Maintaining weight but eating too many "bad" carbs

Options
13»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, if the low fat food has added sugar and therefore more calories than the full fat version, this could happen.

But not all low fat foods have added sugar - some have artificial sweetener( eg some yogurts) and some are just low fat ( eg milk)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    low-fat manufactured foods usually have fat purposefully reduced. Reducing fat often decreases its taste appeal. Food manufacturers often add sugars to increase the taste appeal. It is no coincidence that increasing sugar content of low-fat foods, increases the carb content which spikes blood glucose higher than fatty foods, which then spikes insulin, which crushes blood glucose, which stimulates hunger more than fatty foods. When consumers eat more carbs/low-fat foods to address the increased hunger then low-fat manufacturers get to sell higher volumes and consumers tend to eat more low-fat calories because hunger level is higher than it was for fatty foods.

That's how low-fat foods tend to make you fatter.

That may be true for you but I don't think it's a universal (or even American) truth. I don't find carbs or low fat foods stimulate my hunger any more than any other food. And depending on what I'm having with it, some low fat foods (for instance low fat cottage cheese and fruit or vegetables) will fill me up for a long time.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    low-fat manufactured foods usually have fat purposefully reduced. Reducing fat often decreases its taste appeal. Food manufacturers often add sugars to increase the taste appeal. It is no coincidence that increasing sugar content of low-fat foods, increases the carb content which spikes blood glucose higher than fatty foods, which then spikes insulin, which crushes blood glucose, which stimulates hunger more than fatty foods. When consumers eat more carbs/low-fat foods to address the increased hunger then low-fat manufacturers get to sell higher volumes and consumers tend to eat more low-fat calories because hunger level is higher than it was for fatty foods.

That's how low-fat foods tend to make you fatter.

I have yet to see a single low fat food that has actually substantially increased sugar compared to non low fat. Do you have a concrete example?
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone. Just thought that this article was very helpful to me and may be to others. This is the author of Refuse to Regain, a book I found very helpful with my maintenance. This is her latest article and it speaks to exactly what I am experiencing. Thought it might be helpful to others in general, on the great carb debate. Enjoy! http://www.refusetoregain.com/2017/01/do-i-have-to-give-up-carbs.html
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your "bad" carbs, and relax it is working...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    lowfat and fat-free processed foods tend to make Americans fatter.

Lowfat sounds good but dietary fat does not make you fat.

I'll agree that fat on it's own does not make people fat - too many calories does.

But "lowfat and fat-free processed foods tend to make Americans fatter." is absurd. Any food will make you fatter if you eat enough of it. And are lowfat and fat-free foods ok for Canadians since it's just Americans that get fatter eating them?

QFT. I've successfully employed a low-fat diet (because fat doesn't satiate me in the least) to lose weight and lower my cholesterol (with very good ratios) simply because I've controlled my caloric intake. I know this is blasphemy, but I actually prefer some of the low-fat and fat-free versions of some products. They have a less glommy mouth feel to me.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad!! If you are maintaining don't worry
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    Hey, everyone. Just thought that this article was very helpful to me and may be to others. This is the author of Refuse to Regain, a book I found very helpful with my maintenance. This is her latest article and it speaks to exactly what I am experiencing. Thought it might be helpful to others in general, on the great carb debate. Enjoy! http://www.refusetoregain.com/2017/01/do-i-have-to-give-up-carbs.html

Oy. I cannot abide doctors who do not understand the functioning of insulin and explain it to people independent of energy balance.

• Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    anything in moderation is fine :) dont deprive yourself!
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Saying that there are bad carbs is like saying that there are bad hours in the day.
  • deby32904
    deby32904 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have exact same prob for exact same years. Some part is due to aging. If you're doing the same as 2 yrs ago your metabolism will slows. I agree w/most readers. It's not Carb craving, it's sugar craving but think most responders r dead wrong when saying it doesn't matter what u eat as long as u stay within daily goals - won't hurt you. I had this conversation with my Dr TODAY & he said my skipping meals & foods in exchange for slices of chocolate fudge cake & Frostys along w/steroid injections is what made me gain 12lbs over the holidays (and had NOT gone over daily cals) & I had bumped up personal training from 4 to 6x weekly. He said sugars have whole different reaction to body making it hold fat instead of releasing blah, blah (wish I'd taken notes) & I needed to cut down as much as possible & add lean protein which is hard since I'm on soft/liquid diet due to gastroparisis (Google if int). Also I have Hashimoto's disease (Google) & even though I take synthroid it doesn't work 100%.
    Hope this helps! Deby
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    deby32904 wrote: »
    I have exact same prob for exact same years. Some part is due to aging. If you're doing the same as 2 yrs ago your metabolism will slows. I agree w/most readers. It's not Carb craving, it's sugar craving but think most responders r dead wrong when saying it doesn't matter what u eat as long as u stay within daily goals - won't hurt you. I had this conversation with my Dr TODAY & he said my skipping meals & foods in exchange for slices of chocolate fudge cake & Frostys along w/steroid injections is what made me gain 12lbs over the holidays (and had NOT gone over daily cals) & I had bumped up personal training from 4 to 6x weekly. He said sugars have whole different reaction to body making it hold fat instead of releasing blah, blah (wish I'd taken notes) & I needed to cut down as much as possible & add lean protein which is hard since I'm on soft/liquid diet due to gastroparisis (Google if int). Also I have Hashimoto's disease (Google) & even though I take synthroid it doesn't work 100%.
    Hope this helps! Deby

If that's what your doctor actually said, you need a new doctor because he obviously understands absolutely nothing about how human physiology works. Sugars don't "make your body hold fat", there is no net fat storage if you are in a caloric deficit. That's a scientific fact. You have a lot of medical issues which can effect the "CO" side of CICO, but you don't gain 12 pounds from eating sweets and staying within your calorie deficit.
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had this conversation with my Dr TODAY & he said my skipping meals & foods in exchange for slices of chocolate fudge cake & Frostys along w/steroid injections is what made me gain 12lbs over the holidays (and had NOT gone over daily cals)
    Could be that certain medications like those steroid injections make your metabolism slower. That could cause you to stop being in a calorie deficit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    Steroids will also make you retain water ( we've all seen the puffy faces of people on high doses )
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Hope this helps! Deby

If that's what your doctor actually said, you need a new doctor because he obviously understands absolutely nothing about how human physiology works. Sugars don't "make your body hold fat", there is no net fat storage if you are in a caloric deficit. That's a scientific fact. You have a lot of medical issues which can effect the "CO" side of CICO, but you don't gain 12 pounds from eating sweets and staying within your calorie deficit.

To add - you may have misunderstood his mentioning that after eating carbs/protein and insulin goes up, indeed fat release is stopped.
    Now he may have called carbs increased blood sugar, which is indeed what all the carbs (bread, fruit, vegies) eventually do.

But it is ONLY during the time of elevated insulin that fat release is stopped, and the carbs are sent off to refill muscle and liver stores, and used for any immediate energy needs. Any eaten fat is used for energy too, or stored if not needed right then. Protein as amino acids sent off to cells for their myriad of uses.

But after that 2-4 hrs (depending on how much you ate), insulin is back down and normal fat release is on for the vast majority of your day's energy needs.

Considering the twinkie diet guy lost weight when the calories was still less than he burned - you likely had terrible estimates for the amount you were eating - and side effects of the med's - water retained.