Id love some advice

Options
2»

Replies

• Kurriana
    Kurriana Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Please talk to your doctor about whether you are medically approved to exercise, and what type.

I did and i am
  • Kurriana
    Kurriana Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! I will go back to walking to ramp up again. I used to run attractions at universal so i was always moving. Now im at a desk job and i gained all of my loss back from stress. My dr is confident that if i can get back down that my vertigo will stop. I appreciate all of your insight and I will do everything I can and start slow.
    Thank you so much again and enjoy the holidays :)
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    You got to go the diet route, before you can get into the condition where you can sustain exercise. By diet, I do not mean self deprivation. I mean changing the way you eat, because we all have a diet. Start eating healthier. More fruits and veggies. Less fried, greasy foods. Get into the habit of preparing your own meals. Pinterest has lots of good recipes. Look at how bodybuilders like Jay Cutler and Kai Green eat on Youtube. Switch from enriched wheat flower products to whole grains. Cut back on sugar. It takes time to revamp your diet, so don't get discouraged. Just keep incorporating healthier options little by little. It's can seem hard at first, but you'll start getting used to it in time, and it gets easier. Also, cut back on your salt/ sodium intake.
    Going for walks might be good.

The average person does not need to eat like a pro body builder......

Above all, follow MFP's calorie suggestion for *your* body. Working on making healthier choices is a good idea, but calorie deficit is key.

I know the average person doesn't need to eat like a bodybuilder. It's just motivational and educational to me. You can take bits and pieces from it, or watch what people who you consider motivational do.
    A calorie deficit isn't going to help much with high blood pressure, if she's getting too much sodium in her diet.

I don't believe she was asking how to improve her blood pressure, she was asking how she could lose weight.
    Weight loss can in fact help lower blood pressure. So, yeah, I guess you could say that a calorie deficit *could* help with BP too.
    I'm not saying don't attempt to eat healthier. A person could eat like those guys and gain weight though, which is not going to help her achieve her goal of weight loss.

The idea is to eat "clean". You don't have to eat as much as they do. I know they're on roids, so normal people aren't going to be duplicating their regimens, but they're inspirational. It's about getting ideas to form something for yourself, not just copying exactly what someone else is doing.

Kai Greene motivates me to try to eat 9 lbs of beef every day. That is only 36 quarter-pound burgers (throwing aways the buns of course to make it clean).
    http://muscle-insider.com/features/how-predator-kai-greene-trains-supplements-and-eats

I wouldn't really consider ground beef clean. Too much fat. I know you can buy it leaner, but still. From what I've watched they eat a lot of skinless, baked, or pan seared chicken, brown rice, cooked vegetables, fish, stuff like that. They motivate me to workout and pay attention to my diet. I eat mostly vegetarian.
    They're freaks. I say that with the utmost respect. I don't want to be like them, because I think it's unhealthy, but they inspire me. If that's not your thing, find what is. Oh, I forgot to mention Big Ronnie Coleman and Lee Haney.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    You got to go the diet route, before you can get into the condition where you can sustain exercise. By diet, I do not mean self deprivation. I mean changing the way you eat, because we all have a diet. Start eating healthier. More fruits and veggies. Less fried, greasy foods. Get into the habit of preparing your own meals. Pinterest has lots of good recipes. Look at how bodybuilders like Jay Cutler and Kai Green eat on Youtube. Switch from enriched wheat flower products to whole grains. Cut back on sugar. It takes time to revamp your diet, so don't get discouraged. Just keep incorporating healthier options little by little. It's can seem hard at first, but you'll start getting used to it in time, and it gets easier. Also, cut back on your salt/ sodium intake.

Above all, follow MFP's calorie suggestion for *your* body. Working on making healthier choices is a good idea, but calorie deficit is key.

I know the average person doesn't need to eat like a bodybuilder. It's just motivational and educational to me. You can take bits and pieces from it, or watch what people who you consider motivational do.
    A calorie deficit isn't going to help much with high blood pressure, if she's getting too much sodium in her diet.

I don't believe she was asking how to improve her blood pressure, she was asking how she could lose weight.
    Weight loss can in fact help lower blood pressure. So, yeah, I guess you could say that a calorie deficit *could* help with BP too.
    I'm not saying don't attempt to eat healthier. A person could eat like those guys and gain weight though, which is not going to help her achieve her goal of weight loss.

The idea is to eat "clean". You don't have to eat as much as they do. I know they're on roids, so normal people aren't going to be duplicating their regimens, but they're inspirational. It's about getting ideas to form something for yourself, not just copying exactly what someone else is doing.

Kai Greene motivates me to try to eat 9 lbs of beef every day. That is only 36 quarter-pound burgers (throwing aways the buns of course to make it clean).
    http://muscle-insider.com/features/how-predator-kai-greene-trains-supplements-and-eats

I wouldn't really consider ground beef clean. Too much fat. I know you can buy it leaner, but still. From what I've watched they eat a lot of skinless, baked, or pan seared chicken, brown rice, cooked vegetables, fish, stuff like that. They motivate me to workout and pay attention to my diet. I eat mostly vegetarian.
    They're freaks. I say that with the utmost respect. I don't want to be like them, because I think it's unhealthy, but they inspire me. If that's not your thing, find what is. Oh, I forgot to mention Big Ronnie Coleman and Lee Haney.

I would consider beef to be "clean". Gotta get fats from somewhere....
    These guys eating lower fat meats like chicken/fish is usually saved for show prep, to "thin the skin" before competition as they say. (Really just cutting out more dietary fats to further reduce body fat..) From what I've seen, ground beef is very popular for competitors on and off season. Dietary fat is a good thing.

All the guys you've mentioned really are "freaks" as you said, weighing well over 200+ lbs in lean mass alone. To put on mass in the off season most of them do not eat the same foods they do during prep. The calories required for these guys to maintain, let alone gain weight, is ridiculous. Have you ever watched bulking videos from these big guys? A lot of them are eating entire pizzas for breakfast in the off season. When you weigh near 300 lbs in the off season, and it takes a crap load of calories to fuel training/life for a body that large.
    It's cool that their prep diets motivate you, but most people aren't going to relate.
  • mgalovic01
    edited December 2016
    Options

I would consider beef to be "clean". Gotta get fats from somewhere....
    These guys eating lower fat meats like chicken/fish is usually saved for show prep, to "thin the skin" before competition as they say. (Really just cutting out more dietary fats to further reduce body fat..) From what I've seen, ground beef is very popular for competitors on and off season. Dietary fat is a good thing.

All the guys you've mentioned really are "freaks" as you said, weighing well over 200+ lbs in lean mass alone. To put on mass in the off season most of them do not eat the same foods they do during prep. The calories required for these guys to maintain, let alone gain weight, is ridiculous. Have you ever watched bulking videos from these big guys? A lot of them are eating entire pizzas for breakfast in the off season. When you weigh near 300 lbs in the off season, and it takes a crap load of calories to fuel training/life for a body that large.
    It's cool that their prep diets motivate you, but most people aren't going to relate.

There are other ways to get dietary fat. Extra virgin olive oil, avocados, eggs, flaxeed oil, cheese, and fish oil. The saturated fats in ground beef are not ideal. I mean it's better if you're buying organic meat, but who can afford it? Cows raised on grain to fatten them up, instead of pasture, factory farming, with cows put on antibiotics and slaughtered by the age of two just isn't meat I want to eat. I guess, if you cook it on the Foreman it could be considered clean, but not to me. It's mostly steak and skinless chicken and fish and shakes for protein for prep.
    Like I said, they're on roids so their bodies use up a lot more protein and other nutrients to feed and build their huge muscles. They further thin their skin with the drugs and dehydration. They motivate me in general. Their life revolves around fitness. It just puts me into a fitness state of mind. Their freakish builds are formidable.
    I know a lot of people won't relate. That's why I say go find someone who inspires you.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Well that's fine if you want to file ground chuck steak under unapproved food source, but your rules are completely arbitrary. The OP can follow your approved food source list exactly, and still gain weight if she does not achieve a calorie deficit. The point I am making is that the two bodybuilders you mentioned as an inspiration to eat clean do not even follow your definition of eating clean. During contest prep, many bodybuilders eat low fat because they are on poverty macros and need to keep their carbs up to maintain their workout intensity and their protein up to maintain lean mass. And yes, saturated fats in beef are absolutely ideal because if you are on low-fat diet, then testosterone synthesis is proportional to sat fat intake. One of the many reasons that off season diet is usually very different than contest prep diet.

I'm not trying to pick on you, so I hope you don't interpret this that way. I actually don't think your suggestions are harmful, but none of this conjecture about food rules will help the OP with her question about exercise with high BP.
  • mgalovic01
    Options

Well that's fine if you want to file ground chuck steak under unapproved food source, but your rules are completely arbitrary. The OP can follow your approved food source list exactly, and still gain weight if she does not achieve a calorie deficit. The point I am making is that the two bodybuilders you mentioned as an inspiration to eat clean do not even follow your definition of eating clean. During contest prep, many bodybuilders eat low fat because they are on poverty macros and need to keep their carbs up to maintain their workout intensity and their protein up to maintain lean mass. And yes, saturated fats in beef are absolutely ideal because if you are on low-fat diet, then testosterone synthesis is proportional to sat fat intake. One of the many reasons that off season diet is usually very different than contest prep diet.

I'm not trying to pick on you, so I hope you don't interpret this that way. I actually don't think your suggestions are harmful, but none of this conjecture about food rules will help the OP with her question about exercise with high BP.

From what I've seen carb intake goes down for prep. Carbs increase water retention. The diet turns to mostly protein and veg prior to a show. The thing is, they pay meticulous attention to their diet. They weigh out their food. They spend a lot of time and money doing that. That inspires me to pay more attention to my diet. As I keep restating, they're on roids. If they eat a whole pizza for breakfast and still work out, the majority of those calories are going to be used to synthesis muscles, not stored as fat, like for us nattys. I get that. There's no way they eat like that during prep though. They're disciplined. That's what inspires me. As far as them needing to synthesize testosterone, they don't. They get it from a needle. Plus, I rather not clog my arteries eating saturated fat. I can increase by test levels by eating almonds, green leafy and cruciferous veg, eggs, and getting enough vitamin D and other vitamins and minerals.
  • KelBgess
    KelBgess Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sticking to a balanced, low carb/low fat diet, drink lots of water and taking it easy with cardio. Walking is a great option. I highly recommend starting a weight lifting/strength training routine. Definitely start slow and work your way up - even with the diet/food. Making too many big changes makes it harder to stay consistent. You can do it!! Best of luck:)