Thoughts on a weightlifting belt?

Options
2»

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I deadlift 405lbs without one. I have no plans of increasing above 405 lbs. I have reached my deadlift limit maybe and my bropinion on belts is that they impede more than they help.

just curious what you base your "bropinions" on?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have an Inzer. It's purple.

Mine's purple, too. :p
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I want a purple Inzer belt - to go with my purple singlet - but their website currently says that anything other than black will take up to 10 weeks, which would put me much closer to my meet than I'd like to use new equipment. :'(
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    I deadlift 405lbs without one. I have no plans of increasing above 405 lbs. I have reached my deadlift limit maybe and my bropinion on belts is that they impede more than they help.

If I pull sumo the tail of my belt gets caught on my arm sometimes. I call impedance.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

If I pull sumo the tail of my belt gets caught on my arm sometimes. I call impedance.

Some people - for that reason, as well as potential issues with the buckle while getting into position - wear their belts backward.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Brosperience, obviously
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Some people - for that reason, as well as potential issues with the buckle while getting into position - wear their belts backward.

I've been trying the tuck just the tail and have the rest stick out in front of me like I've seen on the interwebs. I thought that was sooo dumb until I tried it and problem was solved. HA
    Backwards belt would be interesting, but I think I'd need someone to strap me in and I'm not sure anyone at my gym wants to get that friendly lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I only wear one if I'm maxing or working at greater than about 85% of my 1RM...which isn't very often. I don't run heavy cycles all that often.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    I have a pink Inzer single prong. I wear it when my coach tells me too. I write my meet body weight/lifts on it.
    But really..
    I don't really go by certain %'s, but right now 225 is usually "my number" for squats and deads. As I get stronger that will increase though.
    I probably wouldn't do any maximal attempts/high RPE-ish sets without it unless some dude-bro wants to rumble and say something dumb about lifting belted. In which case I would throw down if need be. Yep.
  • not_a_runner
    Options

There was a reason why I said bropinion in jest. I have nothing against belts. It's just become a mental chest thumping thing that I like to lift heavy within my limits without one ;)

Is there any reason why you have determined 405 to be your deadlift limit/no plans to exceed that?
    I'm a smallish girl and I hope to pull that within the next year.
    Jussayin...
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

This image seems like a relevant response to what you said :D !

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

My friend and I actually do this at the gym on occasion. Like, the exact phrase along with the pose.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

My friend and I actually do this at the gym on occasion. Like, the exact phrase along with the pose.

Haha that's hilarious!! I might just have to do that from now on when people pull shtick at the gym!

As for the OP, belts are great but not something to be relied on 100% of the time. I only use mine if I'm going to squat or deadlift more than 80% of my 1 rep max--like someone else already mentioned. Also, if you do volume work, sometimes your core just gets tired and may need a little assistance to help with bracing from the belt.

Everyone says inzers are the best belt possible, buut I wouldn't know. What I do know is that especially if you are buying your first belt, you don't have to drop a buttload of money on an inzer belt. I got a lever belt from strength shop USA. It's pretty and pink, and it gets the job done. It probably doesn't last as long as an inzer, but I'd say it's definitely a good cost efficient alternative ($50) and it's definitely more worth your while than getting one of those super cheapo padded belts you see at Dick's or Modell's.
  • k8millz
    k8millz Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Haha that's hilarious!! I might just have to do that from now on when people pull shtick at the gym!

As for the OP, belts are great but not something to be relied on 100% of the time. I only use mine if I'm going to squat or deadlift more than 80% of my 1 rep max--like someone else already mentioned. Also, if you do volume work, sometimes your core just gets tired and may need a little assistance to help with bracing from the belt.

Everyone says inzers are the best belt possible, buut I wouldn't know. What I do know is that especially if you are buying your first belt, you don't have to drop a buttload of money on an inzer belt. I got a lever belt from strength shop USA. It's pretty and pink, and it gets the job done. It probably doesn't last as long as an inzer, but I'd say it's definitely a good cost efficient alternative ($50) and it's definitely more worth your while than getting one of those super cheapo padded belts you see at Dick's or Modell's.

Ha! These comments are too good. Anyway! Awesome advice. I just want to improve as much as possible. I don't plan on wearing one every single time I squat or deadlift, but I'm hoping it'll at least help give me that extra push and make me buff 'n tuff like everyone on here. B)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    k8millz wrote: »

Ha! These comments are too good. Anyway! Awesome advice. I just want to improve as much as possible. I don't plan on wearing one every single time I squat or deadlift, but I'm hoping it'll at least help give me that extra push and make me buff 'n tuff like everyone on here. B)

It's mostly about safety.