My daughter scoffed at...

Options
124»

Replies

• Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's good to have short and long term goals. You'll have to hit her goal weight before you hit hers. There's no reason you can't do both. However, setting the bar too high (or too far away) can get discouraging.

Personally, I'd even set an intermediary goal between where you are now and her suggested 140. Hit that goal, celebrate the success, and refocus your efforts on the next goal. When you hit 140 then focus on your 125 goal.

I try to focus on 10lb increments. It's just reasonable enough for me to do in a month with a healthy diet and consistent workout schedule, but if I'm off that goal it's not like I missed it by a mile. It helps keep me encouraged.

Good luck and God bless!
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    It's a goal...you head downwards and reassess as you get closer and you watch your body change

You smile and nod at daughter

Kids, they know everything don't they :)

^^^ Wow, this is great advice!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 38 and 5'1. anything under 135ish makes me look SICK on my frame. but thats me.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    im 38 and 5'1. anything under 135ish makes me look SICK on my frame. but thats me.

In my early 20's I was 111lbs. I still had big boobs and curvy hips (I have wide hips). Honestly I don't know if I will look different at 135 than 125 its been so long.

hahahaha I've never looked sick thats for sure:)

In fact even at 135 in my 30s because of my hips I never could wear less than a size 8. Not that dress size matter but just to give you an idea.

I'm pretty sure I don't have body dysmorphia at least not in the normal sense, I've gone from 233 to 192 and I'm thinking "dang I look good" :). I've attached a pic for frame of reference for my body shape from 233 to 199 I've since lost 7 more lbs.

xxaohvphz7q3.jpg
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Frame size makes such a big difference. I'm a bit older than you, but the same height, and at 135, I most definitely looked like I could still lose a few. Heck, I looked like it at 125.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options

Frame size makes such a big difference. I'm a bit older than you, but the same height, and at 135, I most definitely looked like I could still lose a few. Heck, I looked like it at 125.

QFT. I can't speak to OP's frame size, but I don't think I look like an unhealthy stick waif at OP's daughter's size, 5'5" and 120 pounds . . . at age 60.

Of course, I am built like a 14-year-old boy - maybe a polite person would call it "an athletic build" or some such thing (heh)? ;) - wide shoulders, no hips to speak of, and literally no breasts (post mastectomy).

u5d4kqz4izjs.jpg

Like I said before, @leanjogreen18 (OP): You'll know.
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    You look awesome @AnnPT77! The pic above is me the OP. I think my frame size is medium or average, not small for sure.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You look awesome @AnnPT77! The pic above is me the OP. I think my frame size is medium or average, not small for sure.

Aw, thanks! I thought that was you up above, but like I was trying to say I can't really visualize how X weight will look on anyone else . . . heck, I couldn't even visualize how X weight would look on me, at this age, until I saw it. ;) I was aiming for 130 initially (as a provisional goal), but got there and decided a bit lighter would be better.

I've heard hints of "lighter looks sick or sad on older women" on other threads, too. I don't think that's a "for sure" for us, any more than it is for anyone of any other age. Not intending to fish for feedback by posting a photo, just trying to illustrate my belief that lower in the BMI range can be fine for some frame types, at any age. I have no reason (or inclination) to doubt anyone else's belief that they look better higher in the BMI range - that's why it's a range! ;)

(edited to fix typos)
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    Totally didn't get that you were fishing for feedback. I truly appreciate you sharing. I have larger hips so I think I will look fine at a lower bmi too.