Is CICO the real deal?

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You know, I hate the acronym CICO.

But conservation of energy is the governing principle of weight loss. It is fact one of the governing principles of the physical universe.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is just counting calories...counting calories =/= CICO...CICO is just the energy equation.

Also, you don't have to know exactly XXXX calories to maintain a healthy weight...I haven't counted calories in years and only have a rough idea of what I'm taking in but I maintain...just because I don't know doesn't mean CICO isn't in play.

Also, my parents were both obese at one time...so were my grandparents and great grandparents...I really don't know this magical generation of which you speak. Yes, obesity is more prevalent now, but that has more to do with the vast availability of cheap, calorie dense foods than whether or not our parents, grandparents, etc understood anything about energy balance.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Counting calories is just counting calories...counting calories =/= CICO...CICO is just the energy equation.

Also, you don't have to know exactly XXXX calories to maintain a healthy weight...I haven't counted calories in years and only have a rough idea of what I'm taking in but I maintain...just because I don't know doesn't mean CICO isn't in play.

Also, my parents were both obese at one time...so were my grandparents and great grandparents...I really don't know this magical generation of which you speak. Yes, obesity is more prevalent now, but that has more to do with the vast availability of cheap, calorie dense foods than whether or not our parents, grandparents, etc understood anything about energy balance.

I would add - and our increasingly sedentary lifestyles - to your comment about why obesity is more prevalent today than in past generations.

Agree with everything else - whether a person counts calories or not doesn't validate or invalidate CICO. It's like gravity - it's always there whether you pay attention to it or not.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    You know, I hate the acronym CICO.

But conservation of energy is the governing principle of weight loss. It is fact one of the governing principles of the physical universe.

Yep. You can't debate math.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    samoejr wrote: »
    So I'm not really convinced that CICO is the formula for weight loss/gain. I'm not questioning the ability to lose weight counting calories and eating healthy (I lost 18 kg counting calories over 15 years ago); I just don't believe excess calories are the thing that makes us fat. My parents' generation for example never knew what calories even were and they used to eat normally and still were slim. And we all have friends who eat like crazy and never workout, but are TOO thin, or at least normal weight. It's just too overwhelming counting every single thing you eat and monitoring your CICO every single day.
    So what's the real deal?

Update: I know that counting calories is how you monitor your CICO (and CICO is not equal to counting calories) and I know it works, but I also lost a hell lot of weight with a nutritionist who would let me eat unlimited quantities of food, and even have vanilla ice-cream for dinner if I wanted to! So my point is there must be something else.

What does "unlimited quantities of food"? How many calories are in this? What was your energy output? If you lost weight during this time you were in a caloric deficit. The fact you were ignorant of the details does not invalidate a physical principle.

You've essentially answered your own question. This is something that was not tracked previously. Life in Western society takes very limited physical effort. Everyone thinks of gross motor movements, but even little things like power steering, TV remotes, telecommuting, etc. have removed the need for the necessary action for good health.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Barring literally a legitimate and extremely serious medical condition (I have hypothyroidism, BTW, so I'm not being cavalier about this statement), generally, yes. Legitimate and serious meaning: the issue doesn't just affect your weight...because metabolism DOESN'T just affect your weight. So come on now. Someone who legitimately has such a slow metabolism that s/he can "eat 800 calories" (or whatever you'll see people say) "and still gain" is probably currently hospitalized, facing renal shutdown and possibly with a breathing tube (or else is on his/her way there). You don't have a metabolism so seriously damaged that you can eat toddler calories but are still walking around (and typing on the internet to complain).

That sounds mean and is severely truncated but you get the idea. If people literally, actually, realistically could consistently eat tiny amounts but "still gain," then in former periods in history, you would see 75% overweight people just like you see today (in the U.S. and I believe the UK is catching up, as are some other countries). You'd have seen the Allies releasing chubby people from Buchenwald.

Beyond that, CICO will indeed be slightly different for everyone - meaning, other things being equal, perhaps you can eat 50 more calories than I can and you'll lose weight and I'll come to a halt. But that STILL means I have to eat those 50 fewer calories...it is still CICO. I still have to eat less than I expend in order to lose weight. So do you. :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    My parents generation included my parents. Mom was born 1929 and by the time I was aware by about 1967 she was obese. Dad was born 1920 and was overweight until 1974 when primitive medical treatment of an ulcer was treated by removal of 2/3 of his stomach. Nowadays this is called something like "gastric bypass". There's my anecdote, which sees your anecdote and I raise you a CICO.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    So I'm not really convinced that CICO is the formula for weight loss/gain. I'm not questioning the ability to lose weight counting calories and eating healthy (I lost 18 kg counting calories over 15 years ago); I just don't believe excess calories are the thing that makes us fat. My parents' generation for example never knew what calories even were and they used to eat normally and still were slim. And we all have friends who eat like crazy and never workout, but are TOO thin, or at least normal weight. It's just too overwhelming counting every single thing you eat and monitoring your CICO every single day.
    So what's the real deal?

Update: I know that counting calories is how you monitor your CICO (and CICO is not equal to counting calories) and I know it works, but I also lost a hell lot of weight with a nutritionist who would let me eat unlimited quantities of food, and even have vanilla ice-cream for dinner if I wanted to! So my point is there must be something else.

What does "unlimited quantities of food"? How many calories are in this? What was your energy output? If you lost weight during this time you were in a caloric deficit. The fact you were ignorant of the details does not invalidate a physical principle.

You've essentially answered your own question. This is something that was not tracked previously. Life in Western society takes very limited physical effort. Everyone thinks of gross motor movements, but even little things like power steering, TV remotes, telecommuting, etc. have removed the need for the necessary action for good health.

These thin people eating "unlimited quantities of food" but too thin could be bulimic.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about this magical generation that wasn't overweight, but in my family we have overweight/obese people going way back-my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents etc, When we do our big family reunion (oldest person there is in their late 80s), I stick out like a sore thumb :p

Whatever your family history, there is no doubt at all that the current prevalence of obesity is unprecedented. Look at the graph on the right. The thinnest state today is way fatter than the fattest state of 25 years ago:

http://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

Love this link! I wonder how New York, Montana, Ohio and Minnesota did it. From the link:
    U.S. adult obesity rates decreased in four states (Minnesota, Montana, New York and Ohio), increased in two (Kansas and Kentucky) and remained stable in the rest, between 2014 and 2015. This marks the first time in the past decade that any states have experienced decreases — aside from a decline in Washington, D.C. in 2010.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I think you cannot argue against CICO without knowing what others ate and expended as well as your own energy exchange, even if you want to disregard the science or perhaps I should say if you want to look for answers other than CICO.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Barring literally a legitimate and extremely serious medical condition (I have hypothyroidism, BTW, so I'm not being cavalier about this statement), generally, yes. Legitimate and serious meaning: the issue doesn't just affect your weight...because metabolism DOESN'T just affect your weight. So come on now. Someone who legitimately has such a slow metabolism that s/he can "eat 800 calories" (or whatever you'll see people say) "and still gain" is probably currently hospitalized, facing renal shutdown and possibly with a breathing tube (or else is on his/her way there). You don't have a metabolism so seriously damaged that you can eat toddler calories but are still walking around (and typing on the internet to complain).

That sounds mean and is severely truncated but you get the idea. If people literally, actually, realistically could consistently eat tiny amounts but "still gain," then in former periods in history, you would see 75% overweight people just like you see today (in the U.S. and I believe the UK is catching up, as are some other countries). You'd have seen the Allies releasing chubby people from Buchenwald.

Beyond that, CICO will indeed be slightly different for everyone - meaning, other things being equal, perhaps you can eat 50 more calories than I can and you'll lose weight and I'll come to a halt. But that STILL means I have to eat those 50 fewer calories...it is still CICO. I still have to eat less than I expend in order to lose weight. So do you. :)

To add to this, if anyone is interested in the statistics of metabolism:

https://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
    Extending this into practical terms and assuming an average expenditure of 2000kcal a day, 68% of the population falls into the range of 1840-2160kcal daily while 96% of the population is in the range of 1680-2320kcal daily. Comparing somebody at or below the 5th percentile with somebody at or above the 95th percentile would yield a difference of possibly 600kcal daily, and the chance of this occurring (comparing the self to a friend) is 0.50%, assuming two completely random persons.

So as you can tell, there variations in metabolism alone, then you also have to factor in medical conditions and other components of TDEE.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    So what's the real deal?

These thin people eating "unlimited quantities of food" but too thin could be bulimic.

I'd say EDs make up a miniscule percentage of it. IMO the more likely scenarios are:

1) If you're not with them 24 hours a day, you don't know what/how much they eat in the big picture. Being with somebody for one meal a couple times a week or whatever isn't representative of their overall diet. I know a number of people who only eat one big meal a day, with a couple tiny snacks thrown in at other times. If I based my opinion of their eating habits on the occasional meal I share with them, I might think they were huge eaters - when the actual fact is that they eat a lot less than I'd think.

2) They're most likely a lot more active - both NEAT and exercise. Some people are on their feet all day, exercise regularly and fidget even when they're (rarely) sitting still. They don't have "faster metabolisms", they just move more, so they're burning more calories than a sedentary person.

3) One's concept of "eating unlimited quantities of food" is skewed. There are some people who would freak at seeing somebody eat a hamburger, or a few cookies. "OMGZZZZZ, he/she eats ALL teh foodz!". Read through the multitudes of posts here on MFP by people who claim they're eating 800 calories a day and can't possibly eat anymore because they're just stuffed. To somebody with such a twisted perspective of food, a normal dinner for many people would be "unlimited quantities of food" to them.

As to the OP - whether you count and log them or not, or whether you even acknowledge their existence, it's a simple and well-established fact that calories are what drive weight gain/loss. It doesn't matter if your dinner is vanilla ice cream or kale which was tenderly hand-raised in your organic garden and watered with elves' tears - in the overall picture, if you're eating more calories than you're expending, you'll gain weight; if you eat less calories than you're expending, you'll lose weight. Period.

I do agree just putting that out there that there are thin people who eat unlimited quantities they um just don't keep it.