Unable to do parallel squats!

Options
No matter how hard I try! If I go lower,my knees are too far over my toes and they hurt.
I'm short with short legs - I don't know if that's the reason. Any tips and does it matter a lot?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Knees going over your toes are supposed to happen, and there's nothing wrong with that. Can't speak to why your knees hurt without more information though. But if I were to guess, it's probably because you aren't squatting to/below parallel.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I thought they weren't supposed to actually overshoot your toes though? Something- I can't work out what- seems to be stopping me from going to or below parallel,no matter how hard I try. Guess I'll just have to keep at it.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If you are doing weighted squats just use the bar or body weight and see how it feels. In my case when I first started doing body weight squats below parallel I had to hold onto my kitchen counter and pull myself up with my arms to build up the muscles in my legs. I always thought the knees past toes was about not letting your knees splay out too far. If it is about a forward motion then I am guessing you need to lean back. I try to think about pushing the floor away through my heels and I find myself automatically shifting back a bit.
  • aussieketogal
    aussieketogal Posts: 73 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have a bad knee and struggle doing squats in midair so my PT suggested using a ball or even the big blow up balls and placing the ball between back and wall and 'rolling' down the wall into a squat. Helps to keep everything straight and provides some extra stability whilst still working the leg muscles.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion is using a strap or belt or the like, and doing assisted squats. It's much easier to control your form and adds a lot of stability.
    rpirf4vf1pqy.png

• comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips. Looking at the pictures I think probably assisted squats is the way to go. I did start to do weighted squats but found that even more tricky so I've reverted to body squats. I'll try the techniques above- thanks again!
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips. Looking at the pictures I think probably assisted squats is the way to go. I did start to do weighted squats but found that even more tricky so I've reverted to body squats. I'll try the techniques above- thanks again!

One more tip, keep your motion slow and your form controlled, and try holding in the squat for 2 or 3 seconds. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the results. :)
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I will do- thanks
    :smiley:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Continue to work on form, but also understand that not everyone can parallel squat. Some people anatomically just cannnot achieve that level. A body like the woman in the picture with the band is something you are born with, not something everyone can do.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Continue to work on form, but also understand that not everyone can parallel squat. Some people anatomically just cannnot achieve that level. A body like the woman in the picture with the band is something you are born with, not something everyone can do.

Yup - I'm starting to realise that :wink:
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    OK as an experiment I tried squatting while holding onto the kitchen worktop. Even with that, what happens when I try to get to parallel is that I can feel my feet rolling inwards (is it called pronating?) Which I'm pretty certain is not a good thing.
    I'll just have to carry on working at it!
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Yep, keep experimenting. Also remember, you will still get benefits from partial squats, as long as you aren't injuring yourself. Maybe not the entire benefit others see, but you're still working most of the same muscle groups.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Also try box squats and goblet squats and third world squats (where you assume the position for extended periods) they can all help your range of motion and form
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Thank you!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I can't parallel squat at all. I can get close and I've improved greatly. I can get decent depth in an assisted squat. I get better depth with a wider stance, but... squats are just difficult for me. I've made my peace with it. I concentrate on the rest of my form and keeping my chest up, etc, and just do them.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I can't parallel squat at all. I can get close and I've improved greatly. I can get decent depth in an assisted squat. I get better depth with a wider stance, but... squats are just difficult for me. I've made my peace with it. I concentrate on the rest of my form and keeping my chest up, etc, and just do them.

Thank you,that makes me feel better. Was starting to think I was the only one......
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I'm probably expecting too much. I'm 61 and started this 3 months ago after years of chronic illness,degenerated discs and long periods on steroids (prednisolone- not anabolic!) which weaken the muscles. I'll keep at it and thanks for the encouragement!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    OK as an experiment I tried squatting while holding onto the kitchen worktop. Even with that, what happens when I try to get to parallel is that I can feel my feet rolling inwards (is it called pronating?) Which I'm pretty certain is not a good thing.

How are your feet pointing, and how wide are you standing? I get the sense you're trying to keep your feet pointed directly forward, which is unnatural for most people, once the feet get wider than hip-width apart.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

How are your feet pointing, and how wide are you standing? I get the sense you're trying to keep your feet pointed directly forward, which is unnatural for most people, once the feet get wider than hip-width apart.

I've tried feet forward- which I find easier- and feet slightly apart. I can get lower when they're apart but that's when I also feel my feet rolling in and my knees rolling out.
    I'm guessing that my legs and ankles may not be strong enough -yet! - to do it properly.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    No matter how hard I try! If I go lower,my knees are too far over my toes and they hurt.
    I'm short with short legs - I don't know if that's the reason. Any tips and does it matter a lot?

I have this problem too. You need to do box squats. Check out some youtube videos. You make the box as high as you can go without hurting your knees and then you slowly lower the box as you get stronger.

fwiw...I don't do squats and I know a lot who don't. I hip thrust instead and do deadlifts, cable pull throughs, etc.