Ketogenic Diet

Options
Anyone else do a Keto or LCHF diet? Friend me up!

Replies

• chipjonz01
    chipjonz01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started doing low carb on July 16th 2016 because nothing else was working. So far since I did that I have lost 16 pounds. I am planning on this being a lifestyle change and not a diet because I'm tired of dieting. Can you give me the names of the LC FB pages? I will follow them, since I can use any advice I can get.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I do LCHF
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Keto here too!
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Going to start ketogenic lifestyle soon!
  • dannygurl3044
    dannygurl3044 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started A keto lifestyle about a week and a half ago and I've lost 8lbs so far. I know most of that is water weight, but I love the energy I have now.
  • klspaeth
    klspaeth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's encouraging to hear. I am about to start the Keto lifestyle 1st of the year and I'm nervous and soon excited! My goal is to loose about 100 lbs by 12/31/17. Hearing about others that are loosing weight this way gets me more excited and confident. I've been researching info over the last 1-2 months can I ask what are your favorite Keto websites?
  • TKattWood
    TKattWood Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a keto diet tomorrow. I've been gaining weight steadily for the last 10 years and I'm really hoping that the keto diet will help me break the cycle. Feel free to friend me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    atjays wrote: »
    I don't quite fit a "keto" diet but I keep my carbs fairly restricted. I did full keto several years ago and the "keto flu" I got was crippling, won't do that again lol

The keto flu ismostly due to an electrolyte imbalance. You lose water and electrolytes (Na, Mg, K) when you drop carbs. If you increase sodium to 3000-5000mg per day (1-2 tsp) you can avoid the keto flu. Some need to add some potassium and magnesium supplements too if they let sodium get low.

Most will experience a slight dip in energy during exercise for a month or so while getting fat adapted, but it doesn't effect performance much.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bassklan wrote: »

I've said this on other keto threads before, but even though I had great success with weight loss and energy and satiety on a keto diet, I badly injured my intestines due to chronic constipation after being on it for about a year and a half. I never really had regular bowel movements so I didn't think anything of it when I was only going once or twice a week (keto diet has very very very little soluble fiber) until I ended up with a fissure and debilitating, stabbing pains in my large intestine.

This outcome seems kind of rare and it appears most people can do keto unscathed, but... It took me almost another year of medicating to heal and I still have bowel issues. If I did it again, I'd supplement the diet with one sachet of Movicol a day. Metamucil isn't a bad idea either but I think it has carbs in it and you have to make sure you increase your water intake, otherwise it goes all gummy and you make any blockages worse.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    43501 wrote: »
    bassklan wrote: »

I've said this on other keto threads before, but even though I had great success with weight loss and energy and satiety on a keto diet, I badly injured my intestines due to chronic constipation after being on it for about a year and a half. I never really had regular bowel movements so I didn't think anything of it when I was only going once or twice a week (keto diet has very very very little soluble fiber) until I ended up with a fissure and debilitating, stabbing pains in my large intestine.

This outcome seems kind of rare and it appears most people can do keto unscathed, but... It took me almost another year of medicating to heal and I still have bowel issues. If I did it again, I'd supplement the diet with one sachet of Movicol a day. Metamucil isn't a bad idea either but I think it has carbs in it and you have to make sure you increase your water intake, otherwise it goes all gummy and you make any blockages worse.

For those people who usually use a great deal of fibre to keep things moving, often the increased fats, coconut oil especially, will get things moving. Almost too much so.

Low carb will usually cause constipation if someone also chooses to eat low fat (high protein).

I had chronic constipation for decades due to undiagnosed celiac disease. Even after eating GF for a few years, things were slow. The ketogenic diet solved that problem for me, completely.

Many people who eat ketogenic find that they do have BMs less due to the slightly higher meat (not protein) content of their diet. Animal products are more completely digested and used than plant matter so BMs are smaller and less frquent.

• cessie7
    cessie7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Keto helped me break a plateau. Did it just under 6 months
  • stevemunden26
    stevemunden26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been on LCHF since April 2016 and lost 20kg (about 3 Stone). I reached my target weight recently and am now maintaining my weight by working out. I continue to LCHF because of all the other benefits I've experienced including no more bad stomach (always had heartburn), more energy, better mood, improved sleep. I feel more alive than I ever have in my adult life but perhaps the biggest change is I have been "Bipolar" since about age 14, but I've had no issues at all since I started LCHF. I'm now nearly 40, and I've never been happier and never had such a long period without depression in my whole adult life! Of course I don't know for sure if this is because of LCHF, but it would be rather a coincidence especially as in fact I've been going through a very tough time in my life (which is why I decided it time to sort myself out). Good luck, and enjoy!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    @stevemunden26 That's a great success story. Congrats. :)
  • wynonacook
    wynonacook Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Brand new to this. Read about it and thought I'd give it a try. Total opposite lifestyle to what I've know for years. Low Fat, high grain, etc. Only concern is how to get fiber in the diet. Just finish making breakfast egg cups for the week. Good Luck All!!