Is CICO the real deal?

Options
samoejr
samoejr Posts: 30 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm not really convinced that CICO is the formula for weight loss/gain. I'm not questioning the ability to lose weight counting calories and eating healthy (I lost 18 kg counting calories over 15 years ago); I just don't believe excess calories are the thing that makes us fat. My parents' generation for example never knew what calories even were and they used to eat normally and still were slim. And we all have friends who eat like crazy and never workout, but are TOO thin, or at least normal weight. It's just too overwhelming counting every single thing you eat and monitoring your CICO every single day.
So what's the real deal?

Update: I know that counting calories is how you monitor your CICO (and CICO is not equal to counting calories) and I know it works, but I also lost a hell lot of weight with a nutritionist who would let me eat unlimited quantities of food, and even have vanilla ice-cream for dinner if I wanted to! So my point is there must be something else.

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    samoejr wrote: »
    You're welcome. There's an hours worth of good reading on your question in that debate forum. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,219 Member
    Options
    CICO works.

Or more specifically ... CI<CO works.

Losing weight is all about eating fewer calories than you burn. :)

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    samoejr wrote: »
    Update: I know that counting calories is how you monitor your CICO (and CICO is not equal to counting calories) and I know it works, but I also lost a hell lot of weight with a nutritionist who would let me eat unlimited quantities of food, and even have vanilla ice-cream for dinner if I wanted to! So my point is there must be something else.
    As much as weight management is about CICO, it's about sustained CICO, and thus adherence to CICO. To lose weight, you HAVE TO reduce calorie intake, and if you have lost weight, you HAVE reduced calorie intake. Over time. The problem with reducing calories is that we can be so eager to get the weight OFF, that we reduce too much, restrict too much, and we can't feel restricted for very long before we have to give up. Letting yourself eat without feeling restricted, making smart choices that appealed to you, made you more prone to adhere to the reduced amount of calories, which in turn made you lose weight. There really is no mystery.
  • SlothLady_97
    SlothLady_97 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories. Lose more weight. Eat more calories. Gain weight. It's actual simple and proven science. The reason people are more overweight now than before is because of the easy access to cheap and high calorie foods. You don't even necessarily HAVE to count calories but if you find yourself gaining weight, you need to look into how much you're eating because sometimes a very small quantity of food can be way too many calories, and cause you to gain weight. Calories are energy and if you consume more energy than what is used, then that energy will be stored as fat. There is no magical secret for weightloss, no perfect balance of macros to make you shed pounds. It's simple. Eat less. Move more.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    CICO is simplified, but yes its the real deal.
    If you eat more calories than you need, the body will store it as fat for a rainy day, and if you eat too little it will convert fat to energy.

The reason your parents generation didnt gain as much weight, is simply because they used their body more, and thus used more energy.

I keep hearing about this magical generation that wasn't overweight, but in my family we have overweight/obese people going way back-my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents etc, When we do our big family reunion (oldest person there is in their late 80s), I stick out like a sore thumb :p
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about this magical generation that wasn't overweight, but in my family we have overweight/obese people going way back-my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents etc, When we do our big family reunion (oldest person there is in their late 80s), I stick out like a sore thumb :p

Whatever your family history, there is no doubt at all that the current prevalence of obesity is unprecedented. Look at the graph on the right. The thinnest state today is way fatter than the fattest state of 25 years ago:

http://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/