Do you think weight, debt and clutter may somehow be connected?

Options
2»

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Do you think a person's weight, debt and clutter may somehow be connected?

Certainly not a causal relationship, but there is data to support a correlation. It is not always laziness as was suggested though. It is more with habits and thought processes that lead a person to be apathetic in health, finance, and life.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    So having some clutter= lack of self control, laziness, dirt, no self respect and apathy? I see it differently. I grew up in a house with both parents who are ocd about cleaning and it was the most important thing ever. They wouldn't even let me study for an exam if anything was out of place and forced me to clean instead. My mom has endless conversations about cleaning products and anxiety if people are coming over because the house isn't clean (it is spotless) I prefer a home to look like it is lived in instead of endlessly cleaning dirt that isn't there. I lived in a house that if a book was out of place it was a huge problem so yup not going to give a care if my books are crooked or my couch isn't perfect straight or I have a few papers on my table.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    IDK...I'm pretty organized and don't really have much in the way of debt except for the mortgage...I put on 55 Lbs over eight years anyway...
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My parents grew up in extreme poverty, were obese (mom still is, dad lost a lot due to diabetes), and have a house so cluttered and junky, their grandkids don't want to spend the night.

I'm left with messages of "It's still good" when I offer to help move something, so I imagine there's some connection.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I believe this to be true.

I was a healthy weight, until my depression. It started creeping on without me noticing. I was still managing my studies, but my apartment got messier, I gained weight, I spent more money on crap to make myself happy...

I didn't realise it was depression/ compassion fatigue (I'm a vet student), so I just kept going.
    And the messier and more horrible my home became, the more bad I felt and the more crap food I would eat.

It wasn't until my friend visited me unexpected and commented the mountain of dirty dishes, and dirt (I'm so ashamed writing this).
    That was a breaking point. I went to the doctor, got refered to a psychiatrist (thank God we have free healthcare), and took time off from my studies.

I'm on MFP to lose the depression-weight. Bloody hard work. Turns out I'm an emotional eater, and overeat when stressed and sad.
    I haven't exactly chosen a good field to work in based on this, haha.. :)

I'm so proud of you for realizing the problem and doing something about it! xo
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Just because I am fat and poor doesn't mean I don't pick up after myself.

I was a single mom pretty much till my kids were late teens, and I never had much money, and was always struggling to make ends meet. When the kids were getting ready for school or an event I always told them "We may be poor, but we don't have to look like it."
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    My house is terribly cluttered and I'm not overweight.

LOL...AND you have a Eunice! I want her job, is she retiring soon?!!!!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. I think it depends on why those situations occur. I wasn't taught how to eat, but I was taught how to handle money as well as clean. For me, my lack of clutter is deeply rooted in control.