Do i need to drink protein after each work out?

Options
Also soy or whey?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    depends if you get enough protein in your usual diet?
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    well I researched that you have 45 minutes to get protein in your system after doing workouts and weight training or it will break down the muscle you already have and that the protein powder gets in your system quicker
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Getting in some protein post-workout is helpful to initiate muscle building and speed up recovery. You don't have to drink it as a supplement. You can eat a meal if you'd like with ~30 g of a high quality protein source. If you do like protein supplements, whey protein is the best. Avoid soy protein. It's very low quality and dines't have enough leucine to initiate muscle protein synthesis.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    terbusha wrote: »
    If you do like protein supplements, whey protein is the best. Avoid soy protein. It's very low quality and dines't have enough leucine to initiate muscle protein synthesis.

Source? I've never heard that about soy.

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Not really, as long as you're getting a sufficient amount of protein throughout the day. Also, since your body breaks everything down anyway, there's not a definitive difference between eating or drinking your protein unless you're a bodybuilder and even then it's pretty minimal.

Protein is used for a lot of things in the body-- not just building muscle. Protein is an essential building block for bones, cartilage, skin, and your blood. It makes enzymes, hormones, and other important chemicals in the body (ever see someone go on a juice diet with no protein and three days later they're acting crazy? That's one of the many reasons why) Your hair and nails are made of protein. And yes, protein helps to build and repair tissue, ie; muscles.

Because of these many different functions, protein is important for people who are working out and/or losing weight. However, not all of that is going to occur in a 45 minute window after you work out. A protein-based snack like jerky, hardboiled eggs, or greek yogurt soon after your workout may help you from feeling ravenous afterwards though.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Probably not.

And if you do, the type (considering we're talking about one shake/drink) really won't matter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    well I researched that you have 45 minutes to get protein in your system after doing workouts and weight training or it will break down the muscle you already have and that the protein powder gets in your system quicker

Getting enough protein throughout the day is going to have far more impact than making sure you hit some window after a workout. I do supplement to hit my targets and I do generally take it shortly after my workout...but I don't necessarily think it makes a great deal of difference.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Protein if your workout is a serious progressive heavy lifting routine. Carbs if it's a serious cardio routine.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Maybe top bodybuilders that is the case but you are doing weightloss as I understand. While losing weight you will not build muscle but protein and strength traisth

How do yoy figure i wont gain muscle?
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Maybe top bodybuilders that is the case but you are doing weightloss as I understand. While losing weight you will not build muscle but protein and strength traisth

You
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to gain muscle while eating in a calorie deficit.

You can get stronger, but that is not the same as building new muscle tissue.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Because you're losing weight -- you can't gain weight (which is what happens when you are building muscle) and lose it at the same time. To build muscle, you need a surplus of calories. To lose weight, you need to be in a deficit. You can only do one at a time.
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Get sugars, and some bcaa's ... protein synthesis is a long process its not necessary to gulp down a shake immediately after a workout, but for recovery bcaa's and some sugar.. a few gummy bears or a pixie stix, fruit, peanut butter or something will help with gycogen levels. Glycogen creates atp which helps with the energy within our cells ... also the sugars will give you an insulin spike which aids in the release of ifg1 ....thats a simple break, down its much more scientific but what you eat postworkout is very important and plays a part in recovery as well as maintaining and or building muscle, and weight loss
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, there is no need to drink a protein shake after each workout, but if you like protein shakes and include them in your calories they will do you no harm.

Pretty good discussion: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrient-timing
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Define: workout.

What's a workout for you?
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Define: workout.

What's a workout for you?

45 minutes to an hour of cardio and 30 minutes of General weight training
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    It's very difficult to gain muscle while eating in a calorie deficit.

You can get stronger, but that is not the same as building new muscle tissue.

so you're saying my weight training is pointless