Things you shouldn't juice

Options
I got tired of lumpy protein shakes and finally bought a blender that destroys all solid foods. I also found it awesome for turning that giant bag of mandarins we bought at Costco into easily gulped down juice. So, as a gardener I'm thinking this is a good way to use up surplus produce. Then I was thinking there are things that would be terrible to juice, like onions. How about zucchini, green beans, or lettuce? What have you juiced that turned out to be a bad idea? Or what sounds like a weird thing to juice that is actually good?

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options
    i always put veggies in my smoothie along with fruit
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Red beets. I thought I was bleeding to death! Lol

Hahaha
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Adding too much psyllium husk powder, my smoothie had the taste and consistency of a sand pit! :confounded:
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Testes.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    My husband juices everything. Cabbage, onion, garlic, lettuce/spinach, celery... As far as I know, anything goes.

My favorite is carrot and beet. The beet is really good! Add some ginger too! Nevermind the pink pee and beet colored poo!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I got tired of lumpy protein shakes and finally bought a blender that destroys all solid foods. I also found it awesome for turning that giant bag of mandarins we bought at Costco into easily gulped down juice. So, as a gardener I'm thinking this is a good way to use up surplus produce. Then I was thinking there are things that would be terrible to juice, like onions. How about zucchini, green beans, or lettuce? What have you juiced that turned out to be a bad idea? Or what sounds like a weird thing to juice that is actually good?

Zucchini is perfectly fine in a smoothie as is (IMO) beets. I don't juice, but I imagine they'd be no worse in juice.

Never tried onions or green beans in a smoothie, but they don't seem appealing (onion too strong in flavor in a way that wouldn't go with the other additions, green beans I just prefer cooked). Had some bad combinations, but never anything that didn't work at all (but I haven't tried flavors that wouldn't go -- stuff like cauliflower, broccoli, most greens, avocado, and winter squash have all been fine, though).
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I don't suppose an aubergine would taste well. Or a potato. Now I think about it I doubt that I would juice any food that I wouldn't eat raw/fresh. But then again that's individual preference. Like I wouldn't eat a mushroom raw but there are lots of others that would. However, I wonder if parsnip juice would taste good.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Red beets. I thought I was bleeding to death! Lol

Noooo I love a beet smoothie! So good.

Yes... you will pee pink. I just think of it as a limited time only special color pee haha.

Oh, my. If I grow beets in the spring I'll have to keep that in mind. LOL.
    fidangul wrote: »
    I don't suppose an aubergine would taste well. Or a potato. Now I think about it I doubt that I would juice any food that I wouldn't eat raw/fresh. But then again that's individual preference. Like I wouldn't eat a mushroom raw but there are lots of others that would. However, I wonder if parsnip juice would taste good.

The if you don't eat it raw, don't drink it raw rule does make lots of sense.
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    My husband juices everything. Cabbage, onion, garlic, lettuce/spinach, celery... As far as I know, anything goes.

My favorite is carrot and beet. The beet is really good! Add some ginger too! Nevermind the pink pee and beet colored poo!

Though, if your husband can drink cabbage and onions, then anything goes. I'm starting to think a try it and find out approach may be in order.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    As to beets & peeing (or pooing) pink:
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    an iphone ... even though the good folks at blendtec say it can be done
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    As to beets & peeing (or pooing) pink:

I learn something new everyday!
    jvcjim wrote: »
    an iphone ... even though the good folks at blendtec say it can be done

The secret ingredient is phone.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hamsters
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Avocados are AMAZING in smoothies, they make them the perfect creamy texture and taste NOTHING like avocados. I recommend trying it even if you think you hate them because I swear it does not taste like them!!

A clove of garlic blends right in.

One time I put in too much ground flax seed, it was HORRIBLE! I have made some really nasty combinations over the years, but mostly because I didn't do good proportions.

My favorite thing to do though is just buy any organic frozen fruits and veggies I can and use those! They are cheaper, last indefinitely, and cold :) which is much yummier than warm.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Do the hamsters and testes fall into the category of things not to juice or were you answering my question about weird things to juice that turned out to be good?

:smiley: haha!!!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    I have tried brocolli and califlower with my regular green stuff and fruit and they just taste fine but changes the consistancy too much>
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Someone juice okra. I'm curious.