Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is there point exercising?

2»

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    I started exercising when I started losing weight, and glad I did. Saying I feel I have a new lease on life is not an understatement. And it's only been a year...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,435 Member
    Exercise is not required but is very beneficial. However crunch's or direct ab work is not.

I agree.

Core work is good and can be part of it, but I've found walking, hiking, running, cycling, canoeing, rowing, and weightlifting to be more beneficial on many levels.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    You can lose fat without exercising, as long as you're in a calorie deficit. But whether you exercise or not, you can't control where you lose the fat from. However, building muscle definition will help give you a toned look, as well as lots of other benefits. For me, I started running because it was something I never thought I would be able to do. I started with Couch to 5k--run for one minute, walk for one minute, alternate for 20 minutes, gradually increase the run interval and decrease the walking. That first minute of running was the hardest run of my life. Now, I've finished two half marathons and many shorter races. Running gives me a goal to work toward and a huge sense of accomplishment. I'm close to my goal weight and I wish I'd started strength training sooner, but I'm doing it now and I really like the way it makes me feel. If you don't like crunches, you don't have to do crunches--there are plenty of options for both cardio and strength exercises.

Also, I would encourage you to keep an open mind. I think that even small amounts of exercise are better than no exercise. You say "surely it won't make a difference," but you might wind up being pleasantly surprised.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    I suffered from low back pain for years, but since doing regular ab workouts (Combined with back strengthening) the pain is gone. While crunches alone won't give you a six-pack if they're hidden under a layer of fat, you'll never regret strengthening your core ;)