Unable to do parallel squats!

Options

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So- major important question- can you *kitten*?

Because if you can - then guess what- you can squat.

I cannot fill in that blank - it's probably the cold medicine. Someone give me a clue.

sheet.

if you can sheet- then you can squat.

Actually, it's more getting on and off the potty seat using only your legs (not using a vanity or other support to help). Next time you're there, check your leg position, you are at parallel. If you can get down and up, you're doing a squat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

I cannot fill in that blank - it's probably the cold medicine. Someone give me a clue.

sheet.

Actually, it's more getting on and off the potty seat using only your legs (not using a vanity or other support to help). Next time you're there, check your leg position, you are at parallel. If you can get down and up, you're doing a squat.

kind of my point LOL
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

sheet.

OK.
    Then shall I post a pic?
    :smiley:
    Seriously- I see what you mean. I'll check....
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

sheet.

OK.
    Then shall I post a pic?

Some assisted squats use both a seat and a strap, until muscle and strength are built.

I suppose you could use the throne :D
  • comptonelizabeth
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

sheet.

OK.
    Then shall I post a pic?

Some assisted squats use both a seat and a strap, until muscle and strength are built.

You know what - I've a feeling it won't work. Pretty sure my feet don't touch the ground when I'm on it! (I told you they were short!) But I've a low kind of ottoman thing I could use.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha. If @comptonelizabeth's legs are the length of mine (27"), we are the same height, her feet don't reach the floor when sitting on a modern toilet.

We have an older Autumn gold from the 70's in a seldom used bathroom and that would work for me if needed, just.

If you can, go to the pool and practice them there. I don't know the science behind it, (less stress on joints?), but doing Aqua fit really helped me with mobility in general, and squatting in particular. (just one small 60something woman trying to stay healthy to another)

Cheers, h.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    comptonelizabeth's legs are the length of mine (27"), we are the same height, her feet don't reach the floor when sitting on a modern toilet.

We have an older Autumn gold from the 70's in a seldom used bathroom and that would work for me if needed, just.

If you can, go to the pool and practice them there. I don't know the science behind it, (less stress on joints?), but doing Aqua fit really helped me with mobility in general, and squatting in particular. (just one small 60something woman trying to stay healthy to another)

Cheers, h.
    Haha that's exactly it!
    Think they do aqua fit at our local pool - thanks for the suggestion :smile:

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

sheet.

OK.
    Then shall I post a pic?

You know what - I've a feeling it won't work. Pretty sure my feet don't touch the ground when I'm on it! (I told you they were short!) But I've a low kind of ottoman thing I could use.
    The ottoman would work, or any bench/chair that lets you plant your feet firmly.

Stability would be key I think. If necessary you could also use a wall until your legs are stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRph0h2QAys
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @comptonelizabeth
    One of the Aqua fit drills is starting at armpit depth standing and walking sideways to the shallow water always keeping the water at the same level. You eventually get to an ATG water squat then work your way back up.
    The other is just crab walking back and forth in the same depth until you can go a little lower over time.

With the degenerative discs and weakened muscles, through years of steroids, you may find Aqua fit benificial not only as a cardio work out but to strengthen your muscles ( not sure of your overall fitness level) and increase your mobility, flexibility and balance.

People think it is only for little old ladies but, depending on the instructor and what you put into it, it can be an excellent work out.

Cheers, h.
    Haha, I have been test squatting all the seats in the house. My kitchen step stool at 9" is the best. Works well for step ups too.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    @comptonelizabeth
    One of the Aqua fit drills is starting at armpit depth standing and walking sideways to the shallow water always keeping the water at the same level. You eventually get to an ATG water squat then work your way back up.
    The other is just crab walking back and forth in the same depth until you can go a little lower over time.

With the degenerative discs and weakened muscles, through years of steroids, you may find Aqua fit benificial not only as a cardio work out but to strengthen your muscles ( not sure of your overall fitness level) and increase your mobility, flexibility and balance.

People think it is only for little old ladies but, depending on the instructor and what you put into it, it can be an excellent work out.

Cheers, h.
    Haha, I have been test squatting all the seats in the house. My kitchen step stool at 9" is the best. Works well for step ups too.

Thank you for all this - much appreciated! Think I'll need something higher than 9" but hey, I can aim for it!
  • comptonelizabeth
    edited December 2016
    Options

sheet.

OK.
    Then shall I post a pic?

The ottoman would work, or any bench/chair that lets you plant your feet firmly.

Stability would be key I think. If necessary you could also use a wall until your legs are stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRph0h2QAys

Thank you !
    Ps great video
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    No matter how hard I try! If I go lower,my knees are too far over my toes and they hurt.
    I'm short with short legs - I don't know if that's the reason. Any tips and does it matter a lot?

I have the same issue. Try doing pause squats with a higher weight, and incorporate some band work and stretching in order to open your hip flexors. I make a point to dedicate about 20 minutes 4-5 x a week to stretching (although I should do it daily). Makes a big difference in form.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    No matter how hard I try! If I go lower,my knees are too far over my toes and they hurt.
    I'm short with short legs - I don't know if that's the reason. Any tips and does it matter a lot?

I have the same issue. Try doing pause squats with a higher weight, and incorporate some band work and stretching in order to open your hip flexors. I make a point to dedicate about 20 minutes 4-5 x a week to stretching (although I should do it daily). Makes a big difference in form.

Thanks- what do you do to stretch,if you don't mind my asking?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

sheet.

OK.
    Then shall I post a pic?

I was just going to post about this whole thing not applying to short people! And I don't have short legs. In fact, I have long femurs, but my legs are not parallel when I'm, um, doing that kind of squat. I have to sort of put my feet on tiptoe.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thanks- what do you do to stretch,if you don't mind my asking?

I've got a lot of issues with my right hip flexor that affect my squats. My physical therapist assigned me these:

http://www.stack.com/a/4-hip-flexor-stretches-to-relieve-tight-hips

(Disclaimer: that link just happened to have all the exercises my PT assigned to me... That particular site or video wasn't recommended to me by my PT.)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

But not everyone can. That's why you see the handrails in the "bomb sight" toilets in some older buildings in Europe.

Or people with dirty shoes.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Warched the video. Thought from the link you provided that he would show 4 stretches. Wondered what happened to the other two? ;-)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Warched the video. Thought from the link you provided that he would show 4 stretches. Wondered what happened to the other two? ;-)

Lol I have no idea. Maybe he never finished the other two because he got distracted by the need to practice his squat technique over the throne.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

But not everyone can. That's why you see the handrails in the "bomb sight" toilets in some older buildings in Europe.

Or people with dirty shoes.

I actually have a real problem with those hole in the ground toilets :smiley:
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

sheet.

OK.
    Then shall I post a pic?

I was just going to post about this whole thing not applying to short people! And I don't have short legs. In fact, I have long femurs, but my legs are not parallel when I'm, um, doing that kind of squat. I have to sort of put my feet on tiptoe.

Until now I've never actually given it any thought! Now I'm excited to see what happens next time I go.