoy a nice bourbon on the rocks with a cigar.

I got into pipe a few pipe clubs and enjoying the ritual of pairing tobaccos with drinks, packing the pipe and just relaxing for a good smoke. There really is something behind the rituals around this.