Do i need to drink protein after each work out?

Options

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to gain muscle while eating in a calorie deficit.

You can get stronger, but that is not the same as building new muscle tissue.

so you're saying my weight training is pointless

quite the opposite. weight training in a deficit will convince the body to hold on to all the muscle it can and burn up mostly fat instead. in a realistic deficit at least.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

No, that's not what GottaBurnEmAll is saying.
    jdog022 wrote: »

quite the opposite. weight training in a deficit will convince the body to hold on to all the muscle it can and burn up mostly fat instead. in a realistic deficit at least.

This. Weight training helps to retain what you have with possible strength gains.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I hear a protein shot does wonders. Dunno if it's true though.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Define: workout.

What's a workout for you?

45 minutes to an hour of cardio and 30 minutes of General weight training

You probably don't need much of anything after that. When is your next meal after you work out?

For example, I usually have a snack after work, then do whatever workout I'm going to do, and then eat dinner. I don't need to consume anything else.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    well I researched that you have 45 minutes to get protein in your system after doing workouts and weight training or it will break down the muscle you already have and that the protein powder gets in your system quicker
    Wherever you read that from is misinformed. More than likely from a fitness magazine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• aquadolly_
    aquadolly_ Posts: 19 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Am learning a lot from the post. My goals are to both lose weight and gain muscle. My trainer had recommended to me a few months ago to actually increase my calories focusing on trying to increase my protein. Suggested to spend less time on cardio (but still do it) and to add in both weight training and HiiT. She did explain something to the effect of calorie deficits and cardio helping to lose weight and decrease my body fat but could also mean losing muscle, while getting more calories especially through more proteins and weights/HiiT would build the muscle. (Hope I'm understanding it correctly :smile: ). But it was a gradual process of finding the right balance to get both results. It's been 3 months and I have lost about 12 pounds or so, lost body fat and see muscle development. May not seem like a lot of weight to some but I'm very happy with it and feel great. It's solid and steady loss and so far isn't creeping back on (fingers crossed lol). I do have more proteins through chicken and eggs and things but started drinking protein shakes as well. I do stay away from soy because some suggest they do not contain all the essential aminos although I don't know if that's true or not. I'm not vegan and can digest wheys otherwise I would probably use a pea or rice based protein. I really like a brand called Trutein whose protein powders are a combination of whey, egg and casein. All of the flavors I have tried are delicious. I also drink BCAAs and think those are helpful too. It's been slow and steady and constantly adjusting things to find the optimal balance but think it's going well. Feel like I have an even better understanding of everything after reading all your posts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    ^that^ - but if you do get protein powder, I'd recommend casein protein as opposed to whey
    Why? Because casein is slower digesting?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    ^that^ - but if you do get protein powder, I'd recommend casein protein as opposed to whey

Reasons?
  • aquadolly_
    aquadolly_ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's what I understood. That whey digests quickly but casein takes a longer time to digest. Casein supposedly make you feel fuller longer and feeds the muscles for a longer period of time versus whey alone.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    aquadolly_ wrote: »
    That's what I understood. That whey digests quickly but casein takes a longer time to digest. Casein supposedly make you feel fuller longer and feeds the muscles for a longer period of time versus whey alone.

Casein being slower digesting would make it a poor candidate for the "anabolic window" as the whole point is that you want to spike insulin levels as well as leucine levels as quickly as possible to spur muscle protein synthesis in short order (that is, if you are one of the very few people to whom nutrient timing even matters, which the OP is not) and whey is the superior option for those purposes.
    There is an argument to be made for combining whey with casein (whey to induce protein synthesis more quickly and casein to cause synthesis to then continue for a longer duration) but casein alone is more suited as a bedtime snack so that you have a long lasting protein source to sleep on.

That said, I don't mess with casein because it's too foamy and gross and I can't get it down.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe top bodybuilders that is the case but you are doing weightloss as I understand. While losing weight you will not build muscle but protein and strength traisth

How do yoy figure i wont gain muscle?

Because you're losing weight -- you can't gain weight (which is what happens when you are building muscle) and lose it at the same time. To build muscle, you need a surplus of calories. To lose weight, you need to be in a deficit. You can only do one at a time.

@janejellyroll

No you don't need a surplus of calories or to be gaining weight to add gain muscle. It's important when fighting myths not to add more myths into the debate!

This would be worth you reading.
    http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm pretty sure she's not saying that.

You won't gain any appreciable muscle while in a deficit. You will help preserve the muscle you have already. That helps for your overall composition while you are losing weight.

Chugging a protein shake after your workout won't make much difference if you are already getting sufficient protein in the rest of your overall diet.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't stress over it. After a long workout I have no trouble eating and drinking, so I just keep it in the back of my mind that I want to include more protein after the workout and less carbs, since the body needs the protein for recovery and there isn't as much need for the energy from the carbs.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Just my $0.02 - I use protein shakes as a supplement to my regular diet. If I'm not going to make my protein intake for the day through food, I'll have a shake. I'd resist the idea that protein shakes are any kind of magic bullet, they are not. They're simply a supplement and (in my opinion) should be used as such. I concentrate more on getting what I need through food rather than a questionable window after a workout.

That said, an ice cold shake after an intense workout is extremely refreshing to me. If you like it OP, do it. But don't stress over it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Maybe top bodybuilders that is the case but you are doing weightloss as I understand. While losing weight you will not build muscle but protein and strength traisth

How do yoy figure i wont gain muscle?

Because you're losing weight -- you can't gain weight (which is what happens when you are building muscle) and lose it at the same time. To build muscle, you need a surplus of calories. To lose weight, you need to be in a deficit. You can only do one at a time.

@janejellyroll

No you don't need a surplus of calories or to be gaining weight to add gain muscle. It's important when fighting myths not to add more myths into the debate!

This would be worth you reading.
    http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/

Very very weak. It just picks out various studies and says some people managed to add muscle while in defecit and vice versa. This is not groundbreaking. Im sure it has happened but the vast majority of the time you cant gain in a defecit. If you took an anorexic to the gym will they build muscle? Crude example but it the point

I think there's some context missing from this discussion as evidenced by your example.

Whether or not actual muscle gains will occur in a deficit depends a great deal on the training age of the individual and their level of body fat.

I would tend to think of this on a sliding scale of sorts

<overweight beginner - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -lean experienced athlete>

On the left, you're in an ideal position to gain muscle in a deficit. On the right, very unlikely.

And of course I'm drastically oversimplifying as there are other relevant pieces like program design, nutrient intake (deficit size for example), how well the individual responds to exercise, how well they partition nutrients, etc.

The irony in MFP is that most people say "you can't gain muscle in a deficit" and yet the audience that typically receives this advice are overweight beginners, and I don't say that with any judgement attached to it.

Finally, I'm not sure how much you know about the authors of that post you're claiming as weak, but they're some of the best in the industry quite literally.

Well you know I'm not gonna argue with you sir - got too much respect for ya mate. I was more playing devils advocate to be honest as I was getting narked by other comments. It felt like an article that has set out to find something remote. I.e. If I was to write an article saying it rains in the desert I could find some evidence I'm sure that it does - but 90% of the time it doesn't. (no one challenge that, its an example).

For me I have lost weight and not gained much muscle at all. I have strengthened muscles that were already there. Now I am trying to add cals to gain muscle...but apparently I shouldn't? The author is a bodybuilder and he did appear a bit weak as his wording were all 'some', 'a few' and 'maybe' - nothing wrong with his sources for the article

Just for the record, you are more than welcome to disagree/debate, I welcome it and I'm wrong a lot too just like anyone else. No harm there.

On this particular issue though I think the "you can't build muscle in a deficit" gets thrown around in many cases where it is likely incorrect.